We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Crafting Overhaul Proposal

I'm thinking I am not the only one of opinion that the crafting system is in need of an overhaul. As such, I would like to propose a series of improvements that will help crafting to become relevant again, with improvements and changes across the board.

Crafting Panel

- Add a 4th tab to the crafting panel with which players can purchase an additional craft of any kind for LP. An explorer could add Weaponsmithing or Scholaring, etc, etc.
    - In the same spirit, allow players to purchase a SECOND guilded craft.
    - Add a checkmark: Continue crafting when you run out of crit items.
    - Add an option for auto-naming critted items instead of prompting. You can disable it, but it may be handy to autoname all critted things with a custom name.
    - Add a queue option. Say you need to make a full set of armor and skin some hides for it first..... Queue up: 1) skin 60 hides into leathers. 2) convert 20 of those leathers into the "purple" kind. 3) craft chest piece. 4) craft pants. Etc, etc...... you can just queue it all up an walk away, only to be interrupted when your tools break or you run out of an ingredient. Basically, an "add to queue" button next to the "craft" button.

Recipes

- Change the recipe structure to two regular level recipes instead of three. So instead of 22, 25 and 28... only have 23 and 27. (Still have "whole level" recipes such as 20 and 30, etc)
    - Change "single use" recipes to permanent ones, but still require the scholar crit item. Make them more rare to find.
    - Add beter recipe options for the level range of 51 through 69, it's hard to get any good crafted items during this level range.
    - Crafted items should not have a reputation gate, only the recipe should have. (Example: Forochel Tundra Cub LM pet tome)
    - Continue Guilded crafting after Westemnet. I'm fine with just one tier every 20 levels or so, so maybe just the "Ironfold" tier for 100-120 recipes.
    - Guilded Armor recipes for level 105, 115 and 120. They should be teal, and have slots for essences and be of similar level as what can be gotten from lootboxes at the 120 level.
    - Regular purple recipes for 105, 115 and 120, obviously not as good but it will get you started.
    - Add customizable minstrel instruments at lower levels. Instead of having to drum your way all the way up to Dunland where you can first craft a "flute of the battle singler".... offer similar options at levels 30, 40, 50, and 60.
    - More housing item recipes. Obviously furniture for woodworkers, but how about wall mounted shields or armor displays from Metalsmiths, weapon displays from weapon smiths, a variety of mats and carpets from tailors, orbs and trinket displays from jewelers, book stands and reading/scroll related items from scholars, elaborate food displays from cooks, etc, etc.... So much more can be done here.
    - Same for cosmetic items. Each zone should have unique cosmetic items that can be made by crafters. Tailors, Metalsmiths, Weaponsmiths, Woodworkers are obvious, but less obvious are perhaps Jewelers and Scholars, who could both make a variety of hand-held cosmetic items, and Cooks who could make large variety of backpacks and hand held foods. Who doesn't want to see a hobbit with a semi permanent PIE to whack people with?
    - Overhaul the stats on most recipes. If the recipe structure will change as suggested in my first suggestion, everything needs to be overhauled anyways..... so revamp the stats so they make more sense.
    - In addition to the above, more OPTIONS on crafted items, especially jewelry in the level 30-69 range..... what's the point of only being able to craft level 50 MIGHT bracelets if you have a WILL or AGILITY based class?

Tools

- Add "account wide" purchase of crafting tools, which could be handy for us Altoholics. Every toon gets a tool. One purchase, and done.
    - Add new level 120 tools. See guilded recipes above.

Getting Guilded

- Add more guild reputation quests or guild reputation instances (I am thinking such as the ones in Moria, Dunland, Rohan/Hytbold, etc....)
    - Make crafted guild patterns bound to ACCOUNT and make them UNIVERSAL, no matter the craft. That way you can help out your other crafters by crafting a few patterns when you are maxed out.
    - In addition to crafting guilded patterns to increase your guild reputation, also add random drops in level-appropriate zones that more or less are on level with the crafting recipes of that tier... these will be the UNIVERSAL kind as mentioned above, and also be bound to account.

Other

- Allow bound, worn armor to be broken down into pieces that can be re-used (just like the "processing" part) to re-create some leather or ingots or what have you..... Recycling, it's the new thing and we need a green(er) middle earth for future hobbitses!
    - More fishing pole options!
    - More items that increase running speed. They don't necessarily have to have other stats, you can just equip it when you are running errands in Frostbluff or the Shire!
    - Dare I say it: Craftable Ettenmoors PvP gear (whether audacity or other based).

I'm sure I am forgetting many things that will improve the "crafting quality of life", and I realize some of these might be MUCH to much work (such as changing stats and recipe levels), but it doesn't hurt to ask....

Add to these! Comment!
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks for the thread.

- Farming; it would be great if we could harvest more than one planting at a time.
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

Crafters should be able to acquire ALL recipes either by 1) Gaining crafting experience, 2) Crafting Guild Reputation.

The current Dommfold/Ironfold approach to buying recipes means that crafters must also be high-level adventures. It should be possible to be an expert jeweler without the need to kill dragons and stuff.

Its fine to have high-level equipment to special ingredients -- as long as the "Buyer" can give the items to the crafter to make things.
    It will never work, change always makes things worse, and Turbine doesn’t care about us anyway….” Eeyore
    But maybe it will have honey or even something better!!” -- Pooh

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    I'm thinking I am not the only one of opinion that the crafting system is in need of an overhaul. As such, I would like to propose a series of improvements that will help crafting to become relevant again, with improvements and changes across the board.

Crafting Panel

- Add a 4th tab to the crafting panel with which players can purchase an additional craft of any kind for LP. An explorer could add Weaponsmithing or Scholaring, etc, etc.
    - In the same spirit, allow players to purchase a SECOND guilded craft.
    - Add a checkmark: Continue crafting when you run out of crit items.
    - Add an option for auto-naming critted items instead of prompting. You can disable it, but it may be handy to autoname all critted things with a custom name.
    - Add a queue option. Say you need to make a full set of armor and skin some hides for it first..... Queue up: 1) skin 60 hides into leathers. 2) convert 20 of those leathers into the "purple" kind. 3) craft chest piece. 4) craft pants. Etc, etc...... you can just queue it all up an walk away, only to be interrupted when your tools break or you run out of an ingredient. Basically, an "add to queue" button next to the "craft" button.
    While I would surely love the convenience of adding Scholar (guilded) to my main (Explorer) to become a lean mean all in one resource gathering machine, I think I get it why crafts are restricted like this. You need 7 characters to cover all guilded crafts, that kinda gets you trying out additional characters, hopefully other classes. Heck, if not the scary ILI grind ahead, I would be taking out my craft alts adventuring a lot more often.
    As to the automation stuff... Really, crafting is already the most automaton-like, mindless afk activity in-game. We already got that Make All button there. Give it a bit of planning, estimate how long your crit items will last and come back after that time. Give the process some attention. One reason why crafting is in state it is today is because one can click a button or two, walk away for 30 min, and be able to craft next gear tier upon return. An activity so trivial has been deemed unfit to provide competitive level of gear. Not to mention queuing is not likely to play well with crits. If you only need 5 glazed leathers for an item, and you crit on the first, you only need to make two more. Also, I just wonder - when was last time you mass-produced items that would take a name upon crit NOT for vendoring off?

Recipes

- Change the recipe structure to two regular level recipes instead of three. So instead of 22, 25 and 28... only have 23 and 27. (Still have "whole level" recipes such as 20 and 30, etc)
    - Change "single use" recipes to permanent ones, but still require the scholar crit item. Make them more rare to find.
    - Add beter recipe options for the level range of 51 through 69, it's hard to get any good crafted items during this level range.
    - Crafted items should not have a reputation gate, only the recipe should have. (Example: Forochel Tundra Cub LM pet tome)
    - Continue Guilded crafting after Westemnet. I'm fine with just one tier every 20 levels or so, so maybe just the "Ironfold" tier for 100-120 recipes.
    - Guilded Armor recipes for level 105, 115 and 120. They should be teal, and have slots for essences and be of similar level as what can be gotten from lootboxes at the 120 level.
    - Regular purple recipes for 105, 115 and 120, obviously not as good but it will get you started.
    - Add customizable minstrel instruments at lower levels. Instead of having to drum your way all the way up to Dunland where you can first craft a "flute of the battle singler".... offer similar options at levels 30, 40, 50, and 60.
    - More housing item recipes. Obviously furniture for woodworkers, but how about wall mounted shields or armor displays from Metalsmiths, weapon displays from weapon smiths, a variety of mats and carpets from tailors, orbs and trinket displays from jewelers, book stands and reading/scroll related items from scholars, elaborate food displays from cooks, etc, etc.... So much more can be done here.
    - Same for cosmetic items. Each zone should have unique cosmetic items that can be made by crafters. Tailors, Metalsmiths, Weaponsmiths, Woodworkers are obvious, but less obvious are perhaps Jewelers and Scholars, who could both make a variety of hand-held cosmetic items, and Cooks who could make large variety of backpacks and hand held foods. Who doesn't want to see a hobbit with a semi permanent PIE to whack people with?
    - Overhaul the stats on most recipes. If the recipe structure will change as suggested in my first suggestion, everything needs to be overhauled anyways..... so revamp the stats so they make more sense.
    - In addition to the above, more OPTIONS on crafted items, especially jewelry in the level 30-69 range..... what's the point of only being able to craft level 50 MIGHT bracelets if you have a WILL or AGILITY based class?
    A fair bit of agreement on this part. Especially single use recipes. Make those recipes require an equally hard to obtain ingredient, but leave my recipe book alone. So I don't have to dive into a wiki page to check the stats on that lvl 30 helmet.
    Far as cosmetics go, would be cool but highly doubtful. Cosmetics generally remain one province where being sold via store arises nowhere near the ire as actual gear (i.e. lootboxes) Giving a lot of cosmetics over to crafting will take a bite into store profits.

Tools

- Add "account wide" purchase of crafting tools, which could be handy for us Altoholics. Every toon gets a tool. One purchase, and done.
    - Add new level 120 tools. See guilded recipes above.
    Frankly, current Universal Kit is an insanely generous option. My craft alts shared one just fine until I got a couple more via Hobbit Gifts. Would love to see better crafted tools though. A lvl 95+ with 25% tools and Westemnet Crafting lore already crafts at 79% crit. Sure I would not mind an 85% or so.

Getting Guilded

- Add more guild reputation quests or guild reputation instances (I am thinking such as the ones in Moria, Dunland, Rohan/Hytbold, etc....)
    - Make crafted guild patterns bound to ACCOUNT and make them UNIVERSAL, no matter the craft. That way you can help out your other crafters by crafting a few patterns when you are maxed out.
    - In addition to crafting guilded patterns to increase your guild reputation, also add random drops in level-appropriate zones that more or less are on level with the crafting recipes of that tier... these will be the UNIVERSAL kind as mentioned above, and also be bound to account.
    Can't say I like this. Guild grind among other things is one of the more involved activities, often requiring resource gathering over multiple tier areas. (See my comment about AFK automation part) Now if I were to add, say Scholar to my Explorer and guild it, if those patterns were universal, I could use my 6 Max guild Ironfold Master alts to boost to max guild standing in 2-3 days. Kinda puts the whole thing in perspective: why should guild recipes yield such good stuff if so little effort is needed to rep it up?
    About pattern recipe cooldowns: OK, they were a way to slow down acquisition of guild gear, in line with instance locks or the pace of earning area currency. But these days, alts often outlevel areas real fast, and taking 4-5 weeks to outfit a character via guild crafts... they will not be needing the gear by the time it is all made. What I WOULD like to see is reduction of cooldowns on lower tiers upon reaching max. I.e. 6 days Eastemnet, 5 days Westfold, 4 days Supreme, 3 days Master for large emblems.

