We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Just hit 50 on legendary server. So many questions...

Forgive me for the outpouring of interrogatives here, but I'm pretty lost. I haven't played this game in quite some time, a lot of the guides are antiquated, and I'm not sure how many of them are applicable to 50 cap in the first place. Would you guys mind answering some of these for me? I should mention that I've read Dadi's Warden guide.

(For 50 cap)

- I'm guessing I should go dps in parties for a while until I get my bearings. How should I build red for dps? I should end up w/ 33 points once I finish all my deeds. I have always played blue.
    - What's my dps rotation for red dps at 50 cap? Do I cycle the light dot chain over and over for aoe, and the single target bleed chain for single target? Some folks in server chat have said it is best just to spam desolation. Are the chains not worth it?
    - Will I shoot myself in the foot by playing/gearing dps when my long-term goal is to play blue tank? Do I need to start building two sets of gear (one for dps; one for tank)?
    - Besides Agi & Vitality, what stats am I looking for? If my long-term goal is to tank, should I focus on mitigations rather than things like crit?
    - Speaking of mitigations, I keep hearing people talk about over-capping them? How does that work? What threshold am I shooting for?
    - Also speaking of mitigations, I was told to virtue for mitigations. I've been using Innocence, Fidelity, Tolerance, Compassion, and Charity. Does that make sense?
    - I'm wearing quest gear entirely at this point (finished Forochel, halfway through Eregion, and have yet to touch Angmar). Where should I go to get starter gear for 50 endgame, and wear should I start looking after that to climb the treadmill?
    - As a Man Warden, should I use sword for both tank and dps? I see the spear has a bleed on it. Does the 5% bonus still make sword edge it out for dps? I'm guess sword is the no-brainer for tank.

I really appreciate any help you guys are willing to give. Playing this class to 50 has been awesome. I really enjoy every aspect of it so far.

Well, the one thing I see people run on the legendary server is half afk 19/24 essence/slot/glod farms. My warden farmed to 50 and I have no skill with it but nobody minds in a landscape field raid.
    There is more or less three months of all field raids and for those you will deffo need to go with as much damage as you can.

Once geared in slotted/essence stuff, no doubt t3 instances will seem entirely doable - after all, that gear is waaaay better than even anything you can find throughout Moria.

Again, I have no skill with this class but noone seems to mind. They just said I must be 38+ to join. It is outside on way to the rift entrance. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Lyderis View Post
    - I'm guessing I should go dps in parties for a while until I get my bearings. How should I build red for dps? I should end up w/ 33 points once I finish all my deeds. I have always played blue.
    No. You should generally be in blue in parties unless someone else is tanking, and even then, generally speaking it's good to have an off-tank. Ask the other tanks in your party if they prefer to tank or if you should. Feel free to state your preference for DPS if you're uncomfortable. It's generally safe to assume that if your party has a Guardian, they're going to tank and you're going to DPS. Otherwise defer to whoever has more HP.

DPS build in red is pretty straight forward, with 33 points you should be able to max everything important and ignore everything unimportant. Don't try dipping into other trees. You can ignore 'On the Offence', 'No Respite For the Wicked' and 'Warden's Triumph' entirely. These will never be useful. For now, ignore 'Deep Wounds' and put one point into 'Aggravating Wounds'. Max everything else. As soon as Moria is out and you have more points, you'll want to max out Aggravating/Deep Wounds too. Beyond that you'll want to start dipping into blue, but that's a while away.

- What's my dps rotation for red dps at 50 cap? Do I cycle the light dot chain over and over for aoe, and the single target bleed chain for single target? Some folks in server chat have said it is best just to spam desolation. Are the chains not worth it?
    Spam desolation is nonsense, dunno who told you that but they're wrong.

For effective DPS a Warden should stack as many DoT as possible and reapply each when they expire. Especially in red you get way more bang for your buck out of spear gambit chains than just fist gambit spam. I like to stick Desolation on at the start and then depending on whether I have one target or multiple, add Surety of Death, Javelin of Virtue and then switch to either the Power Attack + Onslaught chain (see Spear Sweep trait in red) or Warcry chain.

If you're in blue then yeah, you can mostly ignore spear gambits but that doesn't mean spam desolation either. Pro-tip: store Desolation in Battle Memory using Goad, which is also AoE DoT. This will allow you to use two finishing skills instead of one, because when used from Battle Memory finishing skills don't end your gambit chain, but still give you the gambit chain bonus. So go Goad -> Desolation -> Warcry -> Fierce Resolve -> Battle Memory Desolation -> Surety of Death. At max level (50) you'll end up with something like 5k light damage ticking every 4 seconds on 5-10 targets around you.

