We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Angry What is the problem with performance in time ? Sluttering fest in instance.

Hello there,

It's been near a decade I'm playing Lotro and raiding with my kinship (since Moria with some breaks), and It's been years I have issues with Lotro performance in time (since Throne of Terror raid), I'm really bored about this, this is killing my gameplay.

I know it's a 32 bits single thread game on a very old game engine using 1% of GPU and optimized with trowel, but it does not explains why I encounter those issues and some friends not.
    I have some solid knowledge in computer and this game makes me crazy.

Hardware :

- CPU : Amd Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8 Ghz (I had those issues with my old CPU too : i7 920 @ 4 Ghz)
    - RAM : 16 Gb DDR4 @ 3200
    - GPU : Geforce GTX 970
    - OS's : Windows 10 x64 / Manjaro (Archlinux based) - Tested on Windows 7 x64 too
    - STORAGE : SSD's
    - NETWORK : Optical Fiber 1 Gb/s
    - INPUT : Standard Keyboard & Mouse on kernel drivers, no macros software or drivers like logitech, corsair or <insert you favorite brand name>
    - MONITOR : IIyama 24'' 1920x1080

Symptoms :
    - Performance are decreasing in time when doing instance and game become unplayable, especially for fast skills spamming class and raid group (skills input speed seems related with performance in time).
    - What I've noted is : bigger is the group and faster is your spam skills, more the game will slutter in a few minutes. It's a real pain in the *** in raid group when playing Hunter class or healing Rune Keeper for example.
    - I think the numbers of enemies you're fighting impact on this issue too.
    - When sluttering, fps counter show good numbers but it's unplayable. This slutterring make fps delay between skills and reduce a lot the playability and the heal / dps efficiency, the only solution I've found is restarting the game each 15min... very convenient when raiding.
    - There is no difference in computer charge when game is sluttering or not : CPU is in low charge except one core as usual on this game, lot of free RAM, I/O are very low, GPU is laughing because doing nothing and system is not swapping.

Examples :
    - I can do a full Thikil-Gundu T3 without restarting the game when playing fire Rune Keeper, smooth class, low skills spamming because induction time (I can even play with combat social options ticked off, it's smooth).
    - I can't do a full Thikil-Gundu T3 without restarting the game every 15 min when playing Heal Rune Keeper or Hunter, very speed classes, lot of skills spamming because no / few induction.
    - Worst place ever is Mumak's trone of terror raid with all the mobs on screen and my 11 fellows, it's a real joke after 5 min of combat (totally unplayable).

What I've tried :
    - Low / High details does not change anything.
    - Dx9 / Dx11 does not change anything.
    - Different settings on showing buff / debuff (Social panel, combat) does not change anything.
    - Already tried to clear all plugins / preferences.ini and starting from clean game, no changes.
    - Different NVidia drivers.
    - Tried on Linux, game load faster but sluttering issue is still present, tested on multiple wine branches.
    - Asking friends who have not this issue what are their hardware, most of their cpu aren't no more clocked than mine (< 3.8 Ghz).
    - Asking friends who have this issue what are their hardware, some of them own i5 > 4.5Ghz...
    - Unplug my XBox 360 Controller (I've read somewhere it was causing instability)
    - Stopped playing this game but I can't because of my kinship.... old friends damn you <3

I can play to lots of different games with my hardware, even latest triple A games, only Lotro is not running fine and it's really frustrating for a such old game.

I'm sure some people are having this issue, please post here and share your experience, or solution if you have one.

Thanks for reading, o/
    Last edited by MolagBal; Nov 28 2018 at 10:55 AM.

I was laughing too much at the title to read the rest.

Are you really complaining about immodestly dressed/behaving characters???
    Last edited by Yarbro; Nov 28 2018 at 12:24 PM.

What ?

Quote Originally Posted by MolagBal View Post
    What ?
    s l u t t e r i n g

Fairly certain that should be a "t".

Still amazed it passed the swear filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    I was laughing too much at the title to read the rest.

Are you really complaining about immodestly dressed/behaving characters???
    What?
    Edit: oh, LMAO, rip this thread

@OP I have had a similar issue for a while now, but thankfully playing a Guardian so it's not the worst of things. However, it is still very annoying.

