We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Best hunter legacies

I've recently started playing my hunter again after leaving her at level 100 for years. I'm working on her imbued LIs. I'm looking at the list of legacies for the bow, and many of them seem very useful. Far more than 7 seem useful. I'm hoping some more experienced hunters can point out the "best" legacies, and if there are reasons that are not immediately obvious to someone who hasn't played hunter at level cap for years on why you might pick one over another.

Hope this helps...

Upshot Damage
    QuickShot Critical
    Focus Bow Critical Multiplier
    Hunter Damage Over Time
    Heart seeker Damage
    Induction Bow Critical
    Induction Bow Damage

Precision Stance Critical
    Press Onward Cooldown
    Rain of Arrows Damage
    Power Restored by Traited
    Barrage Damage
    Merciful Shoot Cooldown
    Fate or Vitality

Let's see what people say about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Snigol View Post
    Hope this helps...

Upshot Damage
    QuickShot Critical
    Hunter Damage Over Time
    Heart seeker Damage
    Induction Bow Critical
    Induction Bow Damage

Precision Stance Critical
    Press Onward Cooldown
    Rain of Arrows Damage
    Power Restored by Traited
    Barrage Damage
    Merciful Shoot Cooldown
    Fate or Vitality

Let's see what people say about it...
    I would probably drop the Fate/vitality and get Stance-Precision finesse. Stats are very deflated nowadays. I would even consider dropping power restored and getting Rain of Arrows damage for when you want to switch trait to throw in some AoE. Power is not a problem nowadays either.

Ignore the above :P
    Last edited by Happychappy; Dec 08 2018 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Happychappy View Post
    I would probably drop the Fate/vitality and get Stance-Precision finesse. Stats are very deflated nowadays. I would even consider dropping power restored and getting Rain of Arrows damage for when you want to switch trait to throw in some AoE. Power is not a problem nowadays either.
    • I wouldn't slot Precision Stance Finesse because it only grants extra finesse when you switch from another stance to Precision stance. This is not a useful legacy since you will have to stay in Precision stance for maximum DPS.
    • Barrage legacy isn't useful anymore either, with the shift to redline.
    • Power Restored by Traited Intent Concentration is also an obsolete legacy because Press Onward offers a better power restoration along with heal.

So my legacies on main-hand look like this:
    Precision Stance Critical Magnitude
    Press Onward Cooldown
    Rain of Arrows Damage
    Agility
    Vitality
    Merciful Shot Cooldown
    Fate

And my Bow:
    Upshot Damage
    QuickShot Critical
    Swift Bow Damage
    Heart seeker Damage
    Induction Bow Critical Multiplier
    Induction Bow Damage

You will need a Third Age imbued bow with only Burn Hot legacy maxed out as a swap LI. Put the swap bow, Burn Hot, and your main bow right next to each other in quickslots and use them in succession whenever Burn Hot is ready to use.

I use Swift Bow over Hunter Damage Over Time because Swift Bow contributes more damage in parses than Barbed Arrow and the bleed from Heartseeker. Hope this helped.

Ill suggest to get heartseeker+swift bow legacys on a swap bow and swap the bows for that.
    can get additional quick shot legacys on the main bow.

That reqquires a bit of swapping and getting used to it but its a dps increase.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm about an 8/10 on the min-max tryhard scale, so I could probably deal with using a swap for Burn Hot and maaaybe heartseeker, but I suspect I wouldn't be a fan of constantly swapping for Swift Bow. I might still make the extra LI to play with swapping later if I feel adventurous though. In the event that I do not use a swap (except for possibly burn hot), would it make sense to use the swift bow damage legacy instead of the quick shot damage legacy?
    Last edited by NeoBasilisk; Dec 07 2018 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoBasilisk View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. I'm about an 8/10 on the min-max tryhard scale, so I could probably deal with using a swap for Burn Hot and maaaybe heartseeker, but I suspect I wouldn't be a fan of constantly swapping for Swift Bow. I might still make the extra LI to play with swapping later if I feel adventurous though. In the event that I do not use a swap (except for possibly burn hot), would it make sense to use the swift bow damage legacy instead of the quick shot damage legacy?
    Quick Shot Damage legacy has a secondary effect for critical chance, which helps with focus regeneration, so its a must-have. Quick Shot is one of the most used skills in any rotation, so its worth having.

