We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Crafting Tool Level Requirements

*sigh* I know this has come up before .. but I can't remember the answer...

Why is the level requirement for crafting tools TIED to the CHARACTER's level and not the CHARACTER"s crafting level? It makes no sense.

A crafter that is a master of the top level of a craft should be able to use the best crafting tools AND and a journeyman level crafter should not be able to use the top level tools EVEN IF they are level 120.

From a roleplaying point of view it is perfectly reasonable to have a ALT that is a crafter that does not go forth and kill stuff. That doesn't mean they should also not be allowed to use Westmnet Tools.

OK... what is the answer to this question.... Been away for a while and this always bugged me...

Grump Dwarf...
    It will never work, change always makes things worse, and Turbine doesn’t care about us anyway….” Eeyore
    But maybe it will have honey or even something better!!” -- Pooh

Difference between best tool and universal kit is only 5% crit anyway. A bigger impact are crafting lore scrolls, also with a minimum level to use.

I would say the idea behind this is the same as why a character is restricted to a single vocation and single guild: to promote player interaction. A higher level main with better tools and crafting lore has a better crit chance than a craft alt.

Quote Originally Posted by scorrp10 View Post
    Difference between best tool and universal kit is only 5% crit anyway. A bigger impact are crafting lore scrolls, also with a minimum level to use.

I would say the idea behind this is the same as why a character is restricted to a single vocation and single guild: to promote player interaction. A higher level main with better tools and crafting lore has a better crit chance than a craft alt.
    That makes sense *sigh*. In my case … I just returned to LOTRO after a long absence and I'm the last surviving member of my guild. I quickly discovered that crafting is difficult if you don't have all the professions covered LOL. In my guild most of us had multiples but only one person had an alt for all of them (and he moved to another server over 3 years ago. I'm actually only missing two professions I think (Woodworker and Weaponsmith) -- the others are all at Westmnet or higher ….

The simple answer is the Universal Toolkit... of course the bigger issue is finding mid level recipes with most of the server over level 100+... but that's another issue.

The above shows that dwarves should not think too much .. makes the brain hurt
    It will never work, change always makes things worse, and Turbine doesn’t care about us anyway….” Eeyore
    But maybe it will have honey or even something better!!” -- Pooh

I do have all craft alts, main (Warden) being Explorer. (Tailor). Got a Valared 105 LM scholar, plus 5 more alts in upper 30s, all full Ironfold masters with max guild. It IS quite handy. The lower levels are not THAT much worse. Typically like 68% vs 79% crit of my higher levels.