But people have already done their research on this, and it's the client itself, as it has a major memory leak issue.
    Nothing really to do other than hope they put a fix in a lootbox.
    "Not all those who wander are lost....some are so stubborn that they always think they're going in the right direction."

"The 4th age is the store age" - Hetweith

Quote Originally Posted by zipfile View Post
    @OP I have had a similar issue for a while now, but thankfully playing a Guardian so it's not the worst of things. However, it is still very annoying.

But people have already done their research on this, and it's the client itself, as it has a major memory leak issue.

You're right game has memory leaks, but I don't think it's the problem, because everyone else would have the same issue.
    Some friends of mine don't have it, and I really want to know why.

You're right game has memory leaks, but I don't think it's the problem, because everyone else would have the same issue.
    Some friends of mine don't have it, and I really want to know why.
    There are a million and one different hardware/software set ups, so diagnosing why some people suffer more than others is impossible. Physical path from the players location to the servers, and the quality of the ISP used is also something that can make a huge difference.

There are various in game settings that can reduce stutter, but again their effects vary; and as mentioned, the BIGGEST issue is the terrible server performance.

In general, set the gfx to the lowest settings you are happy playing with, use the best ISP you can justify, avoid wireless KB&M, keep your cpu cool, and use a decent router.

There are a million and one different hardware/software set ups, so diagnosing why some people suffer more than others is impossible. Physical path from the players location to the servers, and the quality of the ISP used is also something that can make a huge difference.

There are various in game settings that can reduce stutter, but again their effects vary; and as mentioned, the BIGGEST issue is the terrible server performance.

In general, set the gfx to the lowest settings you are happy playing with, use the best ISP you can justify, avoid wireless KB&M, keep your cpu cool, and use a decent router.

Low / High settings does not change anything to this, I'm on ethernet cable with optical fiber, keyboard / kouse wired, my ping is 100/120 ms (Europe).
    I admit there are server lags, but the sluttering issue in time is caused by the client not the server.

For me the biggest issue are those sluttering who make my game unplayable after 10min of play.... seriously, server lags are secondary when you have this problem.
    Last edited by MolagBal; Nov 28 2018 at 01:47 PM.

Low / High settings does not change anything to this, I'm on ethernet cable with optical fiber, keyboard / kouse wired, my ping is 100/120 ms (Europe).
    I admit there are server lags, but the sluttering issue in time is caused by the client not the server.

For me the biggest issue are those sluttering who make my game unplayable after 10min of play.... seriously, server lags are secondary when you have this problem.
    OK, the word is STUTTERING.

Something that started after a set period of time, as opposed to in certain situations can be either a memory leak at your end, or possible cpu throttling. memory leak is unlikely in that time period, usually even a system with only a couple of GB will run longer than that, so that leaves hardware as the most likely.

Download and run the CPUID Hardware monitor prior to starting the game and make a note of the cpu core temps. Since LOTRO hits ONE core really hard, the overall cpu package temperature is NOT what you need to look at; it may show temps well within tolerance, whilst the core running LOTRO is throttling, either from reaching 100% load, or from overheating.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Quote Originally Posted by zipfile View Post
    What?
    Edit: oh, LMAO, rip this thread

I experience the game getting worse in FPS, stuttering like mad, and then randomly closing. I got a program that checks for memory issues and fixes them if certain criteria is met. So far it works fine, but every now and then I need to restart my client. The memory leak is real.

Quote Originally Posted by Marahir View Post
    I experience the game getting worse in FPS, stuttering like mad, and then randomly closing. I got a program that checks for memory issues and fixes them if certain criteria is met. So far it works fine, but every now and then I need to restart my client. The memory leak is real.
    !0 minutes play before stuttering is not caused by any memory leak in the game - unless you are running some plugins that are causing it. I have played for over 5 hours straight with no issues on a much lower spec system; even around MT I have played with gfx near to max for hours at a time and not crashed to the desktop.

Issues with slow downs in RAIDs are well known, there are even settings in the options panel to help alleviate the worse of the issues, these issues are ENTIRELY SERVER SIDE, the current cheap-### servers cannot cope with keeping track of that many people in an enclosed space/small area.

