We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Returning player looking for class advice

Hello there!

As the title says, I'm planning to return to the game after a long looooong hiatus from it. I mean pre-Moria long

I have limited time to game; work, house, girlfriend, 2 cats, ... But I manage to squeeze in an hour or two each day to devote to my hobby. Since I'm a bit time limited I would like to apply all of my gametime to a single character. Class fantasy is important to me; I like to be in the mix of things. Meaning I like to dps with big melee weapons. When looking at available classes that leaves Captains, Champions and Guardians. Are all 3 classes viable at endgame for dps?

I also wish to be able to switch to a different role if need be. I like the idea of having a healing Captain with a sword/board combo (if that's even possible and viable). But Guardian also appeals to me because of the tanking role it is designed for.

As you can see, I'm a little bit torn with what to pick.

Also, I'm planning on dipping my toes in roleplaying but that's not important when choosing class

Hello!

Champion: high DPS, built for close combat, can dual-wield or use two-handed, but no shield. Great fun in fights with yellow trait line for best dual-wielding damage. Not the best in a tanking role as they don’t have many skills to draw aggro.
    Guardian: DPS has improved somewhat but is still fairly low. Red line is the best for damage. Still regarded as the best tank and can do this with either a weapon and heavy shield or with a two-handed weapon (in yellow line).
    Captain: slower to level than than the others but has the versatility. Blue trait line for healing, red for DPS and yellow for tanking. I use red for landscape questing and the damage is respectable. Blue I have used for soloing boss fights as there are skills that keep you alive longer. Comes into his own in groups due to all the buffs he can provide others. Currently there is a bit to an issue with the strength of healing not having scaled properly with the morale increase, but hopefully this will get fixed soon.

I am a bit biased as Captain is my main, but if you are only playing one character it gives you the versatility to switch to different roles without having to change characters to do so.
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    Hello!

Champion: high DPS, built for close combat, can dual-wield or use two-handed, but no shield. Great fun in fights with yellow trait line for best dual-wielding damage. Not the best in a tanking role as they don’t have many skills to draw aggro.
    Guardian: DPS has improved somewhat but is still fairly low. Red line is the best for damage. Still regarded as the best tank and can do this with either a weapon and heavy shield or with a two-handed weapon (in yellow line).
    Captain: slower to level than than the others but has the versatility. Blue trait line for healing, red for DPS and yellow for tanking. I use red for landscape questing and the damage is respectable. Blue I have used for soloing boss fights as there are skills that keep you alive longer. Comes into his own in groups due to all the buffs he can provide others. Currently there is a bit to an issue with the strength of healing not having scaled properly with the morale increase, but hopefully this will get fixed soon.

I am a bit biased as Captain is my main, but if you are only playing one character it gives you the versatility to switch to different roles without having to change characters to do so.
    Captain is high up on the list. How does it perform in healing spec with a one hander and shield? I like the idea of being the healer in the thick of it all compared to heal from a distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Melleborn View Post
    Captain is high up on the list. How does it perform in healing spec with a one hander and shield? I like the idea of being the healer in the thick of it all compared to heal from a distance.
    I’ve always found it to be pretty good in there. Many of the healing skills rely on landing a melee strike to set them off, so you have to be in the thick of it to make them work. I tend to use sword and board as I like the look. I’ve never been much of a min-maxer so haven’t worried too much about how good the gear is as long as it doesn’t stop me from being able to complete content. I am currently questing in Rohan with sword and board in red line and finding the damage to be perfectly fine. In blue I would say the same. I am not missing the two-handed weapon despite being a couple of levels below the content in Wildermore.

As I said before, in blue you’ll make slow progress in landscape content, so red is better there, but in groups either line is viable. The best blue line skills are the revealing mark, which returns morale to the group every time they damage the marked target, and the healing standard which continuously heals the group if they stay in range. You then have your targeted words of courage, so if anyone in particular has low health, you can heal them. This has a short cooldown, so you can keep using it on your companions. The class works well for healing, you just have to stay aware of the situation, watch everyone’s morale bars and play it well, like anything else really.

The biggest thing I have noticed is that if you run blue line you will need to think about improving power reserves - adding a bit of will/fate and carrying celebrant salves, as you will run out in this spec otherwise. In red I never run out of power, unless some enemy has a power drain skill.

My only caveat is that I haven’t tried running a group instance in the last week or two, so I don’t know how big an impact the healing nerf has had. I had no issues at all solo healing groups back in Moria. Someone else might be able to comment on the current situation, but like I said, I am hoping this will get fixed soon.
    Last edited by TheArtilleryman; Dec 31 2018 at 05:29 AM.
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

Exclamation

Hello there!

As the title says, I'm planning to return to the game after a long looooong hiatus from it. I mean pre-Moria long

I have limited time to game; work, house, girlfriend, 2 cats, ... But I manage to squeeze in an hour or two each day to devote to my hobby. Since I'm a bit time limited I would like to apply all of my gametime to a single character. Class fantasy is important to me; I like to be in the mix of things. Meaning I like to dps with big melee weapons. When looking at available classes that leaves Captains, Champions and Guardians. Are all 3 classes viable at endgame for dps?

I also wish to be able to switch to a different role if need be. I like the idea of having a healing Captain with a sword/board combo (if that's even possible and viable). But Guardian also appeals to me because of the tanking role it is designed for.

Also, I'm planning on dipping my toes in roleplaying but that's not important when choosing class
    Welcome back to LOTRO! Play the class you like better, just enjoy the game.

~ Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth ~

By endgame viable dps, do you mean solo or in groups? Solo, every class can get by as dps.

In groups, champions are the best at "dps with big melee weapons", but that's pretty much their only role. It's possible to tank lower difficulty group instances, but at the highest levels people will look elsewhere. Also the raid scene lately has been unfriendly to melee dps so champs have had a hard time getting into raids. Captains and guards are both popular in groups, but not as dps.

You might want to look at beornings too. Currently in groups they're mostly healers, but they're in the midst of a revamp that seems to have boosting their tanking.

Hello there!

I think i remember you from way back when, i think i did instances with for a moment or two, do You remember during which year(s) you played?

sorry, no useful info from me though, just decided to download the game again and take it out for a spin