We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Is there any way to make RK mounted combat bearable?

For a while I've despised mounted combat. I thought it was horrible and avoided it wherever possible.

Then I leveled up a Hunter to do MC and the experience is MUCH better. The Hunter actually does fair damage on a warsteed; the RK is pathetic. It turns out the main reason I hated MC so much is that my first experience with it was on a RK. It's actually kind of fun on the Hunter but is torture on my RK.

Now I know what a lot of people say: just burn the mobs not being mounted, since my Fire RK does wicked damage. The problem is that many quests have 3-4 mobs coming at you at once, and the RK is just too squishy to survive that. So the alternative is doing it mounted, where it feels like the RK does about 1/5 the damage (at best) mounted compared to "on foot". Whether I use Red Dawn for more offense or Riddermark for a little more survivability, the DPS flat out sucks.

Anyone have any tips to make MC on a RK a little less like going to the dentist? (My RK is currently Level 97 and has mostly avoided quests that require you to mount in order to survive.)

Ziggy, mounted combat on runekeeper is indeed painful, the best solution I have found is actually not to run fire, but to simply run lightning line and drop placeable runestones in the path of enemies charging in on you, they should take the aggro if you haven't hit the mob, if you do it right you can also kite mounted foes while staying behind them essentially circle kiting from behind, done right they won't even hit you, for sustainability use sustaining bolt, self motivation and steady hands into epic for the ages, ideally with the scroll that guarantees it crits. and remember landscape obstacles favour you, line of sight behind them in much the same way a defiler in the ettinmoors uses nearby trees, as they run in, go to one side, to make them veer, then strafe the other way, to this end i'd even recommend spending 2 trait points to get mending verse as it also allows you to recover in between passes, remember you can also stack yourself full of heals and steady hands into epic conclusion, with flashing images traited, you can even pump out a max attunement bubble right after that and proceed to dps or heal with mending.

As an example, spam mending verse to get to full heal attunement, steady hands to full dps attunement, drop shocking words, which switches you back to full heal attunement, drop a full attuned bubble, which puts you at neutral, drop a rock then use concession and rebuttal to be at full dps attunement and drop epic conclusion (with bleed attatched) on a mob, top up another mending verse, and epic of the ages, drop to neutral with armour of storm and self motivation, and hit writ, essence of storm, writ, sustaining bolt back to neutral from full. at this point things should be dead or dying and you're pumping out the heals like a god.

it's just not really possible to make mounted rk work without a first age maxed legendary and all the mounted trait points etc, and even then it's pretty limp compared to every other class. and you'll be well out of the area by then. however learning how to do this in lightning line will set you up for success later on. in my opinion learning this skillset makes players better runekeepers.
    Last edited by loki84; Nov 28 2018 at 07:28 AM.
    Belolth Hisses with fury as venom drips from his maw, scorching the earth, "come manling, my brood hungers!"

Broodlord of Ungoliant's Hatchlings, Devourer of souls.

That is interesting, you Runekeepers can use 'normal' skills like Sustaining Bolt, Mending Verse etc. from horseback?

All my 'normal' skills are greyed out when on my war-steed, am i doing something wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Cathmor-Laurelin View Post
    That is interesting, you Runekeepers can use 'normal' skills like Sustaining Bolt, Mending Verse etc. from horseback?

All my 'normal' skills are greyed out when on my war-steed, am i doing something wrong?
    no we can't use normal skills, but the mounted ones are so pointless and weak compared to other classes that it's better to fight on foot.
    Belolth Hisses with fury as venom drips from his maw, scorching the earth, "come manling, my brood hungers!"

Broodlord of Ungoliant's Hatchlings, Devourer of souls.