We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

I sent a message to a guy in a farm field

Three hours later they replied.

I would not mind so much if I had not asked a GM to check if it was a bot or not several days ago. Once before I went to work and once after I came home from work. They were in the same spot planting one, gathering one, next to an NPC. The first ticket closed while I was at work and the second closed while I was sleeping. Two different GMs, no doubt they could check activity logs or whatevere they do to prevent botting. Or support botting. If it is allowed, let me know!

The bots (if they are bots!) don't sleep or work or eat. They don't go away from keyboard and get logged out.
    One guy had 500 blackberries they were selling day seven-eight leg server was up.

I realize they pay to play but does that also cover botting? I would not mind, oddly enough.
    If we can level up alts and gather dye mats and cooking crits while asleep or at work, I'm in!
    Please make it official, if so. I have a lot of work and sometimes I sleep and eat.
    Where is the section for autoclickers? LUA?
    Repair buy and so on? These things are complicated to work out on your own!

A couple thoughts about this...

First, they have to have a main helping in some way. While the rewards for farming can be good and the money can come rolling in, there has to be some initial investment of a few gold.

Second, this is a clear violation of the code of conduct, BUT its damage is to the economy that neither Turbine nor SSG has ever done anything to control so will they do anything at all?

Finally, this is pretty lame overall and if they want to spend their in game time that way, perhaps we let them? I mean he's at least supplying a service to a lot of people? I don't know... it's against the rules, but do they care and should we? That's a tough one in some ways.

Anyway, thank you for my daily ethical conundrum!
    Adarin Ouest of House of Play
    Thradin Stoneshield of Baruk Khazad

How did you report it? ADvice from Cordovan was to try and engage them via chat, then use the "Report Harassment" option to report them; you dont need to stay on line then.

Done this multiple times to bot farms and all were cleared within an hour or so - except one mini I missed - who was still spamming healing spells 3 days after the rest of the bot team had been kicked off the server.

Sorry Adarinquest I do not agree that it is an ethical conundrum, it's just plain wrong.
    Bots are against the rules, if we let them get away with crafting, what will be next? Killing gray mobs for task items? Then what's next? Give them an inch, and they'll take a mile.
    Shame on SSG for not paying attention and doing something about it!

Petrikur, report them!

To stop bot SSG should stop allow multi account loggin. That's all and how they act => Punish all player because of a minority. Last story is about futur Oathbreaker's Shame nerf.....

Quote Originally Posted by Papou_sous_la_montagne View Post
    To stop bot SSG should stop allow multi account loggin. That's all and how they act => Punish all player because of a minority. Last story is about futur Oathbreaker's Shame nerf.....
    But how would they handle people like us, my daughter and I both play LOTRO, and through the same connection, so the same IP address.

What they should be doing is perma banning accounts caught bot'ing, and (on the Legenday servers, blacklisting whatever they are using to pay their subs with; not just suspending them for a few days multiple times before banning them.

Personally, I would like to know how the AH on the OLD servers is suddenly full of L50 raid jewellery drops.

Quote Originally Posted by AdarinOuest View Post
    A couple thoughts about this...

First, they have to have a main helping in some way. While the rewards for farming can be good and the money can come rolling in, there has to be some initial investment of a few gold.
    Have levelled many a farmer... selling your crit items you collect gives you enough to be self sustaining. The coin you make in the starter area is enough to get you going.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinara View Post
    Then what's next? Give them an inch, and they'll take a mile.
    Give them an inch, they'll take a foot. Much more than that and you haven't got a leg to stand on.
    ----A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything----

here is my problem with this thread

when crafting i alt tab out for parts with the sound down, the person you sent a tell to may not have heard it. or what if they had you on ignore?
    must be a bot i guess....

i'd like to see a bot police badge of some sort....why would i be required to check in to someone who thinks they need to see if i am botting or not? sorry i have better things to do.
    just a reminder... anything playable, doable, and actionable, may be considered an exploit and the ban-hammer may be authorized at any and all moments.

I have seen them in Michel Delving I think..... a few level 48-ish, 49-ish elves with absolutely NO armor besides the newbie stuff, picking apart their crops at a workbench.... Yes, they were inspectable!

I didn't report them at the time, but next time I see them I will do so.... My guess at this moment is that someone selling accounts with a level 50 character, essentially a "redneck valar" bought from a probably dubious source.

One silver lining to all of this though: If bots (and those who steer them) are in game, that means there must be a market for whatever it is they may do or sell, and that means the game is not dead or even close to dying. No one would be interested in buying accounts for a dying game, right?
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Bots and how LOTRO deals with them is one big can of worms as the rules are rarely imposed.

That being said, I don't play on LS so am not up to date with what's it like over there, may be that suspicious behaviour is more easily detectable.
    But on regular servers I often level crafting/AH alts and LP runners by, well, crafting. My LP runners(which bring LP and gold even if you're a VIP) wear nothing but lvl 5 gear till I get 'em to 20. I still have Ironfold crafters in early 30s. And I have IMS disabled unless playing on my main. AFK when processing at workbench.
    It takes 10 minutes to finish farming T1, it took 75 silver which my newest runner had after 2 days of festival only to open T3 on both cook and farmer.

To sum up, farming is very easy and quick even without a wealthy sponsor. If you strongly suspect a breach to CoC, do involve a GM.
    Roaming Gladden since 2013

To add a bit of a snag to this whole conversation, I was looking up this issue in the EULA, and it specifically references that the violations are against "Daybreak" games. Since it is unclear how much of SSG is owned by Daybreak, could that be creating some support issues for SSG games in regards to the letter of the law of the EULA?

Furthermore, since this is the actual text...

1. use, post, host or distribute cheats, hacks, mods, macros, "bots" or other programs which would allow unattended game play or which otherwise impact game play (including, without limitation, any program which enables or facilitates mining, character kills, or level increases) in connection with any Game(s);

... it would seem that complete automation while being AT the game screen and "attending" the game is perfectly fine. No sound other than the DING from a tell to see if a GM is checking in with you and you'll never encounter an issue. :/
    Adarin Ouest of House of Play
    Thradin Stoneshield of Baruk Khazad