We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by sapienze View Post
    Rad I admire your persistence. I really do. I truly enjoy the world created we play on. It's detail is a wonder to behold concerning Tolkien's world. I still reflect on memories of my first days in the Shire. Finding places and features which brought my experience to a different level. My outlook on Tolkien's world is more complete than it would have ever been just by reading and listening to his books. This story is nearly over. I know it. You know it and so does SSG. SSG will stretch out this last mile as far as they can. You and I both know this too. Then what?

Does the game end development? Does it shut down? Not if SSG has their way. Then what?
    They come up with more story of their own, that's what, because no matter whatever else might get added the game will definitely need more PvE content.

Sooner or later this game will stray further than it has any time all thru the last 11 years from proper cannon. Why? Because it will have to or it will become stagnant. What I don't comprehend in your persistence on this matter is why do you care what pvpers do or how they do it. Its already a given pvpers will never fight on the landscape. Its a given that less than a majority will pvp. Yet Lore junkies (and other select niche players) still attack any notion involving pvp. With all that said, I also can't comprehend why those same players never comment about LotRO's near endless festivals. Players dressed as boxes running around. Players riding Elk. Players having Shrews the size of cows. Players flying Kites. Beornings running as fast or faster than horses. The list is virtually endless and you want to grab at pvpers?
    Damn straight I do because the game already has its own brand of PvP, an asymmetric one that respects the story and the way the game is set up, and the logic behind that still holds.

Any thread about pvp outside of the pvp section gets harassed by the same people spewing the same old bile. Sure many times its of a passive nature but it becomes obvious they have a disdain for pvp. To be frank most players who PvP couldn't give a rats ### about "their" foul breath. All pvpers want to do is compete against each other.
    Don't generalise. We're talking about a specific point here, not PvP good or bad, just whether a particular form of it should be in the game. If you think I've got a general disdain for PvP you're barking up the wrong tree entirely. What I do think, though, is that if an RPG has PvP then the scenario for it should bear some relation to what the game's otherwise about, it shouldn't just be mindless violence.

So, as a past forum user dubbed you "Dr. Know" with your wide knowledge of Tolkien's lore, why can't you offer alternatives instead of always being Dr. NO?
    Err... we already have that alternative.

For the last time PVP arenas doesn't effect RP community becuase it is optional!!!! I could say it effects less than people going into the wild and sing songs for 3 days or fighting balrongs inside a rift in angmar with a hobbit tanking it. Anyway plz enlight me with more accurate arguments and do not spam the same answers all the time thank you all.
    Argohald 120 Champion(main), Phokalin 120 Guardian, Helectra 105 Warden Aegean eagles kinship in Evernight
    Aleziana 105 Lore master, Ellinas 100 Guardian, Armonia 65 Captain in Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    They come up with more story of their own, that's what, because no matter whatever else might get added the game will definitely need more PvE content.
    More story of their own. Ok got it.

Damn straight I do because the game already has its own brand of PvP, an asymmetric one that respects the story and the way the game is set up, and the logic behind that still holds.
    The logic behind it is a limited version because we all know snowflakes would throw a fit if this game emulated the actual story.

Don't generalise. We're talking about a specific point here, not PvP good or bad, just whether a particular form of it should be in the game. If you think I've got a general disdain for PvP you're barking up the wrong tree entirely. What I do think, though, is that if an RPG has PvP then the scenario for it should bear some relation to what the game's otherwise about, it shouldn't just be mindless violence.
    I did generalize and will do so if I choose to. In that generalization I was on point. The last few pvp threads proves this. Go and read and see who post.

Mindless violence is the profundity of Tolkien's world based on the morals of becoming bastardized immoral. Some, if exposed and given the freedom of choice become corrupt by their freewill. If anything is to be learned from Tolkien, this lesson is the most obvious. Greed, abuse of Power, Selfishness are destructive to the individual and to humanity. Mindless violence achieves this more easily than any other tool.

Err... we already have that alternative.

Alternative?

PvMP:

Not maintained.
    Undeveloped
    Ignored for years.

Is this the alternative you speak of?
    Last edited by sapienze; Jan 16 2019 at 09:31 AM.
    Università degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza" Sapienza University of Rome

Graduate PhD con lode Scienze della Politica

Quote Originally Posted by sapienze View Post
    More story of their own. Ok got it.
    You'd best hope so or otherwise the game will be dead, and no amount of gimmickry (be that arenas or anything else) will make any real difference.

The logic behind it is a limited version because we all know snowflakes would throw a fit if this game emulated the actual story.
    Oh right, the actual story which is anything but even-handed and where Orcs in particular are outclassed by the Free Peoples and have to rely on force of numbers instead? That actual story? The one where the Creeps in general are cannon fodder and die in droves, and Sauron's just fine with that because he has lots of them? You disappoint me, if you've read the book you should know better.

I did generalize and will do so if I choose to. In that generalization I was on point. The last few pvp threads proves this. Go and read and see who post.
    Not on point for this thread.

Mindless violence is the profundity of Tolkien's world based on the morals of becoming bastardized immoral. Some, if exposed and given the freedom of choice become corrupt by their freewill. If anything is to be learned from Tolkien, this lesson is the most obvious. Greed, abuse of Power, Selfishness are destructive to the individual and to humanity. Mindless violence achieves this more easily than any other tool.
    Same answer as always when someone posts this: first off, we're not playing people who've been corrupted and further, that doesn't apply equally to all the Free Peoples in any case as Elves in particular didn't carry on like that in the Third Age and as for hobbits, they weren't given to violence even when corrupted. You make it sound like we're only playing Men, and that really won't wash.

Besides which, it's not as if the violence is generally mindless. This is LOTR we're talking about, not A Clockwork Orange. Barring occasions when someone's stricken by madness, there's usually a good reason for it and it's not happening for its own sake. Unless it's Orcs doing it, because they love a nice bit of ultra-violence... but again, we're not meant to be acting like Orcs, are we?

Alternative?

PvMP:

Not maintained.
    Undeveloped
    Ignored for years.

Is this the alternative you speak of?
    Still better than the dreck being suggested in this thread and there's nothing wrong with the principle of it, regardless.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3