We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

why are they putting all recipes behind faction?

putting recipes behind faction is not really fair. it means that those of us who love crafting have to do a faction grind on every crafting toon we have. not only that, we also have to get every one of those toons up to 120. now, if i could do every craft on one toon like in eq1, that wouldn't be so bad. having to level every crafter means a lot of grinding. i simply don't have the time to do that.

if the recipes were bind to account it would be better. bind on acquire means i can only get one set of recipes and the rest i can't get because i can't pass them down.

lotro had a great crafting system. i say "had" because it is no longer great. it now has become tedious. are you devs trying to kill the game? this is a good way to do it. by eliminating low level crafters from the game, you are definitely sealing the fate.

some of us play games mostly for crafting. we don't care for the grind and constant killing. the game is beautiful, but it is difficult to enjoy it if you have to worry about getting killed with every step. personally, i like exploring. the draws of other games are exploring and crafting. that was the same draw in this game. it is fast becoming something i may get bored with quickly.

some of us play games to relax and get away from the stress of daily life. we don't look for more stress in our games. tediousness equals stress and a less enjoyable game. i can think of a lot more enjoyable ways to spend my time.

if the recipes were at least available in the store, i might would buy them- if they aren't too expensive. however, i notice that the store is getting way more expensive. do you know how much it costs to bring a toon from 1 - 100 in the eq2 store? $35. i have brought several up that way. they come with nice armor that is unbreakable. when i see the expensive costs for the same kind of leveling in the lotro store, i cringe. no, thanks. i am on a limited budget and have better ways to spend my money.

i don't mind paying the vip fees when i have a little money to spare. i have unlocked one account completely so that there really is no longer a big benefit to vip. that means i have spent a lot of money on that account. i know it is just digital, but for me it is an entertainment investment.

however, when the game loses its appeal, that investment i will consider as lost as if the game had sunsetted. that naturally means i go back to eq2 - it is the only game out there besides lotro that i really love.

please think twice about the strategy you are using when developing this game. you may find yourself losing a lot of people because of the faction grind for crafting. that can be a big loss.

I'm a big fan of bound to account recipes so that my alts army can help my main.

That being said, I have yet to find a recipe in the latest zone that is bound on acquire - my lvl 30 woodworker just crafted my new crossbow.
    Is there a particular recipe you're talking about? I don't play much these days but don't recall that many being strictly bound to bartering toon - the ones I remember being Eastemnet ones or some troubles with essences when they started to exclude certain professions lately.
    Roaming Gladden since 2013

There are not that many recipes in game that are bind on acquire. I have low level (30-40) craft alts in every profession and my main got them all their Doomfold and Ironfold recipes.

I do think that there is an overabundance of one shot recipes. What are we stupid?
    It is logical, in view of the times in which we live. But to be logical is not to be right, and nothing on God's earth could ever make it right!
    - Judge Dan Haywood

I think that it is time to overhaul the crafting system indeed. Gating recipes behind reputation is OK, as long as you can level one character to that reputation, and then buy the recipes. I believe they are bound to account, so you should be able to buy recipes for ALL crafts on one character.

That said, crafting has been neglected for some time, really, and is in need of a major overhaul. They stopped doing guild reputation, and although I don't mind that TOO much as it takes a long time to grind out guild rep for 7 crafts, but I DO want to see guild crafted armor from level 100 and up. We should have level 120 guild crafted teal armor and guild crafted teal essences and such things.

I also want to see the way crafting is done changed.... For starters, you get three crafts (e.g. for Explorer you get Tailor, Forester and Prospector) with the vocation you choose, but you should be able to BUY more. You should also be able to buy additional guild slots. An explorer can e.g. add Scholar as a 4th craft, and in addition to being a guilded tailor, also get guilded scholar on the same character. I can also see how an Explorer would want to add e.g. Metalsmith or Weaponsmith to the one character, as they already have prospecting.

Allowing that 4th slot would make crafting so insanely more useful, even if things are gated behind reputation, as it would require much less grinding to get things done.

Also, the crafting from level 50 to 74 really needs a change, especially in the 60 to 74 range where there are very few crafted items available, and everything decent is gated behind Dunland reputation. It isn't till 75 that you get a really decent set again with Great River crafting and guilded pieces.

I also think the lower level crafting needs overhauling. The 7-50 crafting is mostly just fine, but the single use recipes should be converted to permanent with a cooldown. Yes, that does mean you don't get to try 5 times to get a crit on the same item because you have 5 recipes, but you don't have to dedicate tons of space to recipes. An 18 hour cooldown is probably appropriate for most items. Guilded cooldowns would remain the same.

As for factions.... on the level 120 tier it isn't actually that bad, as I think you can just use one character to buy all recipes, you just need a lot of tokens for things like tailors who have to buy all light and medium armor recipes. But your scholar only gets a few recipes, so if you have a scholar leveled up to 120 you can use a LOT of its tokens on tailor recipes. That is what I did on Arkenstone, I only have 3 toons to 120, but one of em is a scholar, and managed to backfill all the tailor recipes.

