We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Quest Objectives missing after 18Dec2018 patch

The objectives are no longer displayed in the quest acceptance screen. They were previously displayed in the right panel above the Rewards; they are not anymore.

They are also missing from the Quest Log.

They are only correctly displayed in the Quest Tracker.

Just discovered the same , i have to take the daily allegiance quests in mordor to actually find out what i'm doing

Seems like this is an issue that everyone is getting. I wonder if they tested this before releasing the hotfix

There is another thread on the same topic.
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ken-ALL-quests

We are working on a hotfix to correct this issue.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Google+ - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We are working on a hotfix to correct this issue.
    And here you thought..... That's it! 23.1.8 is out, we're done for the holidays!

Just curious.... this is question that might sound like I am slamming you, but how does quality assurance checking work in these cases? There was a fix in place that specifically fixed some of the quest windows when a rewards list was particularly long, and I would imagine that the lotro team would apply this patch to a "staging" server (which is "production + next patch"), then log on to the game using the staging client, check the quest window, see it is fixed, and sign off on the fix..... at least, that is how things typically work in development. So I don't quite understand how the person that checked to make sure the patch was working, completely overlooked that the quest objectives were totally missing from all quests? Wouldn't someone testing to see if the fix works almost immediately notices: "Uh.... guys? The quest windows are fixed, but.... the objectives are missing!"

How does SSG test for quality, could you explain the process to us? Just out of pure curiosity, I am familiar with developers in my own employment situation, where we have 4 environments: A developer environment (anything goes, and there could be multiple of these), a testing environment (where developers push code that they think may work...and test if it does), a staging environment (this is production + patch for final review/testing) and finally a production environment (where the staging patch will go after QA went over it and approves it). I'm describing it in a more simplified manner, but you get the just of it....

We have seen a few things as of late that SHOULD have been easy catches, and have resulted in "oops, we're working on a hotfix". So I am just wondering if you could give us a wee bit more insight in the SSG development process, and how things are checked before they go "live" on production? In any case, thanks for working on a hotfix!
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    How does SSG test for quality, could you explain the process to us?

Lately, I suspect ALL of us are asking the exact same question.

Quote Originally Posted by Narthalion View Post
    Lately, I suspect ALL of us are asking the exact same question.
    I think WE are the QA department!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I think WE are the QA department!
    I wish we were. If this were put onto Bullroarer, this could have been caught super quick and we'd be having this discussion on those forums before it ever hit live. But SSG seem content with their current process.

And here you thought..... That's it! 23.1.8 is out, we're done for the holidays!

How does SSG test for quality, could you explain the process to us?

LOL.... they don't... plain and simple.

Well, it will be fixed tomorrow in yet another downtime..... While I am grateful that they are fixing this really quick, the downtime should never have been needed. I have no idea how this one got by their QA process, but there are probably were some "how the eff did this happen" type meetings within SSG today....

Because let's face it: 10 minutes of QA on the quest window by one or two persons would have been a hell of a lot cheaper than implementing a 2-hour downtime (or however long it might take) to fix it.... which is likely requiring a lot more people and planning - and possibly some over time tonight.

There have been a few issues as of late that should have been caught in testing. I truly hope everyone gets relaxed and unwound during the holidays, so they can start fresh in 2019!

I know Cordovan is not doing his stream the next 2 weeks because he will be with his family, so hopefully..... after tomorrow's patch..... we will see smoooooth sailing of the servers throughout the holidays!
    -----

Anyone got that clip of that Russian singer back in the seventies, the LOL LOL LOL man?

Also anyone remember those days when there used to be day's sub in lieu of excessive downtime? As a lifer I think I've got about a month of play after the last server is switched off.
    I only logged on briefly today to check the recipe changes listed and see it the shields were still misbehaving. The couple of dailies; I do in my sleep so didn't need to check the text.

It's depressing to see so many views to a post and so few replies. It's like everyone has resigned themselves that this is just the way of things these days.
    Set the bar low and fail to meet it.

QA: Is it working?
    Engineer/Dev: Yeah sure.
    ED: Run the compiler. It should finish just as the servers go down.

Mac

Edit: I exaggerate ofc, there's no way our ED is as hands on as I suggest.
    Last edited by Macdui; Dec 18 2018 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Macdui View Post
    Anyone got that clip of that Russian singer back in the seventies, the LOL LOL LOL man?

As requested!
    -----

Much obliged

Quote Originally Posted by Orodalf View Post
    The objectives are no longer displayed in the quest acceptance screen. They were previously displayed in the right panel above the Rewards; they are not anymore.

They are also missing from the Quest Log.

They are only correctly displayed in the Quest Tracker.
    This must be something that is only affecting some players, or some servers. I've checked on multiple alts on EN, and have zero experience of this bug. Weird.

I must be on the "good" list
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

The quest may say you have to clear the area of orcs but it's just missing the 0 of 16 Orcs part. Another quest might just have just the objective and didn't need further text so might have nothing to indicate what you have to do, until you add it the track which retains the objectives.

Build it and they will come...

Err, build what mate?

Mac

While I am grateful that they are fixing this really quick, the downtime should never have been needed.

There have been a few issues as of late that should have been caught in testing.
    Boy is this ever rich coming from you...

You remember this when others bring these same type of complaints to the forum before you go into your scheme of things.

Because let's face it: 10 minutes of QA on the quest window by one or two persons would have been a hell of a lot cheaper than implementing a 2-hour downtime (or however long it might take) to fix it.... which is likely requiring a lot more people and planning - and possibly some over time tonight.
    The only immediate monetary cost for something like this would be reduced store sales due to downtime (as if people won't just buy the thing 2 hours later). Most developers in the US do not receive any form of overtime compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoBasilisk View Post
    The only immediate monetary cost for something like this would be reduced store sales due to downtime (as if people won't just buy the thing 2 hours later). Most developers in the US do not receive any form of overtime compensation.
    No, but think of the work they COULD have been doing instead of patching servers. During the hours the servers are down, a number of employees have to spend that time to do things related to the patching, from bringing servers down in the right order, patching in the right order, bringing them back up in the right order, etc, etc... files have to be made ready so the client will download them, all the way to the community manager having to take time out of his schedule to announce it.

Also, developers spent time (probably several hours) fixing, compiling, packaging all the bits needed to fix this one thing.

Time is money. And they wasted a lot of time that could have been avoided.
    -----