We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Forester and Prospector - Is Mastery worth it?

Hi everyone

New to crafting and playing on the Legendary server (though I believe my query applies to normal servers as well), and I picked Explorer on my Minstrel.

While I debate whether to raise Tailor at all (or just give the mats to a guild member), I've been wondering, is Mastering Prospector and Forester worth it?

I guess to answer this query it would be helpful to know, what sells for more? The raw logs/ores, or the refined planks/ingots? I am guessing if the raw materials sell for significantly more then there is no point to Master these skills (or vice versa, if refined materials sell for a lot more, then it would probably be worthwhile).

For all you experienced crafters out there, what is your general opinion? What sells for more? Raw or refined?

Advice welcome, thank you!

Good choice with explorer vocation, should you ever roll a scholar, you'll be able to harvest all the nodes.

Is mastery worth it? If you only plan to lvl your prospector/forester - not really. It gives 5% crit chance to produce 2-3 items instead of one - nice to have if you're crafting a lot but not necessary. Raw mats always sell better because they give XP, I believe I lvled one of my alts to 60 just by crafting.

Tailor is actually really handy for light/medium gear classes - you can outfit yourself quickly and upgrade your gear when you need it. Or send mats to a friend and ask them to make sth for you later on of course.

Good luck and hope you'll have fun on LS

EDIT: Like another poster stated you obviously need Mastery - as in filling the first, bronze bar to progress. I was thinking about Proficiency - the second yellow bar. Sorry for confusion.
    Last edited by kudurru1; Nov 13 2018 at 11:16 AM.
    Roaming Gladden since 2013

Mastery is not "worth it", when last i looked you needed it to progress through the next tier of your gathering profession.

Not having attained Mastery of the previous tier of the profession did not allow you to progress beyond Proficiency of the next tier, and not at all in the tier after that (meaning you could not gather anything from nodes of the tier after that).

What might "sell better", the raw materials or the refined components i cannot say.

I am gathering the materials that i need for my crafting professions myself, as most others do i suppose.

From my experience in selling on the AH, the unprocessed mats sell a LOT better than refined. It was probably different back in 2008, but 90% of players HAVE crafters for everything, and buy up raw stuff to craft items for new alts, and get them through crafting levels.

Just look at the "(frankly) stupid prices being asked for low level mats in the AH, IG per 10 ore??!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cathmor-Laurelin View Post
    Mastery is not "worth it", when last i looked you needed it to progress through the next tier of your gathering profession.

Not having attained Mastery of the previous tier of the profession did not allow you to progress beyond Proficiency of the next tier, and not at all in the tier after that (meaning you could not gather anything from nodes of the tier after that).
    Hi

This must have changed / not become applicable at some point, as it's not what I'm experiencing ATM. I'm proficient on tier 1 and tier 2 (not a t1 master either) and I'm gathering t3 just fine.

But yeah, I wanted to know from a crafter's experience over the years what's worth more (raw or refined materials), but it makes sense that raw materials sell for more as they can be used for experience/skill gains.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    From my experience in selling on the AH, the unprocessed mats sell a LOT better than refined. It was probably different back in 2008, but 90% of players HAVE crafters for everything, and buy up raw stuff to craft items for new alts, and get them through crafting levels.

Just look at the "(frankly) stupid prices being asked for low level mats in the AH, IG per 10 ore??!!
    Much appreciated, this definitely helps.

I guess if the only thing I get is 5% chance to crit (for an extra material or two), there's no point in investing in Mastering Forester or Prospector? Especially Prospector. Maybe Forester if I decide to raise Tailor.

Quote Originally Posted by Selenuz View Post
    This must have changed / not become applicable at some point
    No

what i said was simply wrong, and worse, i have confused Kudurru1, a valued fellow adventurer, i am sorry.

i seem to have mixed this up with Mastery, it is Mastery of a tier that you cannot attain if you have not "mastered" the previous tier, my bad.

No

what i said was simply wrong, and worse, i have confused Kudurru1, a valued fellow adventurer, i am sorry.

i seem to have mixed this up with Mastery, it is Mastery of a tier that you cannot attain if you have not "mastered" the previous tier, my bad.
    Ahahahaha.

We've confused one another properly indeed.

Dear OP, forgive us if we've confused you as well - we all seem to know what we're talking about but have a bit of a problem with being coherent

One thing I have found that threw me was a one use map to the "Foresters Hall", do they even HAVE a Forestry Guild, and if so, what benefits from it??

Foresters Guild? These guys are there.

It is logical, in view of the times in which we live. But to be logical is not to be right, and nothing on God's earth could ever make it right!
    - Judge Dan Haywood

Quote Originally Posted by Raymore View Post
    Foresters Guild? These guys are there.

Oh gods, guess the Lumberjack earworm is back in town. Ah, well, at least the Floyds have finally gone away.

partly right

What might "sell better", the raw materials or the refined components i cannot say.

I am gathering the materials that i need for my crafting professions myself, as most others do i suppose.

Ok so Mastery is needed to be completed on Apprentice before you can get crits on Journeyman tier and so on. However, you can level your gathering profession up all the way without mastering any tiers. Here is why it is not wise to leave a tier unfinished in mastery.

So when you get to Dunland (lvl 70ish) you will start mining Calenard skarn. All metal crafters need this type of metal as do those who craft your rings and such.
    So when you are looking at say hope tokens for that level that require high grade calenard there will be plenty of time to get those crits and have them count for something good. so it takes 2 skarn to make a low-grade calenard ingot, 2 of those to make a mid grade, and 2 mid to make a high grade. If you haven't got mastery on the tiers b4 getting crits at tiers like this where it would not only be very useful to get a crit that gives say 3 mid grade calenard ingots will not be possible. Low level mats are not hard to get, but they do get harder to find as there are more people lookin for them later. So best advice to you is max out one tier b4 going to the next in all professions.

As far as whether t level your tailoring, do it. Even though they haven't fixed the crafting recipes yet, they will and you want to be ready. That and when they bring out Moria on the legendary server, along with it will come LIs. This means crafted relics from your crafting guild. (tailoring only one in explorer that can be guilded and allow you to make those relics). Not to mention that also later down the road, you will want to start making those Motes (and Embers) of Enchament weeklies for a bit so you can get the currency up to get better gear as you reach those tiers. For the most part at this point, crafting is pretty much not up to the task of gearing our players. But I have faith the devs will get this too sorted out along with all the other bugs that U23 brought our way.

SSG seem to be "encouraging" questing for gear, rather than crafting your own; at least in the 30-50 range.

The reward gear I am getting for my daughters characters as I level them up is far, FAR better than any I can recall getting for my own characters even 18 months ago; even teal, or Guild armour sets are not as loaded as the quest items.

Sure the teal gear has more types of of bonus, but when you have a teal piece offering +17 Will, Vit and Agility, + Morale and a crit; or reward sets offering +94 Will and Fate + morale or crit; the reward gear is a no-brainer.

If you just gathering stuff to sell on AH, mastery is quite unnecessary. But if you want to actually craft and max out your guild standing, create legendaries, create guild armor (which HOPEFULLY will get a scaling fix to be in line with random rewards ... someday), then you really want that crit option on your refines. