We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Open code to contributors

In the software development it is by long established the use of networked configuration management, the use of bug-zilla like tools, GIT, and similar.
    All these allow the possibility to version code, talk between coders, add branches, baselines, and so on.
    Eclipse IDE is a bright example of what can be achieved by sharing a code and asking for someone adding specific features.

Our proposal is to put some of the LOTRO code on one of these collaborative tools. The LOTRO Team shall then open tickets for the volunteer to extend, expand, correct, the files. There will be many changes that will not be possible in this way, obviously, but there will be many other, more trivial, or very specific, or simply time consuming, that will alleviate the resources of the team while correcting potentially many anomalies or inefficiencies of the game that today cannot be put on the plan due to management constraints. Many extremely skilled programmers around the world spend also their free time searching something to help program.

Thanks for the time, and all the best to the LOTRO Team.

I don't see this happening for the main reason that SSG does not own Lord of the Rings. I would not be surprised if they have to adhere to a very strict method of developing LOTRO because they don't own the IP.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I don't see this happening for the main reason that SSG does not own Lord of the Rings. I would not be surprised if they have to adhere to a very strict method of developing LOTRO because they don't own the IP.
    While i dont see this happening either, the idea interested me enough to google other open source games.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ce_video_games
    From this wiki page, it seems to me that making lotro open open source should be technically possible.

How would you handle people who exploits this feature by hiding backdoors into their code?

Quote Originally Posted by 4andreas View Post
    While i dont see this happening either, the idea interested me enough to google other open source games.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ce_video_games
    From this wiki page, it seems to me that making lotro open open source should be technically possible.
    Technically yes. Legally is a total different matter. I’m just speculating. I have no education in the legalities in a scenario like this.

Actually, I don’t think anyone here in the forum does either.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Henna95 View Post
    How would you handle people who exploits this feature by hiding backdoors into their code?
    That's what came to my mind, and my husband adds, "The code is proprietary, they don't want anybody getting into it."

I think that is why the OP's suggestion is going to get a No that will travel the globe like the shock wave from Tunguska.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/