We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: pc suggestion

  1. #1

    pc suggestion

    wanna play lotro at ultra settings with smooth gamin performance . i know end game specifics not workin for lotro so any detailed pc setup would much appreciated.
    ram : x
    cpu : x
    gpu : x etc
    have a nice day

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,346
    Quote Originally Posted by d4vd4c99 View Post
    wanna play lotro at ultra settings with smooth gamin performance . i know end game specifics not workin for lotro so any detailed pc setup would much appreciated.
    ram : x
    cpu : x
    gpu : x etc
    have a nice day
    Good luck, LOTRO wont run smoothly at ANY setting, even on the latest Cray super computer.

    As for spec, it is a joke, just about any PC from the last 10 years, and any generation i3 series laptop or higher will run the game, for everything on, an ancient AMD Phenom 1090T will do that, as will a fast'ish Core2 cpu; both coupled with a basic 1GB or higher gfx card and 4GB of RAM.

    Even the demo videos SSG put out show hitching!

    Buy a spec based on what other things you want to do, just bear the following in mind.

    1/ Win7 works better than Win10.
    2/ LOTRO HATES Nvidia gfx cards.

    Any system you buy, you need to go through Hurins "One Guide" to download and install all the 3rd party programs LOTRO needs to work.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Maybury Hill
    Posts
    503
    Hi!

    Most modern systems will run the game fine, but to get the absolute best out of the game you will need:

    RAM: 8GB
    CPU: agreed that this isn’t too important these days, but an i5 will work better than an i3. Whatever the processor, for LOTRO core speed is more important than having loads of cores.
    GPU: Yes, 1GB + as a guide, but not just any card. I had a GeForce 210 with 1GB which couldn’t handle LOTRO at all, but I upgraded to a GTX 560 ti 448 with 1.25 GB and it blows the socks off the game at ultra high settings. I got it for free from a friend, but you can pick one up (or something else similar) for £30-£40 online.

    My laptop is so much newer than my desktop and struggles at anything past medium, so although it will run on most systems, it does need a few half decent parts to run at ultra. The dedicated GPU will make the most difference, and if you want to run other games too, go for the best you can afford. If you are in the UK, Ebuyer have the Radeon RX 570 8GB for sale at less than £160 at the moment, which is a mad deal if you are buying a rig to run more demanding games too.

    Not sure what the last poster means about needing third party software. I installed through Steam on an otherwise clean install of Windows 7, with direct x 11, and have had no problems at all. I also use an Nvidia card, as detailed above, with no problems.
    Last edited by TheArtilleryman; Jan 11 2019 at 07:19 AM.
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,346
    Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    Hi!

    Most modern systems will run the game fine, but to get the absolute best out of the game you will need:

    RAM: 8GB
    CPU: agreed that this isn’t too important these days, but an i5 will work better than an i3. Whatever the processor, for LOTRO core speed is more important than having loads of cores.
    GPU: Yes, 1GB + as a guide, but not just any card. I had a GeForce 210 with 1GB which couldn’t handle LOTRO at all, but I upgraded to a GTX 560 ti 448 with 1.25 GB and it blows the socks off the game at ultra high settings. I got it for free from a friend, but you can pick one up (or something else similar) for £30-£40 online.

    My laptop is so much newer than my desktop and struggles at anything past medium, so although it will run on most systems, it does need a few half decent parts to run at ultra. The dedicated GPU will make the most difference, and if you want to run other games too, go for the best you can afford. If you are in the UK, Ebuyer have the Radeon RX 570 8GB for sale at less than £160 at the moment, which is a mad deal if you are buying a rig to run more demanding games too.

    Not sure what the last poster means about needing third party software. I installed through Steam on an otherwise clean install of Windows 7, with direct x 11, and have had no problems at all. I also use an Nvidia card, as detailed above, with no problems.
    You must have had those needed programs installed by another program, prior to installing LOTRO, because LOTRO needs them and neither the forum or STEAM installer contains them.

    Surprised to hear you have no issues with the GFX card; the forums are regularly flooded with NV users with CTD issues, most have to run dx9 and NV seems to hate dx9 on LOTRO; Hurin has another whole thread about how to get around the issues with NV cards, and even the mods/devs regularly post the link to Hurins threads about install and gfx issues.

    Beyond 2GB, most GFX cards wont make the game any smoother, just give a higher framerate in areas that arent choked by the cpu; my very basic results a couple of years back - riding through Bree from North to South Gate and back again were showing only 1fps difference in the worst spots - between an ancient HD6770 1GB, a 2GB R7265 and a 8GB RX470, and on two different systems - Intel 775 3GHz Xeon Quadcore w/ 4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM, and AM3+ Phenom 1090T Hexacore 3.6GHz w/ 16GB DDR3 1866MHz RAM.

    6770 would give 60 fps max, the 7265 120 fps, and the RX470 160 fps, although in most areas that would quickly halve during combat.

    (As tested with FRAPS).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Maybury Hill
    Posts
    503
    That’s really interesting. I wonder why my card is working OK - strange (or lucky, I guess)

    Could you post the link about the programs required to make the game run? I would be really interested to read that.

    Thanks!
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Lancashire, UK
    Posts
    1,932
    Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    That’s really interesting. I wonder why my card is working OK - strange (or lucky, I guess)

    Could you post the link about the programs required to make the game run? I would be really interested to read that.

    Thanks!
    I think Yarbro means this - https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-Rule-Them-All

    As for the NVidia card thing, I've always run NVidia cards and haven't had any problems. I'm running a 1060 at the mo' and running Lotro in DX11 and haven't had a crash in months.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Maybury Hill
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by Altair6 View Post
    I think Yarbro means this - https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-Rule-Them-All

    As for the NVidia card thing, I've always run NVidia cards and haven't had any problems. I'm running a 1060 at the mo' and running Lotro in DX11 and haven't had a crash in months.
    Thanks!

    Software-wise, it just looks like if Windows has been fully updated and direct x installed, things should be fine. C+ + and .NET framework are installed via windows update. That’s why all was fine; I had everything updated and I always install all the “optional” updates as well as the “important” ones.

    Anyway, I hope we’ve answered the original question
    Last edited by TheArtilleryman; Jan 11 2019 at 03:11 PM.
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload