We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Attack Duration affects only auto-attacks

As a follow-up to the thread in BR forums: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ion-in-general, decided to test attack duration trait from red line.

Did two types of tests - one spec-ed Blue (to avoid the 2nd Red traitline bouns, Precise Stringkes (+15% attack duration total), and one in Red. First pass only taking crit chance trait from red and the second adding Battle Reflexes (-10% AD).

Did a very simple rotation with only basic skills - Wild Attack, Swift String, Blade Wall, WA, SS, and repeat that for 3min. With this there are almost no CDs between skills, also no animation cutting.

On 3 minute parses the only difference in the results is the auto melee attack around 10% more hits in blue, and around 25% more hits in Red (precision strikes 5 has close to 100% uptime in that kind of parse). Other skills seem to not be affected by attack duration at all. Images here: https://imgur.com/a/HqZcazx.

As Attack Duration is supposed to be the time it takes to execute attacks, but also skills this surely looks like a bug. I kinda feel it was introduced with U22 and attack speed normalization, but with so many class/stat changes around, never really bothered to test it.

Any input from fellow champs is welcome. I'll also submit a bug report on this, but it'd be nice if it's backed with some more data that this and the test Gertes did on BR.

the u23 update removed most animation times for champ on many skills. as a result champions feel so much smoother, particularly in red line. I would be willing to be they unlinked attack duration to skills in order to fix animations based on your and gets observation. not 100% sure though.

I just record several videos with and without attack speed, the rotation that i used was faster with attack speed.
    Without any attack speed buffs, the rotation took me ~13,2-13,5sec
    With several attack speed buffs, the rotation took me ~12sec
    (I did three (3) attempts each, and the result was nearly always the same, the end times are the time in combat analyses when the animation of bracing attack finished)

Here are the Traits i used (in the attack speed trys i also used the 5% from Controlled burn)
    no additional attack speed Buffs:
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...1839/noats.PNG
    additional attack speed Buffs:
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...209182/ats.PNG

Edit: It really depends on the skill, if its benefit more or less from attack speed, i did several test before with different rotations and sometimes the difference was smaller or bigger then shown here.
    If you want to contact me, pls don't write me a Private Message on the Forum, the chance that I read them is low.
    The best way is via Discord:
    Gertes#5389

Quote Originally Posted by Gothrir View Post
    You are a dwarf right?
    On my dwarf champ i also saw no/very little benefits from ats. I have to look further into this, but i think its a dwarf thing (who has slower animations in general, compared to highelf,men)
    I will do the same rotation tomorrow on my dwarf and record it also,
    for now i have to sleep^^.
    If you want to contact me, pls don't write me a Private Message on the Forum, the chance that I read them is low.
    Gertes#5389

Quote Originally Posted by Gertes View Post
    You are a dwarf right?
    Yep, dwarf champ here. I was aware that dwarven animations were a bit slower, compared to men/elves, but not to that extent, so that AD shows no difference at all :|

I'll try to do more tests with more skills in the rotation and see if anything comes up there.

This race, gender depending attack duration should be removed too.
    Or give another Bonus for beeing slower as hitting harder.
    But it cannot be that you're in an disadvantage cause of another race or gender. We're not in the rl where it's sad enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukor View Post
    This race, gender depending attack duration should be removed too.
    Or give another Bonus for beeing slower as hitting harder.
    But it cannot be that you're in an disadvantage cause of another race or gender. We're not in the rl where it's sad enough.
    Im almost sure that they dont even know where the difference animation speed comes from, this was talked about so many times now and they never where able to fix it.
    The funny thing is, that not every animation is slower, just a few (same with the male hobbit burglar with flashing blades). The most difference for the champion if have noticed so far are Ferocious Strikes (but skills with multiply attacks in general seem slower)

I also have finished my Dwarf test, surprisingly Attack speed had also here an impact, but the overall Rotation was as expected slower.
    I also did two (2) short Videos, where you can see the drastic difference between Female Highelfe and Dwarf Ferocious Strikes, animation Speed.

Dwarf with Ferocious Strikes, ~2, 4sec
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ra8...ature=youtu.be

High Elf with Ferocious Strikes, ~1,7 sec
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F9w...ature=youtu.be

Without any attack speed Buffs the rotation speed was ~13,8-14,1 sec
    With attack speed Buffs the rotation speed was ~13 sec

Edit: I did not used the -2,5% attack speed rune on either of these chars
    Gertes#5389

Thanks a lot for the videos and info. If in the end AD contributes, so it's not a wasted trait (I use it in all my builds to an extent), that's at least positive I'll run some more tests after the downtime with longer rotations and longer parses. I did notice that after a more advanced rotation (used around 10s rot, starting with Dev. Strike) when the trait was equipped, i could sneak another skill before Dev. Strike CD ended.

Sadly, I don't have a higher level man/elf champ to compare, but i have a HE 16lvl or so, can raise a new dwarf to 16 and test with the same equipment. Not a lot of skills @16, but should still be enough to demonstrate a difference.

So, being short and slow - we truly are made to be tossed around ;(