Other

- Allow bound, worn armor to be broken down into pieces that can be re-used (just like the "processing" part) to re-create some leather or ingots or what have you..... Recycling, it's the new thing and we need a green(er) middle earth for future hobbitses!
    - More fishing pole options!
    - More items that increase running speed. They don't necessarily have to have other stats, you can just equip it when you are running errands in Frostbluff or the Shire!
    - Dare I say it: Craftable Ettenmoors PvP gear (whether audacity or other based).
    We already got a glut of crafting mats. It is not like we got a shortage of nodes popping into existense out of thin air. And it is not like we got massive landfills of old gear. I would say, recycling is unnecessary.
    More fish poles... sure. Last crafted one was Tier 4.
    Run Speed? Horse? Goat? Cause you know, Shire quests where you got to carry stuff, they disable your other speed buffs on purpose.

I'm sure I am forgetting many things that will improve the "crafting quality of life", and I realize some of these might be MUCH to much work (such as changing stats and recipe levels), but it doesn't hurt to ask....

Add to these! Comment!
    Overall, coming from Everquest, I just got to say that maxing out your crafting in LotRO is just ludicrously easy and guaranteed. Imagine spending hours hunting mobs for a rare drop, getting enough for maybe 50 combines of high enough trivial to give you skillups, also having to buy about 2-3 gold worth of ingredients for each combine, only to get a single skill increase from 292 to 293, AND final product is a no-trade meaning you can't even sell it. Having 300+ skill and a grandmaster trophy in any given craft means a person has gone through some insane grind for it. (probably comparable to maxing a current ILI). My main there, a veteran character since 1999, is still several points from 300 in Fletching, and not for lack of trying. He is at 300+ in Baking, Brewing, Jewelcraft, Smithing, Tailoring, Pottery and Research...

In LotRO, after U23 launch, my main all 6 of my craft alts got their gold anvils in Ironfold in a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Thanks for the thread.

- Farming; it would be great if we could harvest more than one planting at a time.
    Well, yeah, it sure would be convenient. But while we are at it how about adding ability for scholars/forresters/prospectors to pop up a rich resource node right at their feet in a totally safe area by using about a silver's worth of goods from a supplier?
    Cause you know, that is what farming basically is...

Quote Originally Posted by SavinDwarf View Post
    Crafters should be able to acquire ALL recipes either by 1) Gaining crafting experience, 2) Crafting Guild Reputation.

The current Dommfold/Ironfold approach to buying recipes means that crafters must also be high-level adventures. It should be possible to be an expert jeweler without the need to kill dragons and stuff.

Its fine to have high-level equipment to special ingredients -- as long as the "Buyer" can give the items to the crafter to make things.
    I guess I am getting to be the naysayer of the thread. Yeah I hear you. But you know, pretty much none of Doomfold/Ironfold recipes are bound.
    You already cannot harvest resources for those tiers. Meaning you need to rely on high level players who can to sell those to you. (Or provide them for an order) In same vein, you can buy recipes from high level players. Heck, a lot of folks still got surplus of barter tokens and might just pass you a recipe or two for free.

I would just like to add a few thoughts too.

Add some of the higher level farming/cooking plants to nodes in the higher levels. I am not sure why I still need potatoes and blueberries without getting the more recent stuff.

Change Enedwaith nodes to Westfold Tier.
    Change Great River nodes to Eastemnet Tier.
    Change all of Gondor nodes to Anórien Tier.
    Change all of Northern Mirkwood, Dale, Lonely Mountain area to Ironfold Tier.
    Revamp the Wastes so their special recipes use Doomfold Tier ingredients (we can keep those books though) and eliminate all that extra junk created just for that map. Make it so that Cooks and Tailors can craft just like the rest in this area. They are at a significant disadvantage at the moment, requiring alts to accomplish anything here.

Add droppable recipes in the upper tiers, especially in Mordor. Being able to craft something that can help you get through Mordor would be wonderful. Right now, I just sit out Mordor until I level up from seasonal events to about 110-112. I am not a fan of Reputation requirements for an entire level of armor crafting like the last two levels have been.

Although the Cook seems to combine older ingredients at times with new tiers none of the other ones appear to do this at the moment. I must admit I find it a little annoying with the cook (because of the number of sub-ingredients that are needed to just get that old ingredient), but I think this could work well with the other crafting professions.

I think it might be interesting if there were an area of the world where one could get all kinds of levels of nodes. Maybe take the Beacon Hills map and turn all the nodes into random generators from all levels at least up through the Anorien Tier.