We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

[BARTER ITEM] "Return to Bree" stole my money!!!

I have three characters.

Character #1 is in Bree, so I intended for him to buy a "Return to Bree" for Character #2, who is out in Lone-lands. When I tried, Tad Leafcutter would not sell it because Character #1 is not yet Kindred with Men of Bree.

Therefore, I sent Character #3, who I know is Kindred with Men of Bree, to Bree to buy a "Return to Bree" for Character #2. The tooltip for "Return to Bree" shows a red warning that it can only be used by "Races: Beorning, Elf, Dwarf, Hobbit, High Elf". Character #3 is Man. In this case, Tad Leafcutter gladly sold it to me and, of course, took my 100 Barrow-treasure.

When Character #3 tried to mail the "Return to Bree" to Character #2, an error message said "You cannot mail that item to that recipient". Reason, I assume: the "Return to Bree" is bound to Character #3. (Character #2 is Dwarf and Kindred with Men of Bree, so he can use the "Return to Bree".)

In short, Character #3 is stuck with a "Return to Bree" that it can't use.

LOTRO developers, the gross user unfriendliness of this situation is way out of the norm for LOTRO. Here is what I would like to see changed ideally:

• Allow "Return to Bree" to be mailed (i.e. do not bound it to the buyer). It is NOT a quest item.
    • Make Tad Leafcutter's behavior consistent. If a buyer does not meet a condition, then refuse to sell in every case OR allow the sale but verify the conditions when the character attempts to read the new skill.

P.S. LOTRO owes Character #3 100 Barrow-treasure

this is just silly, that barter skill has been this way for a decade. and it's bound to character.

Why not just farm rep items to give to your alt, who can then barter for it.

Also, never raise this issue with devs, they would rather we buy the Lalia port anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by greetingsdownunder View Post
    Why not just farm rep items to give to your alt, who can then barter for it..
    No need to farm rep items. As implied above, I already have sufficient Barrow-treasure to buy "Return to Bree". I was trying to avoid having Character #2 trudge all the way from Ost Guruth to Bree. (Next complaint: Have you seen the price gouging that the Stable-master in Ost Guruth charges for the trip from Ost Guruth to The Forsaken Inn?)

Quote Originally Posted by greetingsdownunder View Post
    that barter skill has been this way for a decade
    ...and the Pope was Italian for hundreds of years. If the tradition is wrong, fix it.

You didn't read the item's description and were too cheap to shell out the 2 x 20 silver pieces, which you can get by killing half a dozen mobs? And this was worth a thread? Can we switch personal problems, you and I?

If the work for farming 100 barrow treasures *again* is too much for you, I would really recommend to play another game. 100 barrow treasures are the snow flake on top of the iceberg.

If you're on Gwaihir, I could send you 100 from my stacks. I will try to check my PMs in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveRPGs View Post

P.S. LOTRO owes Character #3 100 Barrow-treasure
    The tooltip on the scroll for Return to Bree, states clearly - before you buy it - that it's Bind on Acquire. I'm afraid, char 3 is owed nothing.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

No need to farm rep items. As implied above, I already have sufficient Barrow-treasure to buy "Return to Bree". I was trying to avoid having Character #2 trudge all the way from Ost Guruth to Bree. (Next complaint: Have you seen the price gouging that the Stable-master in Ost Guruth charges for the trip from Ost Guruth to The Forsaken Inn?)

...and the Pope was Italian for hundreds of years. If the tradition is wrong, fix it.
    You can swift travel from Ost Guruth to South Bree for a few silver coins if you are a subscription player (or ever have been and logged in while subbed). Stable prices down at your level are really very low. They're going to get higher as you progress. Some things in game bind on acquire, and no, it's not broken and doesn't need fixing. You just need to read more closely before hitting the "buy" button. Alternatively, roll a hunter - and get great a reduction in travel costs throughout Middle Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    The tooltip on the scroll for Return to Bree, states clearly - before you buy it - that it's Bind on Acquire. I'm afraid, char 3 is owed nothing.
    It also used to be possible to buy a BoA mount for 4.2 gold for the wrong race, but that was fixed too.

I trudged my Character #2 to Bree and bought "Return to Bree" from Tad Leafcutter. Character #2 is Dwarf and Kindred with Men of Bree; it meets the conditions for using "Return to Bree".

Guess what happened when I bought it? "Return to Bree" went directly to my Skill set.

To everyone who replied, "Read the tooltip more carefully", I have a question for you: When would it *ever* be viable for Tad Leafcutter to sell "Return to Bree" to a character and stick it into the character's inventory? Correct answer: NEVER. Yet it happens when a character's race cannot use "Return to Bree".

The issue here is LOTRO's user friendliness (not my reading skills). Tad Leafcutter will not sell "Return to Bree" when a character isn't Kindred. Tad Leafcutter will sell "Return to Bree" when a character isn't the correct race. His behavior is inconsistent. Not user friendly.

I trudged my Character #2 to Bree and bought "Return to Bree" from Tad Leafcutter. Character #2 is Dwarf and Kindred with Men of Bree; it meets the conditions for using "Return to Bree".

Guess what happened when I bought it? "Return to Bree" went directly to my Skill set.

To everyone who replied, "Read the tooltip more carefully", I have a question for you: When would it *ever* be viable for Tad Leafcutter to sell "Return to Bree" to a character and stick it into the character's inventory? Correct answer: NEVER. Yet it happens when a character's race cannot use "Return to Bree".

The issue here is LOTRO's user friendliness (not my reading skills). Tad Leafcutter will not sell "Return to Bree" when a character isn't Kindred. Tad Leafcutter will sell "Return to Bree" when a character isn't the correct race. His behavior is inconsistent. Not user friendly.
    The reason the scroll goes into inventory and not directly to the skills section of a character of a race that cannot use the skill, is because - they cannot use the skill, therefore, cannot have the skill. I don't think Tad knows the difference between races. That is determined when the scroll lands on the buyer. Much like a hunter or lore master can choose heavy armour from a quest hand in or buy it at the skirmish camp. They cannot use it, but they can acquire it (hopefully, you won't be asking for that to be "fixed" at any point, else players wardrobes are going to become incredibly boring).

If you take char #2 back to Tad, he will sell that char another scroll, and that will go into inventory - because that char already has the skill. It will still be bound to char 2 on acquire. That char could buy 20 of them if it so wished. It's plenty consistent. A race that cannot use the skill, wouldn't (or shouldn't) be trying to buy it.

Sure, they could spend a little time and resources on instructing Tad to not sell, unless the skill can be "used" by the buyer, but equally, players could just read the tooltip. It's all pretty clearly explained on there with three little words. Bind on Acquire - it binds as soon as it lands.
    Last edited by Arnenna; Dec 06 2018 at 12:46 AM.