If you have a fps counter, just go stand close (within ~10m) to another persons character out in the landscape and watch your fps drop.

Turning off skill sfx is probably the biggest way of reducing the issue for raids.

Something that started after a set period of time, as opposed to in certain situations can be either a memory leak at your end, or possible cpu throttling. memory leak is unlikely in that time period, usually even a system with only a couple of GB will run longer than that, so that leaves hardware as the most likely.

Download and run the CPUID Hardware monitor prior to starting the game and make a note of the cpu core temps. Since LOTRO hits ONE core really hard, the overall cpu package temperature is NOT what you need to look at; it may show temps well within tolerance, whilst the core running LOTRO is throttling, either from reaching 100% load, or from overheating.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

CPU Throlling is working nicely, core are @3.8 Ghz when I'm asking for some power.
    I've checked my temp, all is going fine, not over 60° on max charge.

I had same issues with my old Cpu and Lotro and I can run a lot of other games flawlessly with my current hardware, I really think the problem comes from Lotro client, maybe a settings I don't know.

CPU Throlling is working nicely, core are @3.8 Ghz when I'm asking for some power.
    I've checked my temp, all is going fine, not over 60° on max charge.

I had same issues with my old Cpu and Lotro and I can run a lot of other games flawlessly with my current hardware, I really think the problem comes from Lotro client, maybe a settings I don't know.
    Anything peripheral-wise carried over from your old system? And is that 60C the max core temp or the general package temp??

There have been issues with XBox controller drivers causing huge memory leaks in the game, even though you dont use them during the game, ditto Logitech webcams/AMD ReLive, but even with a system limited to 4GB (my daughters), the memory leak took over 1/2 hr to cause any issues.

Anything peripheral-wise carried over from your old system? And is that 60C the max core temp or the general package temp??

There have been issues with XBox controller drivers causing huge memory leaks in the game, even though you dont use them during the game, ditto Logitech webcams/AMD ReLive, but even with a system limited to 4GB (my daughters), the memory leak took over 1/2 hr to cause any issues.

XBox controller is unplugged.
    My peripherals are wired mouse, wired keyboard, and wired logitech headset, all usb.

Already checked my DPC Latency it seems normal, I've even tried with a low latency kernel.

XBox controller is unplugged.
    My peripherals are wired mouse, wired keyboard, and wired logitech headset, all usb.

Already checked my DPC Latency it seems normal, I've even tried with a low latency kernel.
    Ok, next it to look at any other programs running that might steal "focus" from the game, if you have ever run windowed you might notice the game does not run smoothly if you select another open window, however small or empty. Since you say it happened on your old system, start with favourites you have carried over like messaging, monitoring programs etc.

If possible record yourself playing and post a link so we can have a look at exactly how the stutter is occurring.

Ok, next it to look at any other programs running that might steal "focus" from the game, if you have ever run windowed you might notice the game does not run smoothly if you select another open window, however small or empty. Since you say it happened on your old system, start with favourites you have carried over like messaging, monitoring programs etc.

If possible record yourself playing and post a link so we can have a look at exactly how the stutter is occurring.

Thanks for trying to help me, the idea is good but I don't think it's the problem because you need to have the game window selected to use your spells ingame, so I guess the game is always on foreground when playing in instance.
    Problem was already there on my old system (Windows 7 x64), my new system (Windows 10 x64 and Linux x64), 2 different hardware and 3 different OS.... Seriously it's very frustrating for a such old game.

I'll try to record a video if I can, and I need to try it in full screen mode too.

Thanks for trying to help me, the idea is good but I don't think it's the problem because you need to have the game window selected to use your spells ingame, so I guess the game is always on foreground when playing in instance.
    Problem was already there on my old system (Windows 7 x64), my new system (Windows 10 x64 and Linux x64), 2 different hardware and 3 different OS.... Seriously it's very frustrating for a such old game.

I'll try to record a video if I can, and I need to try it in full screen mode too.
    OK, NVidia and AMD both have the software embedded these days, just needs activating and then read the instructions in how to use it.