We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Yellow RK - DPS comparison

Hey ho,

i would like to ask other rk's in endgame about rk dps focused on yellow line. Numbers(dpsmeter) of both (yellow&red) to compare it with red line would be great :3

Since i am a lowlevel rk and would like to focus on yellow only, i would like to know if it is viable...

How does the rk do in terms of dps compared to hunter/champ?

Thank you very much for your time.
    Have a nice day!

It depends, really. Yellow absolutely needs work, which will hopefully happen when (if) the devs make their RK balance pass in 2019/2020. Should this happen, we'll have more of an idea, of course; however, if we're talking raid-only numbers, Red still reaches higher dps numbers than Yellow. As I understand it, both lines are a little closer to Hunters than they were during Mordor, but Hunter is still the top dps by a considerable margin. As for Champs, unfortunately most endgame content is rather melee-unfriendly, so they tend to die quite often in groups.

The short answer to your question is: Yellow RK is viable, but needs developer love.

No yellow runekeeper is not viable. Lightning does 30-40% of fire dps at best, and likely even less.

Hunters are slightly ahead of red line runekeepers in single target dps, but not considerably so.
    Gruid-Level 65 Burglar. Trebon-Level 65 Minstrel. Foilfang-Level 60 Hobbit Warden. Stiric-Level 56 Man Champion.

Yellow is not even close. I levelled in yellow till mid 40s for mobility. As soon as essay of fire is available yellow is done.

Opener of essay+immediate essence of flame+smoldering wrath kills just about anything (or even 2 anythings). Except for very situational things like scrumfall (90%+ fire nerf) or kiting a named (bounce bosses in glimmer deep) fire is just overwhelmingly better.

Quote Originally Posted by Fasin View Post
    No yellow runekeeper is not viable. Lightning does 30-40% of fire dps at best, and likely even less.

Hunters are slightly ahead of red line runekeepers in single target dps, but not considerably so.
    That is sad. I really like it to be mobile while doing good amounts of dmg. Sounds like a huge difference.

Agreed. The DPS is way too low. I love ranged mobility, so I hope it gets a boost with the RK's upcoming pass. I would expect it to be sooner rather than later, since RK and captain are the only classes that have not received any updates yet.
    BREGLOR · BRIFFO · ELIZA · APEY · RIFFO
    THE TEAM · GLADDEN

It's hard to quantify a yellow runie v. red runie. Red definitely does more damage due to the dots...but a moderately geared yellow runie at the cap will consistently hand out damage hits well over 100k (about 20 per instance). The highest I've managed is about 170k on one of the Scourges. As far as solo'ing content, yellow wins hands down. Mobility, stuns etc. As far as support (dps) in instances...red wins hands down.

No red is still definitely better for soloing once you're geared. unless you're doing content multiple levels below level cap, it's still not even close. By the time lightning has achieved attunement fire has already killed the mob. You can even kite and still achieve roughly the same dps in fire line as in yellow line when solo (slightly behind, maybe 10-20%). Lightning is simply too far behind Fire.
    Gruid-Level 65 Burglar. Trebon-Level 65 Minstrel. Foilfang-Level 60 Hobbit Warden. Stiric-Level 56 Man Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fasin View Post
    No red is still definitely better for soloing once you're geared. unless you're doing content multiple levels below level cap, it's still not even close. By the time lightning has achieved attunement fire has already killed the mob. You can even kite and still achieve roughly the same dps in fire line as in yellow line when solo (slightly behind, maybe 10-20%). Lightning is simply too far behind Fire.
    Red may be better, but building attunement in yellow is fast enough. 3 skills for 9 attunement. (rock, writ, essence of storm)
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.
    Trapper of Foes needs better tools to fulfill it's supporting(CC and offensive debuffs) and DoT role.

I guess I'm firmly in the minority on this, but I think Lightning Runie is kind of awesome right now. I decided to gear one up pretty well for the end game just to see what it could do.

200% mastery bonus
    24% crit rating
    30% finesse (extremely important btw...the devs gave you a hint to this when they added finesse in as one of your trait tree options)
    35% on both mitigations

I'll post some CA numbers eventually, but having done a few more essence upgrades today I took it out for a spin.

