We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Windows 10 Intermittent freezing

I have developed an issue over last week where game freezes for a couple seconds every three minutes. It is quite annoying. It happened after no update had been done. No issues on computer outside of the game. Anyone else seen this issue and know how to fix? Would uninstalling and reinstalling help?

On windows 10. Plenty of memory and graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerfury19 View Post
    I have developed an issue over last week where game freezes for a couple seconds every three minutes. It is quite annoying. It happened after no update had been done. No issues on computer outside of the game. Anyone else seen this issue and know how to fix? Would uninstalling and reinstalling help?

I'd start with looking for any process in windows that repeats every three minutes before you start time-consuming stuff like reinstalls.

Quote Originally Posted by OghranNasty View Post
    I'd start with looking for any process in windows that repeats every three minutes before you start time-consuming stuff like reinstalls.
    Any ideas process might run that often in background? Computer only gets turned on in morning to play lotro. No other programs get opened prior to playing.

Top of my mind: indexing service. But just look at task manager, sorted by cpu%, to see if something bubbles up every three minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerfury19 View Post

I have this same problem, did you ever fix it? I played last about 10 months ago and everything ran fine but just trying to come back to game and freezing ever minute or so for 2-3 seconds, super annoying.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/03202000000294505/01006/signature.png]Trilliel[/charsig]

I'm having the same issue. You wouldn't all be using discord in concert with Lotro, would you?

I'm having this same issue. The game ran fine for many years, and now it's freezing the screen every few minutes. The freeze lasts for 2-4 seconds. Occasionally the client crashes with no error message in the logs when this happens. I'm using Discord, but this happens even when I turn Discord off. If I watch my Task Manager, I can see SOMETHING happening when the freeze occurs, but I can't pinpoint it, because it doesn't take up much CPU. (I just see the task list move.)

I have a 12 core CPU with 32 GB of memory and NVIDIA GTX1080 video, and can play any other recent game (e.g. Anthem, Division 2, etc.) with no problem. I have the game installed on a SSD, so I don't think it is disk-related. Any ideas? This is very frustrating...
    Tip

Someone posted a probably fix in another thread a few days ago, it is being caused by a network discovery service that seems to only cause issues with Win10 systems, and then only every 2nd scan.

However I cannot find the post for the life of me, and cannot remember the name of the service.

I hope this at least points you in the right direction.

it's in the 'stuttering and hitching all over' thread, currently a few beneath this one.

post is by Challen66

I had a similar problem last year, I looked at a lot of threads and possibilities but couldn't decide what it could be. Then my router went dead one day, I replaced it and never had another issue. I wouldn't have guessed it was a local connection issue but must have been.
    Landroval: Pierceya, Wislak, Goodeva, Novat

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Haddock View Post
    it's in the 'stuttering and hitching all over' thread, currently a few beneath this one.

post is by Challen66
    "Disable the SSDP Discovery Service. Most of you can do without this 24/7 as it's used to discover UPnP devices on the local network for things like media streaming. Some of you might just need to stop the service while you play LOTRO and then restart it when you are done. "

I will blame the last few days of chronic fatigue for missing that, I looked at that stupid thread about 3-4 times and missed it.

Other people have had issues with a Microgit Win10 driver messing up the onboard ethernet port - and fixed it by fitting a pci card with a different make of ethernet port; you can also get USB to ethernet adapters, but since I have never had the problem, I dont know if they work for this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    "Disable the SSDP Discovery Service. Most of you can do without this 24/7 as it's used to discover UPnP devices on the local network for things like media streaming. Some of you might just need to stop the service while you play LOTRO and then restart it when you are done. "

I will blame the last few days of chronic fatigue for missing that, I looked at that stupid thread about 3-4 times and missed it.

Other people have had issues with a Microgit Win10 driver messing up the onboard ethernet port - and fixed it by fitting a pci card with a different make of ethernet port; you can also get USB to ethernet adapters, but since I have never had the problem, I dont know if they work for this issue.
    It can also happen due to buggy device drivers (not just ones Microsoft supplied) and failing hardware (had this happen to me ... could hear the "ding" of the OS stopping a device and restarting it). As far as SSDP being off, I don't need interior network device discovery, so it is disabled by default.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.