We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Error generating hash code?

Ok, I had the same issue with the most recent bullroarer patch, and I now have the same issue with the live game client??

What is going on??

Evernight; Elerissa - Level 120 - Rank 13 Runekeeper / Alexiis - Level 120 - Rank 7 Captain / Glacielle - Level 120 - Loremaster / Anor; Asylum - Level 50 - Captain

Evernight; Hephburz-2 - Level 120 - Rank 13 Warleader

Yup. Been dealing with that since launch of the Legendary servers.

I was told by support via a ticket to disable anti-virus and firewall. Still no go. I have had to copy the LOTRO folder from my Linux system and put it on my Win10 system to get things working again. Very irritating.

I went back through the forums and did exactly the same thing; disabled firewall / anti-virus etc. - still didn't work. My partner's game client on a different laptop is also not updating and keeps getting the hash code error.
    Evernight; Elerissa - Level 120 - Rank 13 Runekeeper / Alexiis - Level 120 - Rank 7 Captain / Glacielle - Level 120 - Loremaster / Anor; Asylum - Level 50 - Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Hephburz-2 View Post
    I went back through the forums and did exactly the same thing; disabled firewall / anti-virus etc. - still didn't work. My partner's game client on a different laptop is also not updating and keeps getting the hash code error.
    AV/FW disabling clears the problem in 99% of cases, although there was a corrupted file issue at the server end a few weeks ago.

Since two of you on the same connection are getting the same error, perhpas it would be useful if anyone suffering this posts their ISP name.

I know that some ISPs do network level AV filtering, so just in case this is the ISP blocking files........

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    AV/FW disabling clears the problem in 99% of cases, although there was a corrupted file issue at the server end a few weeks ago.

Since two of you on the same connection are getting the same error, perhpas it would be useful if anyone suffering this posts their ISP name.

I know that some ISPs do network level AV filtering, so just in case this is the ISP blocking files........
    As a student, I run it through my Universities wifi - and just to be clear, I have had no problem with the game for the past 12-18 months that I have used this wifi - I only started getting the error last Thursday when I tried to patch the bullroarer client - which has extended over to now affecting the live game client. (I also imagine the other poster above is not using my universities wifi - and like me has disabled AV/FW which didn't resolve the issue).

As a student, I run it through my Universities wifi - and just to be clear, I have had no problem with the game for the past 12-18 months that I have used this wifi - I only started getting the error last Thursday when I tried to patch the bullroarer client - which has extended over to now affecting the live game client. (I also imagine the other poster above is not using my universities wifi - and like me has disabled AV/FW which didn't resolve the issue).
    Nope, not on your university's wi-fi. Cox in New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by KaosReigns View Post
    Nope, not on your university's wi-fi. Cox in New Orleans.
    Other than a clean wipe and fresh download, checking with the admin for your ISPs to see if they do network level av is a good idea, I know my old college started doing it - after their systems were taken out for 6 weeks.

Have done a redownload of lotro already - but if its anything like Bullroarer, after the 7th redownload I gave up. I'm not completely wiping my OS either to see if that get's it to work. I feel as though it's client/patch sided especially when you have people from different countries complaining of the same issue.

On revision; I hooked my laptop up to my mobile internet, and the game is patching - stupid as that may sound - I'll have to email the IT department later on, however it doesn't necessarily explain why people from other countries are experiencing the same issue though.
    Last edited by Hephburz-2; Dec 05 2018 at 02:08 PM.

Have done a redownload of lotro already - but if its anything like Bullroarer, after the 7th redownload I gave up. I'm not completely wiping my OS either to see if that get's it to work. I feel as though it's client/patch sided especially when you have people from different countries complaining of the same issue.
    Sorry, I meant wipe your LOTRO install and start afresh; certainly up to Win7 there was a WIn bug that failed to over-write a corrupted file, but kept saying it HAD over written it, so the only was to get the new, uncorrupted file was to manually delete it and do a reboot, before trying to write the fresh version.

Not played with Win8 or 10 enough to know if the same bug ever occurs, as it is pretty rare; however the fact it survived the jump from 32 bit to 64 bit means it might still be lurking.

Back to the ISP,s when something suddenly starts going wrong, and nothing has changed at your end, it doesnt hurt to ask the question. back in the day, my old ISP managed to block a radio stream from the US on average every 8 months, for no good reason. Phone them, ask the question, they would deny it and then within the hour, the radio stream would start working again.

Sorry if my last post wasnt very clear; I was busy removing Win10 from my "new" (s/h), laptop and installing Win7.

Other than a clean wipe and fresh download, checking with the admin for your ISPs to see if they do network level av is a good idea, I know my old college started doing it - after their systems were taken out for 6 weeks.
    I did this 3 or 4 times at least, to no effect. I submitted a ticket, but it was closed because I could not "test" what I was told (A/V and firewall) until another patch came out (today), and now having the same issue. I've just been copying the LOTRO folder from a Linux system to the Win10 system after it updates. But, no go on updating the Win10 sys on it's own.

I did this 3 or 4 times at least, to no effect. I submitted a ticket, but it was closed because I could not "test" what I was told (A/V and firewall) until another patch came out (today), and now having the same issue. I've just been copying the LOTRO folder from a Linux system to the Win10 system after it updates. But, no go on updating the Win10 sys on it's own.
    You likely have permission issues

So you are saying you can update it on a Linux PC, but not a Win10 pc using exactly the same ISP?

Yet you blame SSG!!!

As above, check permissions; also check HDD/SSD status to make sure that you have enough space, and if it is a HDD, that you have run a surface test for had sectors; then MEMtest, to make sure you dont have a bad stick of RAM.

So you are saying you can update it on a Linux PC, but not a Win10 pc using exactly the same ISP?

Yet you blame SSG!!!

As above, check permissions; also check HDD/SSD status to make sure that you have enough space, and if it is a HDD, that you have run a surface test for had sectors; then MEMtest, to make sure you dont have a bad stick of RAM.
    The Win10 PC is a replacement computer for a Win7 PC that had no issues with the game (still on the same ISP, same hardware routers and firewall). Replaced it with a new pc that runs Win10 and went to install the game and this is what has been happening. The Linux system and the Win10 system are on different networks. And I am NOT BLAMING anyone. Just trying to figure out how to get the updates working so I don't have to copy the entire folder everytime there is an update.
    Last edited by KaosReigns; Dec 06 2018 at 12:42 PM.

The Win10 PC is a replacement computer for a Win7 PC that had no issues with the game (still on the same ISP, same hardware routers and firewall). Replaced it with a new pc that runs Win10 and went to install the game and this is what has been happening. The Linux system and the Win10 system are on different networks. And I am NOT BLAMING anyone. Just trying to figure out how to get the updates working so I don't have to copy the entire folder everytime there is an update.
    WHY are we this far into a thread before you let that teeny detail slip out??

Go read Hurins "One Guide" to installing LOTRO on Win10.

WHY are we this far into a thread before you let that teeny detail slip out??

Go read Hurins "One Guide" to installing LOTRO on Win10.
    I did...to the letter...no effect. A month-ish ago when I first had the issue.

I have no problems doing the copy and carry the LOTRO folder. I continue to try to find a fix for it, because a few others are having the same issue.

I posted in this forum...I posted in the Tech Support forum with all that info, with barely a glance from anyone...except someone having the same issue. Submitted a ticket. Told the A/V / Firewall thing.

I'll just deal with it how I've been dealing with it, no worries.
    Last edited by KaosReigns; Dec 06 2018 at 04:18 PM.
    Mordrig - Kinleader and Founder - The Way of the Tortoise - Ithil