We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hitching and sound restart

There are already a few old threads with this problem , yet all of them are without a solution ... i have randome 1-2 sec long freezes and then the music restarts all drivers are up to date (double and triple checked it). I really tried everything now and it´s just killing me ...

Those threads describe the Windows Device Manager refreshing somewhat rapidly, which coincides with the hitching and sound restart. Do you see that Device Manager refreshing as well?

yes but only while playing lotro ... I did update all my drivers double and triple checked everything even bought a new networkcard ... there are several threats with the same problem and no solution. Every game on my pc runs well exept lotro.
    My onboard networkcard is deactivated and the new one is an usb networkcard and even that seems to be a problem vor lotro. I did even deactivate every single sound output that I am not using to reduce the problems, yet it's not enough ...

This is a long-shot, but have you toggled the "Enable XInput Detection" within the game's Options/Input menu?

--H

No not activated

Quote Originally Posted by CalimLux View Post
    No not activated
    I'd try toggling it. Try it once in each state. After a full computer restart.

Yes, long-shot. But worth a try.

Tried both no change ... each refresh of my device manager is causing a 1-2 sec freeze and the sound is restarting ... come on eache windowsupdate that has a problem with one driver will cause this bug on any pc. It might be time to check why such a thing causes so many issues with lotro while all other games don't care.

Tried both no change ... each refresh of my device manager is causing a 1-2 sec freeze and the sound is restarting ... come on eache windowsupdate that has a problem with one driver will cause this bug on any pc. It might be time to check why such a thing causes so many issues with lotro while all other games don't care.
    A possible reason, LOTRO pushes EVERYTHING through the cpu; modern games push as much as possible through the gfx card.

If the cpu gets held up for a fraction of a second whilst doing gfx work, you tend to notice, but if the gfx card isnt affected by whatever is causing the issues, you wont tend to notice the fraction of a second the controls arent responding.

OK, back to basics, the Hardware Device Manager refreshes whenever it detects a change to the hardware.

So either something is going bad/has a bad connection, or something is constantly telling the system it is there/no longer there.

For the former, unplugging, cleaning with a suitable electrical contact cleaner and re-insertion.

For the latter, unplug everything but the bare minimum needed and see if it still occurs, then go from there.

The times I have had a similar HDM refresh problems were an external HDD interface going bad*, a duff wireless mouse/kb driver, and a bad motherboard audio driver - even though I was using a PCI sound card.

*The HDD itself was fine, it was the board/psu in the external case

Found some kind of fix I need to uninstall usb root hub (usb 3.0) in device manager and restart then it works for 1 session and I have to redo this each time I restart the pc ...

Found some kind of fix I need to uninstall usb root hub (usb 3.0) in device manager and restart then it works for 1 session and I have to redo this each time I restart the pc ...
    Apologies, the other threads you had read mentioned disconnecting all extraneous devices so I assumed you had tried that. Yarbro is right that disconnecting all USB devices is the next logical step. I'd also then follow up with. . .

Your BIOS/UEFI for the computer may let you disable certain USB Ports, adjust USB EHCI mode, etc.

For example, here's my old motherboard's USB settings. . .

. . . If your motherboard has similar options, I'd goof around with those and see if you can work around the need to disable the root hub in Windows.

But, I also have to ask, what USB devices do you have plugged in? Keeping in mind that some internal devices can be connected via USB via direct connection to motherboard USB headers (AIO cpu coolers, etc.).

Best Regards,

H

P.S. Please note that you can "view by connection" in Device Manager, and perhaps then more easily determine which devices are plugged into the "USB Root Hub" that is causing the issue (my current PC has four). You really have to dig down though through the "ACPI x64-based PC" sub-sections though.

Last edited by Hurin; Nov 25 2018 at 01:32 PM.