We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Mathom hunter gear

The armor values for Mathom hunter gear did not seem to update with U23 as such it is about 25% of similar armor in that range so it is effectively useless. As it is gained through Hobbit Gifts which are intended as an incentive to log on and in the case of Gold Gifts to subscribe then it is a pointless incentive, please fix this so I can be re-incentivised.
    "Of course I am the only elf in the village"

I have been saving all my mathom gear until I hit 120 thinking it would be good armor. Now I know what I want for Christmas.

I've seen some "rare" mathom armour lately with worst stats than older "fine" mathom armour at the same level. When questing in Eregion of late, I've noticed the quest rewards are better than both the mathom stuff and crafted crit-armour at Master level. Master tier crit-weapons are also garbage now and not worth making. Edit - I almost forgot - another hot mess is etched-beryl jewellery.
    "You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

I like the games that make crafted armor and weapons the best in the game. To me that only makes more sense to give the players who work to achieve GM levels of crafting the edge.

After U23 came out they lowered the Item Level of the Mathom Armour by 5. They also introduced the Rare Mathom, which now seems to drop more often than Incomparable.
    It is logical, in view of the times in which we live. But to be logical is not to be right, and nothing on God's earth could ever make it right!
    - Judge Dan Haywood

I hit 120 on my capt this morning and had several pieces of incomparable armor from the gift boxes. Overall I thought the stats were ok until I got to my old armor have 10 light and the incomparable not having any.

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanMcDermott View Post
    I hit 120 on my capt this morning and had several pieces of incomparable armor from the gift boxes. Overall I thought the stats were ok until I got to my old armor have 10 light and the incomparable not having any.
    AFAIK no 120 lvl gear gives Light. Teal (or Gold) Mathom Armor is quite good if you still don't have access to 120 lvl drops. But it is not suitable for Mordor.

I didn't know that 120 armor didn't drop light. Guess now I will go ahead and take the 3 pieces I held back on earlier.
    How do you get more light then?

I didn't know that 120 armor didn't drop light. Guess now I will go ahead and take the 3 pieces I held back on earlier.
    earn ashes of enchantment to barter for the gear that has LoE, craft armour that contains LoE, or use mob drops/quest rewards that contain LoE.
    The Lover®: So suave. So cool. So debonair. So smooth.

This is CYAN. This is TEAL. Know the difference.

Depends on what are you going to do with it. If you are level 120 you should have +80 Light from a passive trait without any gear. With a couple of trinkets from quest rewards you can have +100 Light which is enough for Black Book/landscape/dailies in Mordor. There is no need of Light at all beyond Mordor. If you do Mordor group content, that is another story. Currently the only resource of Light is 106-115 level gear which can be crafted, got as a quest reward in Mordor/Northern Mirkwood and instance drops, bartered for motes and some rep currency (Allegiance and Dale/Felegoth/Erebor) and, finally, won from lootboxes.

I have 3 pieces of 115 armor that have 10 light each. I am keeping those now to give me the 110 light. They are no where close to the protection I need for 120 but I will keep them. It really doesn't make much sense to hold back a stat needed to progress through mordor.

I have 3 pieces of 115 armor that have 10 light each. I am keeping those now to give me the 110 light. They are no where close to the protection I need for 120 but I will keep them. It really doesn't make much sense to hold back a stat needed to progress through mordor.
    You should find a Scholar to make you a pocket item using 'Superior Book of Doomfold Recipe'

The rare piece - Fragment of Gorgoroth dungeons - should be easy to find on AH or ask around in Trade. This will give you a single +26 LoE item. Also, spend 350 Motes and barter an empowered shadow essence box from a Keeper of Mysteries. Select a shining essence of light (+16) and stick it into that pocket item.

Now you have a single swap-in item with +42 LoE.

Alternative: see if someone can make you a Well Researched Pocket item
    No special ingredient needed, but recipe is single use (30 signets). It has two essence slots, so 700 motes will get you ttwo +16 essences for a total of +52 LoE.

If on Crickhollow, I can set you up with that one easily.

I have been saving all my mathom gear until I hit 120 thinking it would be good armor. Now I know what I want for Christmas.
    Teal mathom hunter gear is better that the quest rewards. Its perfectly useful for landscape and solo instances, im using it in my main (i dont grind for essences and essence gear).

Sergio :-)
    Moved from Riddermark to Landroval on 2/10/1015!

I have a few Legendary Mathom Hunter Armour crates as well. The only thing I find is that the Mathom Hunter Armour seems to have a lesser number of stats on it than it should for its Quality Level.
    It is logical, in view of the times in which we live. But to be logical is not to be right, and nothing on God's earth could ever make it right!
    - Judge Dan Haywood

You won't need light outside of Mordor. Both areas and instances after Mordor do not require any light. It is ofc very unpractical and annoying should you still want to do Mordor instances. On level 116 we get, not quite sure about the number but I think, +80 light as a passive skill, which means we are missing 70 for T1 and 130 for T2 instances. I wish they upper this passive skill as keeping old items is taking a lot of space that we usually don't have Also begs the question as what's gonna happened when they scale those instances as I think they will, giving the fact that we just recently done Abyss on T2 and were surprised to see lvl 120 drops.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakenellan View Post
    AFAIK no 120 lvl gear gives Light. Teal (or Gold) Mathom Armor is quite good if you still don't have access to 120 lvl drops. But it is not suitable for Mordor.
    If you run CoS at 120, you can get 120 gear with LoE