We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

"Assist at Storrmwall" - quest bugged or 'jammed'?

I am facing a seriously frustrating problem concluding the "State of the Expedition" quest chain in the Grey Mountains. I have finished all the separate parts of the chain, with the exception of "Assist at Stormwall". On my radar, a gold ring symbol and an arrow indicator for State of the Expedition direct me to the NPC Agatur the Boastful in Skarhald, but when I reach him I find he will not interact with me at all; however, clicking on him reveals that he is indeed part of "Assist at Stormwall" chain. I have nevertheless made my way to Stormhold, passed all the markers outlined in the relevant Wiki (dead bear, dead wolf, etc.), entered Stormhold and found the two dead spiders - but can receive no quests other than the two which involve collecting tools and trinkets.

The quest chain now seems to be 'jammed' for me - I can neither start it, re-start or complete it and have no way of moving forward. This was always a weakness of LOTRO's inflexible quest chain system, but I've never encountered a situation where nothing at all seems capable of unjamming it.

All suggestions gratefully received!

you need to finish the riddle-questchain first, before you get sent to stormwall.
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Gründer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

Thanks, Oelle, I'll try that avenue.

But if true, we have both a bug (the non-performing ring over Agatur) and some very poor game design, as there is absolutely nothing in-game to suggest a connection between these quests.

The "State of the Expedition" quest rings only show the locations of the main NPC's who are connected to it, not the location of the next quest NPC of the particular chain. Yup, not a very good design. And the Stormwall problem pops up weekly in the forums, that one is cleary the worst chain.

Check out this thread, it lists the quests you have to do after finishing the "Moon-Runes".
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...t-at-Stormwall

Quote Originally Posted by Gorikon View Post
    The "State of the Expedition" quest rings only show the locations of the main NPC's who are connected to it, not the location of the next quest NPC of the particular chain.Yup, not a very good design. And the Stormwall problem pops up weekly in the forums, that one is cleary the worst chain.

Check out this thread, it lists the quests you have to do after finishing the "Moon-Runes".
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...t-at-Stormwall
    Ain't that the truth! I just completed the riddle quest, rushed back to bloody Agatur and... yup, no response (and, this time, no ring even!). I have read through the link you suggested, and it looks like a real dog's breakfast, with no two players reporting the same experience. Who the hell designed this, Alfred E. Newman?

Well, the only practical advice in that thread was the following:

I had the same problem. When I completed the Moon Runes quest, I had no quests and could not find how to advance.
    I searched Skarhald and found Runi & Hurin at 34.9N, 45.5S, not far from the stable.
    They each should have a quest ring. Pick one, and get the quest, "One and The Same".

This leads you back to Agatur, who has you collect climbing gear, then sends you to Stormwall.
    I hope this helps!

Unfortunately, it didn't. Runi and Horin are every bit as mute as Agatur. So another dead-end.

This is even worse than I feared...

According to the Wiki, the quest "The Tale of Borin" could be another prerequisite. It sends you to Glimmerdeep to find three locations. (You need to right-click the quest item at every location to proceed that quest.) Have you finished that quest?

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Que..._Tale_of_Borin

Gorikon, many thanks for persevering; that finally broke the logjam: it seems that to get to the Stormwall quests, you must have completed both the "Moon-runes" quest and the "Tale of Borin".

Incidentally, to save any other poor soul who finds this thread yet more frustration, in order to complete the Borin quest, every time you find one of the signs of battle you must click on the book you were provided with; when they said "make a note", they meant it...