We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Legendary server mob difficulty

I have been in and out of this game since launch. One of my pet peeves is that they made it too easy. Does the legendary server feel like it it did? Or is it still easy mode

Quote Originally Posted by Prince_Imrahil View Post
    I have been in and out of this game since launch. One of my pet peeves is that they made it too easy. Does the legendary server feel like it it did? Or is it still easy mode
    The LS is not quite as "easy" as it is on the standard servers.
    It's a little bit more challenging due to the fact that in these early days of the LS no one has a stable of crafters and a stash of goodies to pass on to new characters.
    We needed to start from scratch and earn any "goodies" on our own.
    Also, the slower leveling rate has helped since we now have more time to complete more quests before the mobs and quests turn trivial (grey).
    ...................... missed a putt...............At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

The general forum currently has half a dozen threads debating the difficulty level on the legendary servers, but the legendary server is the same as any other server, just capped at level 50. I'm pretty sure you would still find it to be easy.

Depends what class you're playing of course, but with my guardian, I can solo 3 red mobs. I'm never in fear of dying anywhere.
    The only times I have died is from falling.
    Even doing quests 5 levels above me, there is rarely a challenge.
    The idea of doing on-level quests is laughable, since it's so pathetically easy I feel like a lvl 100 beating up level 10 mobs.
    It was nowhere near this easy originally at launch, I remember having to group all the time.

It is of course the same as normal servers, i.e easy mode. Still it is indeed varies by class and willingness to handicap your character. As an undergeared LM I have quite pleasant experience so far. I still do not die but had to run away a coupe of times which reminds me of my earliest experience just before HD brought it all down. Could be still easy compared to genuine SoA, but that I can't judge.

Will wait in anticipation of the inevitable post about being able to do Landscape with no gear or Traits just Auto-attacking with two spoons.
    It is logical, in view of the times in which we live. But to be logical is not to be right, and nothing on God's earth could ever make it right!
    - Judge Dan Haywood

No differences to the Normal servers for the difficulty. Same faceroll easypiecy stuff.
    Only difference are reawaken old quest which aren't on the Normal anymore.
    All other stuff is the same even essences and slotarmours can be found.

I must concur.

There are 2 major issues for me that I believe are the biggest black eyes to Legacy servers:

1. WAY too easy (mind numbingly easy and removing reasons to group).
    2. Full cash shop on forced sub servers.

Turbine will have longer success with Legacy servers if they scale up difficulty and remove all or most pay to play, statistical options from the cash shop.

Legacy servers draw in a crowd larger than just existing players wanting "FRESH" servers. It's a cultural shift within gaming and a crowd wanting more immersive gaming that is impacted less by the cash shop BS we witness. These legacy servers are failing to differentiate themself normal servers and a large bulk of it's players have noticed this. Turbine has missed the mark a little and should have put more time into creating an identity shift on it's Legacy servers. I believe this will impact player retention and potential the most over time.

At this stage, the legacy servers appear to be more a cash grab than a true target audience experiment.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/01203000000080ef4/01008/signature.png]Tamanous[/charsig]

One of the things a lot of people forget about is that things become easier with knowledge. While it is true that mob difficulty has been changed many times over in the last 11 years, the fact that you have knowledge of the game makes things easier, even if the mob difficulty never changes. If you have gone through the 1-50 content about 10 times already (or more) because of many alts.... you know exactly what to find where. Quests will go faster because you know where the biggest concentration of bears are. Ruins and castles will go faster because you know the perfect route, AND you know exactly what mobs are waiting around the corner. You are way more aware of what type of damage certain mobs will have e.g. bleeds, poison, etc so you are more prepared for it.

There is no way to replace the difficulty of 2007, because you KNOW the game, so even at the very same difficulty level as way back when..... it will STILL be easier simply by the fact you know so many things about the game.

I keep thinking back to my first few months in the game.... late 2010, early 2011.... I wasn't in the game at it's launch. And I felt I had "arrived" when I managed to get to the Forsaken Inn and level beyond level 20. But.... I had already died several times since then, so no Undying title for me. The second time around I only died once before 20, and it was the third character that managed to get the Undying title.... and this was within a time period the difficulty had not changed. The game simply had become easier because I had DONE the content before. Mobs became easier simply by the fact I knew how to handle them, and where to stand to ensure I only got say.... 2 of them instead of the whole lot.

A good example of this is the half-orc with its 4 guards in the Lone Lands. First character that did it: Died like 3 times before I finally got it. 2nd character: Died maybe once. 3rd character: Didn't die. I could have been one level more (or less), I honestly can't remember..... but the biggest difference between the first time and the third time.... is that I knew what to expect, and was prepared with my tactics (and potions) to get the job done.

So the issue will always be the balance between what you already know, how hard the mobs hit, and how well you know your characters. They cannot however make it so difficult that a NEW player has many problems. So the best way to test whether the game is too easy or too difficult..... is NOT to ask players who have done this content for 10 years, but ask players who are truly new to the game, and take a poll after say 30 levels or so.

But that in itself is a bit hard to do...
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Bear in mind that classes haven't been half-revamped, gear is a mess, and people have said that it gets harder after 60. Too hard. By West Rohan some folks have reported being one-shot by grey mobs.

So if you want too difficult, it's probably there in another area. Even in Forochel, it's pretty easy to die to frost grims.
    Last edited by Frace; Nov 30 2018 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    One of the things a lot of people forget about is that things become easier with knowledge. While it is true that mob difficulty has been changed many times over in the last 11 years, the fact that you have knowledge of the game makes things easier, even if the mob difficulty never changes. ...snip...
    All very true.
    I would bet a few cups of coffee (Starbucks, venti latte with 2-honeys) that most folks died during the intro on their first time through.
    ...................... missed a putt...............At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

Dear developers

I LOVE this game and play it since half a year after release!
    I appreciate very much that responsibility for it has passed to a new developer-team!
    I've supported the new team by spending hundreds of dollars on lotro-points for the different accounts within my family!
    Me and my family members happily created Main- and Alt-Chars on one of the Legendary-Servers and appreciated that it felt (as advertised for!) a little bit more like the *old game*

Reaching level 50 disillusionment occurs harsh to us:
    Rift completion possible with only 6 within 2 hours, Urugarth solo
    No possibility to increase difficulty to T2/T3
    Everything linked to crafting or accomplishing instances worthless, best gear comes from questing in Eregion!

Me on my behalf feel (sorry to say it straight-forward) utterly deceived by your advertising slogans concerning the new *Legendary* servers and I'm very disappointed and upset!

Hoping that voices like mine are heard and closing with my first two statements:

I LOVE this game and play it since half a year after release!
    I appreciate very much that responsibility for it has passed to a new developer-team!

Sincearly
    lordgondolin

Quote Originally Posted by Andary View Post
    Rift completion possible with only 6 within 2 hours, Urugarth solo
    No possibility to increase difficulty to T2/T3
    They are adding T2/T3 to Rift in the update coming out in a week or two. Also to Helegrod I believe. Bullroarer patch notes say so.