We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

At what level do Captains not feel clunky

So, started a captain on a Leg server after about 1.5 year break. Played a Cappy back in vanilla and MoM days (and into rohan as well), and back when I started one, Cappy's weren't bad. they were slow at killing, but at least they had a set of skills that felt decent to use.

So after getting my new Cap to 10, I have a decent set of skills on my bar...and only one really has a CD of less then 15s. half my skills are 20s CD's, the other half are locked behind Battle cry (with a 20s CD). I really only have one skill to "spam" every 3 seconds.

First Mob: Burn all my skills! yay!
    Second Mod: auto attack.
    Third Mob: Burn all my skills! yay...wait, mob took just as long to die as the auto attack mob.

I'm being a bit facetious here but my real honest question is this: At what point does the Captain have a decent enough set of usable skills that they feel decent in solo play? I know that in a group there's allot more going on for a captain, and they're very busy. I played one for years, I get that. I also know that at higher levels, they can probably kill solo stuff relatively quickly. My old cappy didn't feel bad post 50 at all. But the new iteration of the cappy at lower levels? it just feels clunky. Is it just me? or is there a turnaround point as I queried above?

Quote Originally Posted by elyxthaxzus View Post
    So, started a captain on a Leg server after about 1.5 year break. Played a Cappy back in vanilla and MoM days (and into rohan as well), and back when I started one, Cappy's weren't bad. they were slow at killing, but at least they had a set of skills that felt decent to use.

So after getting my new Cap to 10, I have a decent set of skills on my bar...and only one really has a CD of less then 15s. half my skills are 20s CD's, the other half are locked behind Battle cry (with a 20s CD). I really only have one skill to "spam" every 3 seconds.

First Mob: Burn all my skills! yay!
    Second Mod: auto attack.
    Third Mob: Burn all my skills! yay...wait, mob took just as long to die as the auto attack mob.

I'm being a bit facetious here but my real honest question is this: At what point does the Captain have a decent enough set of usable skills that they feel decent in solo play? I know that in a group there's allot more going on for a captain, and they're very busy. I played one for years, I get that. I also know that at higher levels, they can probably kill solo stuff relatively quickly. My old cappy didn't feel bad post 50 at all. But the new iteration of the cappy at lower levels? it just feels clunky. Is it just me? or is there a turnaround point as I queried above?
    You do get more skills as you level up.
    By level 30 you should have most of your attacks, and it will be rare that you do not have a skill available to use.

Red line is definitely the fastest for solo play. Blue is really really slow, but brilliant for group work or when soloing a boss fight as red can die too fast in these situations. I remember doing Wraith of Water solo in Fornost, and it was impossible in red; I needed blue line to stay alive. The tactic was using revealing mark then cutting attack/grave wound, so when the boss moved away he was still taking damage and I was still healing.

If you are playing in red line, you get shadow’s lament which also grants battle-readied. In solo I tend to use battle shout on the first mob, then save shadow’s lament for the second mob so I can stay battle-readied. Also make sure to use sure strike as your second attack so you get the physical mastery buff (the buff only works when battle readied). That speeds up the process.

My normal sequence is: Telling mark, battle shout, sure strike, cutting attack, devastating blow. Grave wound if the mob is still alive, but most normal mobs will die from the bleeding without this. Then on the second mob, the same sequence but with shadow’s lament instead of battle shout.

Rotate and repeat. Keep the herald active too as this buffs both of you.

At level 46 you also get a big passive buff (+46 to every skill) that goes up each level after that.

Apologies if any of this is sucking eggs. I have a lot of fun with the Captain class as it is more of a challenge than some but I still find it more than fast enough, and you have loads of options. Now at level 81 and powering through Rohan content. Moria was pretty easy for the most part. I remember finding Angmar pretty tough, but not too much to handle. I think you’re probably right, it does get faster as you level up. Definitely worth completing all the class and race deeds as early as you can as that helps too, mainly because of the extra points you can add to your trait tree.
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

Having taken every class to 120 and through to the end of grey mountains the captain is still by far the clunkiest. There are lots of times where every attack is sitting on cooldown and I am waiting doing nothing while the 3 second cooldown attack recovers. Used to be the beorning and guardian were close in being slow and boring but the recent revamps changed that leaving me to wait for a revamp of the captain. The melee pet can not even damage on-level mobs more than their self healing makes up for.

It’s not the number of skills but that they have very long cool downs, captain has a low crit rate, and they are reasonably low damage. As yes, my 2h sword is fully star-lit.

red and blue get a second attack that gets you battle hardened to go along with battle shout, yellow does not.

yellow has some definite dead time due to this because we don't get improved sure strike until much later. improved sure strike reduces battle shout cooldown by 1s when used. that seems minor, but consider how often you sure strike between battle shouts now as filler. it's actually huge and gets you back to your rotation faster.

overall clunkiness no, the captain just feels this way all the way up. their attack animations are the longest around and all of them are unnecessarily long. it's like your character is posing after every strike.

The class needs a serious revamp. Right now it's "clunky", has the longest animation, the worst dps in the game, irrelevant healing and bad survivability outside yellow line. Blue line is obsolite at the cap level, Red line is a pure buff bot with zero entertainment in it (and the buffs are actually not so great after all mechanic changes and level increase), Yellow...well it can tank, but then again, Guardian and Beorning do it with more fun and more dps for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Arabani View Post
    The class needs a serious revamp. Right now it's "clunky", has the longest animation, the worst dps in the game, irrelevant healing and bad survivability outside yellow line. Blue line is obsolite at the cap level, Red line is a pure buff bot with zero entertainment in it (and the buffs are actually not so great after all mechanic changes and level increase), Yellow...well it can tank, but then again, Guardian and Beorning do it with more fun and more dps for sure.
    Lots of stuff I cant agree with

blue isn't irrelevant, but situational dependent. Red feels fine(lacks dps), the attack duration has always been part of the captain, its something you've to deal with and get used to. If you want to speed it up, you'll be able to do so pretty soon with the new raid set. But I'll warn you, if you rotate through everything, there will be a point that only sure strike will be relevant to hit, because most is on cooldown, the class is not meant to be fast.

yellow is quite ok, lacks the selfheal and requires rescaling. Same goes for blue, maybe a total make-over for blue will do, but I would be fine with scaling.

pet system could be updated

If you(talking in general) enjoy quick dps classes like burgs and hunters, then captain may not be as enjoyable for you. Perhaps a champion would do?