- Will I shoot myself in the foot by playing/gearing dps when my long-term goal is to play blue tank? Do I need to start building two sets of gear (one for dps; one for tank)?
    Yes.

I actually have 3 sets of gear, one for DPS, one for tanking Physical Mitigation targets and one for tanking Tactical Mitigation targets.

- Besides Agi & Vitality, what stats am I looking for? If my long-term goal is to tank, should I focus on mitigations rather than things like crit?
    You can pretty much ignore Physical Mitigation, that caps very easily. You should however invest into Resistance/Tactical Mitigation pieces. Often you should even feel free to downgrade on armour value if the lower armour value pieces offer better stats.

Unfortunately at level 50, all stats are important. Will gives you Resistance and Tactical Mitigation, Fate gives you (less) Resistance, Tactical Mitigation, ICMR, Critical. Might gives you Block, Parry, Physical Mastery. Agility gives you Parry, Evade, Physical/Tactical Mastery and Critical Rating. Vitality gives you morale and Resistance.

Priorities should be 1. Agility 2. Vitality 3. Might/Fate 4. Will. Ratios should be something like 8:4:2:1. Low priority doesn't mean neglect entirely. If tanking you want closer to a 50/50 split of Agility/Vitality, conservatively maybe 60/40. This will sometimes mean you have to choose 'might gear' over 'agility gear' because might gear often gives you more vitality. Tirnengúr (epic quest reward) is a good example. But it would be daft to throw away your DPS gear for when you don't need it.

- Speaking of mitigations, I keep hearing people talk about over-capping them? How does that work? What threshold am I shooting for?
    Base mitigation cap is 50% in red/yellow, 55% in blue. If you're above this cap you can still get some benefit; fell-wrought/orc-craft mitigation is worth about half your physical mitigation for example and even if you've over-capped physical mitigation, you can continue boosting fell-wrought/orc-craft by adding more. Hover over the stats in your character panel for more info. PS: it's generally not worth over-capping mitigations. It's not bad to do this it's just not worth it if you're deciding between an excess physical mitigation piece and something more needed.

- Also speaking of mitigations, I was told to virtue for mitigations. I've been using Innocence, Fidelity, Tolerance, Compassion, and Charity. Does that make sense?
    Tolerance and Fidelity yes. Innocence, Compassion and Charity no. You don't need that much Physical Mitigation, it's wasteful. Take Mercy and Honour instead, for the Resistance + Tactical Mitigation + small Morale/Agility boost to round it out. I also take Determination for the Agility boost, but you could swap that one for Loyalty or Justice if you don't need it.

- I'm wearing quest gear entirely at this point (finished Forochel, halfway through Eregion, and have yet to touch Angmar). Where should I go to get starter gear for 50 endgame, and wear should I start looking after that to climb the treadmill?
    Nenuial set from Annuminas Medium Armour trader. The whole set, and keep it in your inventory. It's a seven piece set and you only need six for the bonuses (which are very good); over time, you'll find yourself acquiring a few pieces that are better individually, e.g. Arthdur. Swap one piece at a time as needed, but make sure you're always wearing 6 of the Nenuial. E.g.: I swap into Longmaib (incomparable drop) for DPS, and swap into Arthdur Shoulder Pads for tanking. If I'm wearing Longmaib, I don't wear Arthdur, and vice versa.

Arthdur pieces may look tempting individually but they are objectively inferior as a set. (If you want to see the math, I'm happy to offer.)

BIS would be the Nadhin set customised with essences but to be perfectly honest with you this seems to me like a tremendous, mastubatory waste of time when PvMP isn't even out yet. You could also buy Syphill/Orophin's Watch pieces for exorbitant amounts of gold but again IMO, it's unnecessary.

- As a Man Warden, should I use sword for both tank and dps? I see the spear has a bleed on it. Does the 5% bonus still make sword edge it out for dps? I'm guess sword is the no-brainer for tank.
    Yes.

If you're on Ithil, feel free to hit me up. My Warden's name is Naur.

I'd only add that lower level Wardens are absolutely horrendous at generating Power. So, the more Fate you can accumulate, the better. You don't have the Dark Before Dawn skill for ages (LMAO despite that being a bonus on the Rivendell Level 50 armor...devs got into the booze again, apparently).