We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Patch error?????

Guess I'm done playing Lotro.
    It's been a nice run.....

...................... missed a putt...............At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

Getting the same thing here. Looking for solutions.

(edit, 20mins. later)
    Hmmm....
    So, as simple as it sounds, a restart of my computer has cleared up the issue.

Hope the same works for others
    Last edited by WesCrag; Dec 05 2018 at 10:36 PM.
    Arlan of Swifty & Hammo

Hunter of Arkenstone

Restart hasn't worked for me.
    I am also getting a Notification from Windows that an app is trying to modify the hard drive on my computer.
    I have never before seen this notification when loading Lotro.
    Not once since 2007.

This is the first look I get:

Also this: I can't get past "file 1 of 2".
    It gets to 100% of file 1 and then the errors start.

I have turned off the Win Firewall and Virus protection, now I am getting a different message:

Last edited by Boraxxe; Dec 05 2018 at 11:10 PM.
    ...................... missed a putt...............At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face.

I solved it by doing a Lotro reinstall.
    Went much faster than I expected. Took longer to make some disc space and disable the AV than it did to reinstall the game.
    All is well.

I don't know why this patch caused the problem and none of the others in the last 11 years did.
    Sometimes feces just happens I guess.

I strongly suggest you run a full scan of your hard drive and do a full backup. Errors like that can be a sign of hard drive starting to fail.

The way Lotro patching works is it inserts new code into big *.DAT files that exist in your lotro directory. For a variety of reasons, (could be your internet provider, could be your computer, could be wrong delivery from lotro's servers, could be a buggy patcher, it could be all of those things) sometimes this process fails and leaves the big .DAT file in a corrupt state. As lotro patching downloads data to temporary folders first, you need some disk space temporarily before it inserts this data into the game files. How much extra (temporary) disk space you need depends on the patch size. Corrupt installations seem to happen more frequently on systems that have very low disk space (e.g. less than 10 GB) on the drive that has Lotro installed.

The fix could indeed be a full reinstall, but as not everyone has a speedy internet connection that makes downloading almost 30 GB easy, there are better options.

If you encounter a patch problem such as the above, but likely also the "installing pre-req" error, and various others, it can often be solved by going to your Lotro folder and do the following:

1) Empty the contents of the \downloading and \forward folder inside your Lotro game folder. This is where the game stores downloaded date before being applied to the DAT files. When the game is not running and patches are successful, these folders should be empty. You may also want to empty the \tmp folder. This folder (I believe) IS used when the game is running to store some things temporarily, but should also be empty when the game isn't running. If there is anything in these folders and your patcher is not running, its likely data that has not been properly inserted into the game data files, and will leave your install in a corrupt state.

2) Open a file explorer. Make sure your view in file explorer is set to show file extensions. In Windows 10 this is under the "view" tab in your file explorer window. Browse to the lotro game folder and sort the list of files and folders by "modified date". Now look for .DAT files. Typically, they are very large in size (up to 4.2 GB). If the game starts NORMALLY, these files are typically changed/adjusted slightly every time you start the game, so they would have the last game start date on them..... If the game does not start normally, or you have JUST patched but not been in game yet, these files should have the date and time they were last patched. - To fix patching issues, delete the file with the NEWEST date and time on them..... and then run the patcher again. If it still fails, delete the NEXT NEWEST .DAT file, and run the patcher. Etc, etc.... this will still require you to download 4-5 GB or so in data, but not the WHOLE game client.

Finally, the following tips:

- Make sure you always have 10-15 GB of free space on the drive LOTRO is installed. (If this drive is the C:\ drive and is shared with the OS, keep free space to 20-25 GB at all times due to expansion of the page file and Windows temp folders). A patch like a full update (such as Update 23 which included lots of new content) can easily be 4-5 GB in raw data that needs to be applied, so the patcher will require that much free space (temporarily) to expand the data, patch it in the DAT files, and then delete the temporary data.

- Once you have a fully working, fully patched game, make a BACKUP of the entire game folder to another drive or external hard drive. You probably won't have to do that EVERY single week a small patch is issued, but with BIG updates you should. (E.g I have a backup of the full update 23 patched game, so if mine fails I only have to download the most recent patches). If you run into problems with a later patch, simply copy that backed up folder straight over your game directory, and run the patcher. This will be a LOT faster than downloading the whole game, or even the .DAT files only.....

- If you run an AV other than Microsoft Windows Defender (which is Microsoft built, so works a lot more closely with the kernel and file system), you might want to disable it temporarily when running the patcher. Some Anti Virus softwares have been known to generate false positives on Lotro patch data, and that could royally screw up your install. Also see the note about backing up your game folder, just in case you forget to disable AV, and you do end up with a royally screwed up install.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    I don't know why this patch caused the problem and none of the others in the last 11 years did.
    Sometimes feces just happens I guess.
    maybe it's because of your hard drive? has it 11years too?

They also broke the Mac Client with those graphics changes and now it overloads my computer that ran it just fine yesterday to the point where it takes 20+ minutes to move through congested areas. The lag is so bad, I’ll walk forward 1m and then be frozen solid with lag for 2-3 seconds. This is even in open landscape with little to no graphics load. Currently LOTRO is using 102-109% of my CPU when it’s normally nowhere near that load. Currently it’s absolutely broken and unplayable.
    ~Anaxander R9 Warden, Baranthor R5 Hunter, Skartan R2 Guardian~ Elendilmir
    ~Karukh R10 Warg, Prisonshank R6 Reaver~ Elendilmir
    **Mac User**