We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Band on the Mac?

I've been rooting around here and have found several posts relating to the subject, but they are all several years old, and not terribly definitive. The question I have is, can a person running LOTRO on a Mac participate in group music (i.e., play in a LOTRO band)? And if so, what are the steps needed to accomplish this? I know about where the .abc files need to go on a Mac, but what I've seen here leads me to believe that synching up with other players just somehow bollixes up the music. But as I said, that information was from a post that's now 4 years old. Anyone have current info?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolderbrook View Post
    I've been rooting around here and have found several posts relating to the subject, but they are all several years old, and not terribly definitive. The question I have is, can a person running LOTRO on a Mac participate in group music (i.e., play in a LOTRO band)? And if so, what are the steps needed to accomplish this? I know about where the .abc files need to go on a Mac, but what I've seen here leads me to believe that synching up with other players just somehow bollixes up the music. But as I said, that information was from a post that's now 4 years old. Anyone have current info?
    I've never run the game on a Mac, but since no one has replied to this, I'll put in my tupence.
    If you can play your .abc files in the game, then you can sync with a band (by putting “sync xxx”, where ‘xxx’ is the part number, after the file name in your /play command). The syncing is handled by the server; it doesn't care what kind of computer sent the data. The process doesn't write anything to your files, it only reads them, so there's not really any chance of that bollocksing your music.

Typing out the full command every time can be tedious, so most musicians in LotRO bands use a third-party plugin (like SongbookBB or BandAid) to simplify the process. SongbookBB (SBB) is the most common one. In order for it to be aware of what music you have, you need to run an external application that scans your music directory and creates an index of all the files, song titles and part names therein. Using that index, the SBB plugin can display the list for you in game. Then you just select the part you wish to play, click the sync button and the plugin sends the command for you.

However, I seem to recall years ago that Mac users were having problems getting either the plugin or the app that builds the index (I don't remember which) to work properly, so they had to type out the /play commands manually and also could not view an in-client list of their music. Perhaps that has since been resolved. As I said, it was years ago.

(Some of the above is overly simplified to the point of not being technically accurate, but I only intended it to provide a conceptual overview of the process, not to serve as a guide for using it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Halgoreth View Post
    However, I seem to recall years ago that Mac users were having problems getting either the plugin or the app that builds the index (I don't remember which) to work properly, so they had to type out the /play commands manually and also could not view an in-client list of their music. Perhaps that has since been resolved. As I said, it was years ago.
    The app that build song index is windows only. However Thurallor posted script for Mac/Linux in the comment section for Songbook (currently latest comment) https://www.lotrointerface.com/downl...-Songbook.html