We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Are burglars as bad as everyone says?

I've recently come back for the Legendary Servers after not having played since Mirkwood. I really want to play a class that is wanted in groups and will have an easy time finding groups.

I initially thought Minstrel would be good, since I never played one before, but it seems like they're one of the most common classes on Anor, and also they're not even particularly good at healing anymore (which is weird?). I know LM are wanted, but my main before was a LM, so I'd like something different. Captains are a bit too dull for me, and I'm not interested in playing a bear, so Beornings are out. I've always been interested in Burglars, but everything I read about them is pretty bleak. It seems like they're not particularly good for dps, and they aren't even that great at debuffing anymore. Are they seriously not wanted in groups? I don't want to devote a ton of time to a class for it to not be useful.

Burglars were recently "revamped", with the end result being their most important group skill got nerfed and nothing much useful was added in return. Barring an upcoming fix to the revamp, they will probably remain unpopular in groups for some time. If running tier 1 instances is fine with you, you can probably make it work, but if you want to do the most challenging content, you may have trouble.

Might want to look at guardians. Tanks are always popular. Hunters are easy to play and can always fit an a group, though there's more competition for DPS spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    Burglars were recently "revamped", with the end result being their most important group skill got nerfed and nothing much useful was added in return. Barring an upcoming fix to the revamp, they will probably remain unpopular in groups for some time. If running tier 1 instances is fine with you, you can probably make it work, but if you want to do the most challenging content, you may have trouble.

Might want to look at guardians. Tanks are always popular. Hunters are easy to play and can always fit an a group, though there's more competition for DPS spots.
    I second that! As a part timer since the game started, my main has been a burg- great (and fun) class to solo, and always welcome for DPS/CC roles in fellowship and raids. Now after the "revamp?" Still great at soloing pretty much any content, but groups? A lot of thanks but no thanks...actually thinking about going back to leveling my hunter to max, at least that class is still desired in group play.

No, burgs are still good in pve and theyre still a must have component of every raid group.
    44 Bulldog

Burglars are fine in groups, If you know how to play and gear up a burglar very well, then you will do fine.
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Kinship Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

Concerning burglars, I think we are neither here, nor there at the moment.

When it comes to dps, the argument is that burglars are not reallly a dps class, when if comes to debuffs loremasters and captains have the upper hand.

We can hold our ground in easier pve content, but three and six man instances are tedious, still we do have a single spot reserved for us in raids.

The recent update has put us in a worse spot than we were in before, and that's not where class balance should lead us.

An underpowered class is nerfed and made even more underpowered without any positive change or logics.
    If I was you I would go for a Loremaster or Guardian.

Saying a class is great at something has no meaning outside of how is it compared to another class. Maybe you are just fine with soloing stuff at half the pace or even less of other classes, or not being able to solo some stuff other classes can or at least not without a lot more effort. But objectively that matters.

Lower levels which is all I have played recently having come back to the Legendary server after a long break, burglars are noticeably weak in comparison over a what I would say is a majority of the content.

I don't raid so can't answer how needed they are there.

Landscape burgs are slow to level and more challenging for difficult content then any other class aside from possibly RK's. I've been able to do most small fellowship/fellowship content and most world bosses on level with my Warden, beorn, hunter, and mini without too much of a challenge. Burglar was far more challenging and some stuff I couldn't do. RK's were also difficult. Sure a better player might do better, but this is about comparing classes to other classes.

Instances you do ok in a damage role but nothing really outstanding.

burgs have a collection of tools that are good for making actually difficult encounters easier. But if content is trivialized so that you can kite it or just dps it down before it kills you without any other tactics, it doesn't play to the strength of burgs. Instances that were at one time designed to require CC for example, you just don't need to CC anymore you just brute force through it.

Later content I imagine that starts to change a bit. I've watched some undergeared mordor gameplay and burgs seemed to handle 3 at a time pretty well.

A really good player can always take a complex class and elevate beyond where an average player can. Simple classes don't give you as much to work with so even a really good player can't push things too much further then an average player because the tools are just not there. I do think burgs are one of those classes that in the hands of a really good player can shine. But on average it's going to feel weak in comparison to most other classes. RK I also found to be like burgs in this respect for solo content.