Scourge Brathadan:
    This is all from a single fight that lasted less than a minute: Faidde scored a critical hit with Shocking Words on Bráthadan for 100,109 Lightning damage to Morale. Faidde scored a critical hit with Epic Conclusion on Bráthadan for 109,107 Lightning damage to Morale. Faidde scored a critical hit with Epic Conclusion on Bráthadan for 127,724 Lightning damage to Morale. Faidde scored a devastating hit with Sustaining Bolt on Bráthadan for 113,938 Lightning damage to Morale. Faidde scored a critical hit with Static Surge on Bráthadan for 126,609 Lightning damage to Morale. Faidde scored a devastating hit with Shocking Words on Bráthadan for 145,868 Lightning damage to Morale. Faidde scored a critical hit with Static Surge on Bráthadan for 117,511 Lightning damage to Morale. Faidde scored a critical hit with Epic Conclusion on Bráthadan for 140,823 Lightning damage to Morale.

That's about 1 Million damage using eight (8) skills. And, I didn't even bother with Concession and Rebuttal.

How does it compare to a fire runie? IMO, who cares? They serve different purposes. A yellow runie can solo just about any mob. The mobility is fantastic as are the stuns. Yellow runies excell on solo content and small instance content (especially when a healer isn't involved). A fire runie excells in larger instances and raids. Both can do many things the other cannot. But, don't make the mistake of thinking a lightning runekeeper can't do damage. They can, but without the damage over time. As a trade off, you are mobile, can stun ads in mass (for 10 seconds which is longer than it sounds). You have your Fugurite stone which is ready to go immediately after it's previous use. You can secure a restoration stone from blue tree to use as agro on multi-mobs. What's not to like.

Despite the previous opinions, it's viable when used properly and in the right circumstances. In a raid, I'd rather have a fire runie due to the wrath damage and the dots...but a lightning runie could do just about any job required.

Addendum: I wanted to add, that what really helps is to put Writ of Lightning on a hotkey and spam it in between the use of your finishing skills. Writ will stack 3 times and really increase the damage of your other lightning skills.
    Last edited by Casmond; Jan 07 2019 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Casmond View Post
    I guess I'm firmly in the minority on this, but I think Lightning Runie is kind of awesome right now. I decided to gear one up pretty well for the end game just to see what it could do.

200% mastery bonus
    24% crit rating
    30% finesse (extremely important btw...the devs gave you a hint to this when they added finesse in as one of your trait tree options)
    35% on both mitigations

I'll post some CA numbers eventually, but having done a few more essence upgrades today I took it out for a spin.

Scourge Brathadan:
    This is all from a single fight that lasted less than a minute: Faidde scored a critical hit with Shocking Words on Bráthadan for 100,109 Lightning damage to Morale. Faidde scored a critical hit with Epic Conclusion on Bráthadan for 109,107 Lightning damage to Morale. Faidde scored a critical hit with Epic Conclusion on Bráthadan for 127,724 Lightning damage to Morale. Faidde scored a devastating hit with Sustaining Bolt on Bráthadan for 113,938 Lightning damage to Morale. Faidde scored a critical hit with Static Surge on Bráthadan for 126,609 Lightning damage to Morale. Faidde scored a devastating hit with Shocking Words on Bráthadan for 145,868 Lightning damage to Morale. Faidde scored a critical hit with Static Surge on Bráthadan for 117,511 Lightning damage to Morale. Faidde scored a critical hit with Epic Conclusion on Bráthadan for 140,823 Lightning damage to Morale.

That's about 1 Million damage using eight (8) skills. And, I didn't even bother with Concession and Rebuttal.

How does it compare to a fire runie? IMO, who cares? They serve different purposes. A yellow runie can solo just about any mob. The mobility is fantastic as are the stuns. Yellow runies excell on solo content and small instance content (especially when a healer isn't involved). A fire runie excells in larger instances and raids. Both can do many things the other cannot. But, don't make the mistake of thinking a lightning runekeeper can't do damage. They can, but without the damage over time. As a trade off, you are mobile, can stun ads in mass (for 10 seconds which is longer than it sounds). You have your Fugurite stone which is ready to go immediately after it's previous use. You can secure a restoration stone from blue tree to use as agro on multi-mobs. What's not to like.

