We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question A few questions about the game, expansion packs, store, loot boxes, servers, VIP, and quest packs.

Hello,

I have a few beginner questions about the game.

1. If you purchase the Quad Pack, Helm's Deep, Mordor and subscribe VIP will this give you the full content of the game without having to purchase additional things?
    2. What are some things people usually purchase from the in-game store besides social/cosmetic items?
    3. Are the expansions level based?
    4. When do quest packs start?
    5. Are quest packs included in the expansions or are they separate?
    6. Is it necessary to purchase things in the store to stay viable in the game?
    7. Is it worth it for a new player to get VIP and start on a Legendary Server from the very beginning?

Quote Originally Posted by Durweard View Post
    Hello,

I have a few beginner questions about the game.

1. If you purchase the Quad Pack, Helm's Deep, Mordor and subscribe VIP will this give you the full content of the game without having to purchase additional things?
    2. What are some things people usually purchase from the in-game store besides social/cosmetic items?
    3. Are the expansions level based?
    4. When do quest packs start?
    5. Are quest packs included in the expansions or are they separate?
    6. Is it necessary to purchase things in the store to stay viable in the game?
    7. Is it worth it for a new player to get VIP and start on a Legendary Server from the very beginning?
    1) Yes. Being VIP will give you full access to everything except the expansions. Add the expansions to being VIP and you are set.
    2) More inventory and storage space of all sorts. XP-disabler ("Stone of the Tortoise") for those who want to experience all content on-level.
    3) They are in that the content they add is meant for certain levels. (E.g. the Mines of Moria expansion adds level 50-60 content.)
    4) Technically, right out of the door. The free-for-all quest packs will last you until about level 30.
    5) Yes and no. Each expansion includes its own quest pack (e.g. the Mines of Moria expansion includes the Moria questpack), but there are also a number of questpacks that are not included in any expansion.
    6) Not necessary, but at level cap some store purchases can save you a lot of grinding if you want to keep your Legendary Items updated.
    7) Hard to say. Can't say it would be a bad idea, but I would still recommend that you start playing as a free-2-play player on one of the ordinary servers just to see if you like the game. You should be able to play up to level 20-30 or so before the restraints of f2p will make themselves felt. By this I mean: Before level 20 there is absolutely no need whatsoever to buy anything at all from the store.

Quote Originally Posted by ertr View Post
    1) Yes. Being VIP will give you full access to everything except the expansions. Add the expansions to being VIP and you are set.
    2) More inventory and storage space of all sorts. XP-disabler ("Stone of the Tortoise") for those who want to experience all content on-level.
    3) They are in that the content they add is meant for certain levels. (E.g. the Mines of Moria expansion adds level 50-60 content.)
    4) Technically, right out of the door. The free-for-all quest packs will last you until about level 30.
    5) Yes and no. Each expansion includes its own quest pack (e.g. the Mines of Moria expansion includes the Moria questpack), but there are also a number of questpacks that are not included in any expansion.
    6) Not necessary, but at level cap some store purchases can save you a lot of grinding if you want to keep your Legendary Items updated.
    7) Hard to say. Can't say it would be a bad idea, but I would still recommend that you start playing as a free-2-play player on one of the ordinary servers just to see if you like the game. You should be able to play up to level 20-30 or so before the restraints of f2p will make themselves felt. By this I mean: Before level 20 there is absolutely no need whatsoever to buy anything at all from the store.
    Thank you kindly ertr!

Adding to what the other people said, the things i mostly unlock on LOTRO store are convenience, not needs, like storage upgrades, cooldown reductions & outfit combos slots. Recently i also unlocked the Beorning, HE & ridding speed upgrade. By the way, you dont need to unlock ridding skill on LOTRO till pass level 30, unless you are always in a hurry to get to places. But all else i need is included on either VIP or xpacs (those last can be unlocked with either LP or $). The only thing that affect combat that sometimes i unlock with LP, are stat tomes & even those aren't indispensable. Almost everything you need to play viable in LOTRO can be adquired in game with a reasonably effort (not insane grind). Using $ to unlock things is in LOTRO isn't required but a convenience that also help the devs to keep the game alive.

~ Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth ~

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    Adding to what the other people said, the things i mostly unlock on LOTRO store are convenience, not needs, like storage upgrades, cooldown reductions & outfit combos slots. Recently i also unlocked the Beorning, HE & ridding speed upgrade. By the way, you dont need to unlock ridding skill on LOTRO till pass level 30, unless you are always in a hurry to get to places. But all else i need is included on either VIP or xpacs (those last can be unlocked with either LP or $). The only thing that affect combat that sometimes i unlock with LP, are stat tomes & even those aren't indispensable. Almost everything you need to play viable in LOTRO can be adquired in game with a reasonably effort (not insane grind). Using $ to unlock things is in LOTRO isn't required but a convenience that also help the devs to keep the game alive.
    Thank you Yamyde.

Now to pick a class... always the hardest decision.

This just came out as a limited time offer: https://www.lotro.com/en/LegacyBundle

If you enjoy the game so far and think you would play it in the future, and having financial possibilities, than this would be a very good deal for you. One year of sub and all content (landscape and instances) unlocked thus far (so up until level 120), plus Premium Wallet (account wide), riding skill, few tomes, some LI boosts and plus some fluff. Basically you won't need anything until level 120.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirhaen View Post
    This just came out as a limited time offer: https://www.lotro.com/en/LegacyBundle

If you enjoy the game so far and think you would play it in the future, and having financial possibilities, than this would be a very good deal for you. One year of sub and all content (landscape and instances) unlocked thus far (so up until level 120), plus Premium Wallet (account wide), riding skill, few tomes, some LI boosts and plus some fluff. Basically you won't need anything until level 120.
    I did a stupid thing, I invested in Quad Pack, Helm's Deep, and subscribed already. Thanks for the tip though!