I just think that crafting from 100 and up has been severely neglected and really needs a lot of changes.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

The main ones I think are the Lothlorien, Dunland and Mirkwood recipes. They are bind on acquire and you need a certain amount of rep to use them. The items you make are not bound, but they still can’t be worn without the right level of rep. The OP means this. You can’t just get the recipes with one character and then gear up your alts with the stuff, the alts have to quest through the content as well because they need the rep.

The one good thing is that the recipe needs friend or better, but the output of the recipe only needs acquaintance. So at least there’s not as much grind to wear the items as there is to make them. If you have an armourer, then you can make all the armour with one character and just need to get your alts to acquaintance (not much questing really) to wear the gear.
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

Quote Originally Posted by Raymore View Post
    I do think that there is an overabundance of one shot recipes. What are we stupid?
    Agreed: make the recipes require a specific non-trivial component (i.e. Symbols for FA/SA LIs etc), but single-use recipes is dumb.

Most faction gated recipes that are bind on acquire are mostly also available via guild - though it does factor in the cooldowns for emblems. Still, if you anticipate a need to gear an alt in a specific level of gear, you can start stockpiling the emblems in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    The main ones I think are the Lothlorien, Dunland and Mirkwood recipes. They are bind on acquire and you need a certain amount of rep to use them. The items you make are not bound, but they still can’t be worn without the right level of rep. The OP means this. You can’t just get the recipes with one character and then gear up your alts with the stuff, the alts have to quest through the content as well because they need the rep.

The one good thing is that the recipe needs friend or better, but the output of the recipe only needs acquaintance. So at least there’s not as much grind to wear the items as there is to make them. If you have an armourer, then you can make all the armour with one character and just need to get your alts to acquaintance (not much questing really) to wear the gear.
    Now that I play on the legendary server, I have noticed something similar with Forochel. I never gave it much thought on regular servers, because by the time I wanted that Tundra Cub as a LM pet, I was WELL overleveled for forochel, and getting kindred was a few hours of dourhand dwarf farming in Forochel, which netted me a fat amount of Thorin's rep as well.

But now that my LM is still level 19-ish, and my hunter is maxed at level 50.... I was wanting to get that Tundra Cub recipe.... only to find out that the summoner also needs to be kindred. Well, stink, stank, stunk, now I will have to grind rep items for my LM!

I do get it though, it is rather annoying. Still, the whole crafting system I think is in a need of an overhaul altogether.... for reputation recipes, it should be that to ACQUIRE the recipe, you need to be kindred, but to READ and USE the recipe, you do not. That way one person that is kindred can GET the recipe, but their lower level alt who is a crafter can still use it, create an item with it, and pass the item on to someone else who wants it. I don't mind if the items are bound to account so each account will have to have at least ONE person to get to kindred, but it should be less of a grind that way.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    .... for reputation recipes, it should be that to ACQUIRE the recipe, you need to be kindred, but to READ and USE the recipe, you do not. That way one person that is kindred can GET the recipe, but their lower level alt who is a crafter can still use it, create an item with it, and pass the item on to someone else who wants it. I don't mind if the items are bound to account so each account will have to have at least ONE person to get to kindred, but it should be less of a grind that way.
    Exactly this
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

Quote Originally Posted by violett View Post
    putting recipes behind faction is not really fair.
    I'm fine with gating recipes behind factions, but items made through said recipes should really be available to anyone (of appropriate level, obviously). To take a completely random faction for example, Forochel is a ~L45 zone, obviously the crafter would need to be kindred with the faction to even use them (so they'll probably be ~L45 themselves, or L40 minimum if they use just rep items from skirm camps), and you would need to be at least ~L45 to use any items made through their kindred recipes, but no faction requirement for said item use.
    Doro from the other-side.

I will SIGN for two things:

1. DON'T BIND REP RECIPES TO THE BUYER!! No problem binding it to ACCOUNT, just not to CHARACTER. I have a lot of low lvl crafters that I have no intention of running through the content needed to get them to Kindred rep just so they can buy and use crafting recipes. I am fine with ONE character being required to get to Kindred so they can BUY the recipes, but once bought, they should be able to send it to anyone on their account.

2. GET RID OF SINGLE USE RECIPES!! or at least let us "USE" them all at once and get them out of my bag/vault. TBH, single use recipes make no sense to me; does our crafters get amnesia after making each of these items?

Quote Originally Posted by SharlaSedai View Post
    TBH, single use recipes make no sense to me; does our crafters get amnesia after making each of these items?
    Yes, in the chat you can find the message that you can´t remember on recipe anymore...
    Ich bin kein Deutscher, sorry für Grammatik.
    English isn't my native language, sorry for mistakes.