Despite the previous opinions, it's viable when used properly and in the right circumstances. In a raid, I'd rather have a fire runie due to the wrath damage and the dots...but a lightning runie could do just about any job required.

Addendum: I wanted to add, that what really helps is to put Writ of Lightning on a hotkey and spam it in between the use of your finishing skills. Writ will stack 3 times and really increase the damage of your other lightning skills.
    Lightning is not too far behind fire in solo content. In longer fights, Fire has time to ramp its damage up and eclipses lightnings potential. In group fights, Loremasters bring so much fire mitigation debuffing capability that lightning doesn't even register on the same scale anymore. Lightning is also disproportionately reliable on crits, and other procs (static surge, the epic conclusions buff, the free sustaining bolt) while fire has no such dependency. Even so, in a raid, Fire will crit for more than lightning will, although it has less skills that can do so.

Fulgurite runestone can be quite amazing, but it's not really a bonus that lightning has over fire. Fire can easily acquire the ground targeted version with very little opportunity cost. Concession and rebuttal is also a very dissapointing skill that often ends up using charges on dissapointing effects that are quite useless in extended fights aside from the one good effect, the epic conclusions dot.

When the resource instances were very difficult for a week or two a little while ago, I shifted to lightning as kiting using the mobility was the only way i could reliably complete the scourges. I love lightning, it's way more fun than fire is. I started out as a lightning runekeeper at level 60, and I will always love it. It is still usable for soloing, even now. But it is absolutely a complete detriment in any sort of instance, and does not come anywhere near the level of fire outside of solo play and very short fights.

Also if you post your stats, i'd suggest just posting ratings, as certain traits can have an impact on your % without changing the rating cap and it's just easier to distinguish. Your 200% mastery bonus could include the tactical damage from fire, or it might not. it doesn't tell me enough about your stats. It is the same with your crit, and your mitigation.

It's hard to quantify a yellow runie v. red runie. Red definitely does more damage due to the dots...but a moderately geared yellow runie at the cap will consistently hand out damage hits well over 100k (about 20 per instance). The highest I've managed is about 170k on one of the Scourges. As far as solo'ing content, yellow wins hands down. Mobility, stuns etc. As far as support (dps) in instances...red wins hands down.
    Even in the world I kill things before they touch me as Red RK so I am not sure why the mobility is a big deal. I have longer distance pulling than a yellow RK and it dies before it gets to me.
    Varkking - Dwarf Rune-Keeper - Syndicate - Anor Server
    Moderator of Lord of the Rings On Prime Subreddit.

Quote Originally Posted by Varkking View Post
    Even in the world I kill things before they touch me as Red RK so I am not sure why the mobility is a big deal. I have longer distance pulling than a yellow RK and it dies before it gets to me.

Take on a camp of 5 mobs. Which class would you rather use? Yellow or Red. Yellow is much better at crowd control. Red can use a restoration stone as agro for a while. But, perhaps not long enough to kill five on level mobs. I just think mobility is key. A yellow runie can solo a 3 man T1 Glimmerdeep no problem. Red tree would have a lot of difficulty pulling that off.

Take on a camp of 5 mobs. Which class would you rather use? Yellow or Red. Yellow is much better at crowd control. Red can use a restoration stone as agro for a while. But, perhaps not long enough to kill five on level mobs. I just think mobility is key. A yellow runie can solo a 3 man T1 Glimmerdeep no problem. Red tree would have a lot of difficulty pulling that off.
    Ah, maybe this is a bigger issue as I level up. I play a 50 RK on the Legendary Servers so this is where my experience comes from. We only have access to 34 trait points right now so this likely makes a huge difference in our experiences.

As has been pointed out in this thread the use of yellow is situational. There’s not a problem in using it when needed but fire is just so massively higher in both initial and sustained dps. How many times in normal landscape play do you have to pull 5 mobs at once?

Very rarely. Not a single time in the 4 current resource level 120 instances that I can recall. Most I believe is 3. I do keep a yellow spec for certain situations but it’s very rarely used. Kiting boss mobs or multiple elites are some of those.

When using Yellow Line, what is everyones main spell rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by Varkking View Post
    When using Yellow Line, what is everyones main spell rotation?
    That i would also like to know.