I'm not really a fan of the Heartseeker/Swift Bow swappie because I don't want to have another FA bow with the star-lits and relics applied just so I don't lose out on damage on Heartseeker and Swift Bow, since the point of having a swappie for those is to be super tryhard in terms of DPS. I just keep it simple with just Burn Hot and that's pretty sufficient.

Yeah, I came to the realization after making my previous post that I would need a swap bow with crystals and relics and such applied in order to really get the full use out of a heart seeker legacy, so I may just try a simple Burn Hot swap for now.

I worked on my bow and imbued it, and it now has the current legacies:
    Induction bow damage
    Upshot damage
    Quick shot damage
    Quick shot critical chance
    Induction bow critical multiplier
    Focus bow critical multiplier
    Swift bow damage

I will leave Burn Hot damage for a swap. So, the only legacy that I am missing that I would like to have is Heart Seeker damage. I'm just unsure whether it is worth dropping any of these other legacies.

Yeah, I came to the realization after making my previous post that I would need a swap bow with crystals and relics and such applied in order to really get the full use out of a heart seeker legacy, so I may just try a simple Burn Hot swap for now.

I worked on my bow and imbued it, and it now has the current legacies:
    Induction bow damage
    Upshot damage
    Quick shot damage
    Swift bow damage

I will leave Burn Hot damage for a swap. So, the only legacy that I am missing that I would like to have is Heart Seeker damage. I'm just unsure whether it is worth dropping any of these other legacies.
    Replace Quick Shot Damage with Heartseeker Damage. I made a typo earlier, saying that QS Critical was a secondary effect of QS Damage legacy but they are two separate things. The Critical Chance legacy is must-have, the QS Damage is not.

[QUOTE=QueenArleth;7897782][LIST][*]I wouldn't slot Precision Stance Finesse because it only grants extra finesse when you switch from another stance to Precision stance. This is not a useful legacy since you will have to stay in Precision stance for maximum DPS.

Doh! Never even thought about that lol. Thx for that. Was late when i posted :P

I would still place Barrage on there though, for if or when you want to go fully mobile. The rest i agree with.
    Last edited by Happychappy; Dec 08 2018 at 12:01 PM.

So no "Hunter Damage Over Time" ?
    Swift and True on rank 5? (Swift bow damage)

Induction bow damage
    Upshot damage
    Heart Seeker Damage
    Swift bow damage
    Last edited by Snigol; Dec 10 2018 at 03:46 AM.

So no "Hunter Damage Over Time" ?
    Swift and True on rank 5? (Swift bow damage)

Induction bow damage
    Upshot damage
    Heart Seeker Damage
    Swift bow damage
    Yeah Swift and True at rank 5 and no need for Hunter DoT legacy.

My full redline single target traits look like this.

In the future, if we get 2 more trait points you will be able to get Precision rank 1.

Quote Originally Posted by QueenArleth View Post
    Yeah Swift and True at rank 5 and no need for Hunter DoT legacy.

My full redline single target traits look like this.

In the future, if we get 2 more trait points you will be able to get Precision rank 1.
    mmm I thought "Shot Through The Heart" was bugged...

That's the trait for HS in the blue tree, right?
    The last time I tested (about 3 months ago) it was bugged. Don't know if it is still, but haven't heard about a fix either.

Quote Originally Posted by QueenArleth View Post
    Replace Quick Shot Damage with Heartseeker Damage. I made a typo earlier, saying that QS Critical was a secondary effect of QS Damage legacy but they are two separate things. The Critical Chance legacy is must-have, the QS Damage is not.
    So even though quick shot is used far more frequently than heart seeker, it is still better to use the heart seeker legacy because of the large damage increase?

So even though quick shot is used far more frequently than heart seeker, it is still better to use the heart seeker legacy because of the large damage increase?
    Even though you will use Quick Shot frequently, it does not make it a high enough damage source to invest Quick Shot Damage legacy, so HS is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarthien90 View Post
    That's the trait for HS in the blue tree, right?
    The last time I tested (about 3 months ago) it was bugged. Don't know if it is still, but haven't heard about a fix either.
    Even if it is bugged, it is still better than the alternative traits in blue tree that you could otherwise invest those 2 points.

I like having Heartseeker + Burn Hot on a swap bow, they have the same fairly big CD (when traited - 1min 30sec), so you don't have to swap as much, and have QS legacy + swift bow on the main bow (you use QS all the time, and swift is on a short CD, too clunky for me to switch for it).

That works for me, but my hunt has always been my secondary, so take that advice with caution

P.S. Of course that means leveling two main LIs, which may not be optimal for everyone.