We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

The Stone of the Tortoise, some thoughts.

There are two things with this item that has been on my mind for quite some time. While I'm sure the Status Quo will endure, might as well utilize the forum once in a while!

1. This is an item that really should be incorporated as a feature, not sold as a service. While I do understand that the Spice Must Flow, there is also the aspect of promoting longevity, for this option optimally come with healthy side-effects that can't really be quantified so easily as a separate sale. Also, having to buy this separately on numerous alternate characters, is a tad harsh on the overall budget, if one should not happen to be mega-rich. Especially when considering the next thought as such...

2. This item quite simply take up a useful slot, that really is needed otherwise. It can be argued that it's not *that* much of a difference, but having to place the things that go there in the inventory instead, serve as an eternal reminder. The brain is a bit odd with how it go about obsessing with the unused equipment. Part of the grand design I'm afraid!

If this feature was sold as a service, on the account level, without taking up any slots, then it would at any rate be more worth considering in turn, if a sale there *must* be! I *do* understand that this might involve a different *technical* approach, and thus not be viable for a few hundred years of course, but there is the feedback regardless!

Thanks for this great game at any rate! :-)
    Last edited by Secantur; Dec 20 2018 at 12:01 PM.

To be clear here, the philosophy of allowing players to enjoy the game without a rush, should in my experience be worth *some* investment, in that going fast through it beyond doubt is the more popular option, but not *really* how this game is designed, content-wise. Thus the alternative is perhaps not sufficiently balanced, compared to the perceived/supported default (of rushing it), which I am sure represents a healthy and necessary majority! But with the danger of cutting the corners, so to speak, and thus take away the experience for what of course must be a minority. But a stubborn one, by nature. With more time to buy stuff as well. *Maybe*

You can indeed buy your Tortoise, but it is at this time a marginal feature, in how it is presented and *perhaps* in representation. IMHO.

I don't mind the stone being a store item, but it does suck that it takes up the pocket slot.

The best suggestion I've heard is that they should make a Universal toolkit of the tortoise. Would easily pay for that.

Thanks for the input vr00mie! Interesting alternate solution!

Account-linking the service would placate some of the hair-pulling Goblins as well. The philosophy here, just appears a little outlandish, in that it should really be more about the journey, Especially in a MMORPG based on a journey! And yet rushing to the end is the only thing that get absolute native support, from a philosophical perspective. :-)

( If this was about wanting free stuff, there is a zillion other items out there, many of which I have purchased. So this is not about that! )

Consider this, OP. They also sell pocket slot xp boosters. They have had several of these over the years, tied to expansions. When sold separately, they were and still are 395 or 495LP, if I am remembering correctly. The Tortoise stone, which likely is just the booster item with a different database ID, different icon, and with a multiplier of 0, used to cost the same price. The Tortoise stone was cut to 100 LP, again if I am remembering correctly. I wonder which one sells more often, now. Let's say they do make this a toggled passive. Would you agree with them doing the same for the booster item? Another suggestion that has been made from time to time, over the years, would be to make xp gain a slider. Would doing any of this, now, be worth the cost of implementation?
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Thanks for the input!

I think we all can agree that getting these items away from the pocket slot, would be more important than anything else. It is good ol' human nature to consider any sort of advancement enhancer to be more desirable, an advancement blocker/nerf is by nature not quite so easy to promote!

I'm appreciative of the price reduction, but with many alts it's really getting overboard fast, given that you can't really do the many festivals without over-leveling all the content. And thus in reality, many of them will just stay parked. And that which is not used, is also not buying anything else! Which create a scenario where one item is blocking for other options, ironically enough, since this one is all about blocking! Maybe it is just being more effective than anticipated!

This specific itemization solution would highly benefit from a reform, whether or not it does a buff or debuff. It's just too Byzantine in implementation, approaching the realm of the impractical! :-)

I think the Stone of the Tortoise should be changed to a skill that you can trigger on command. That way, you can just slot it into a quickbar slot, and use it/activate it whenever you need it, without giving up a slot. Someone in another thread mentioned the "Smell of the Roses" skill that would bring your sped-up horses back down to 68% so you could run at the same speed as fellowship members, and the Tortoise skill should be something similar.

It can still be sold in the store as an item, just like you "learn" the skill to summon a new cosmetic pet, you can get a Tortoise scroll to "learn" the Tortoise skill. It could work within existing code, and you can make variations, such as a skill that works the same as the "Story Pace" experience reduction of 40% that everyone on the legendary servers has instead of a full experience stop.... and they could sell it as individual skills or as a package deal. Existing tortoise stone owners should be able to exchange the item for the skill at a vendor in Bree or something like that.....

This really is just a quality of life update, but one that people that like the Stone of the Tortoise have been asking for for years!
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Nice thoughts/ideas, maartena!

Would not mind a "classic pace", since you had a chance at doing about everything back in the days. In addition to the full stop of course! Also, I know this sounds weird, but a confirmation that you really want to level up would be neat as well. Optional of course. Because it's not always convenient... but that's user error compensating measures, granted. Or maybe user senility countermeasures... !

I appreciate having the option of the Tortoise Stone. I've been getting it on my new characters, so they don't level up from crafting, and I can stay on level with my sons who have started playing new classes as well.

However I do wish it was a toggle or something that does not take up a slot. It is frustrating to get a nice item, and not be able to use it like I normally would. I duoed epic battles with my son today at lvl 45, and we got some very nice class gear with set bonuses. Unfortunately, the best item is of course, in the tortoise spot. I love the game and having the option to stop exp makes it even better, but the stone taking up a slot can be incredibly annoying. I wish this could be changed some way.

When first brought out years ago there were many threads about making the stone a toggle from the backpack. But you see where it is today, evidence the change will not happen.
    Ujest - 120 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 100 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)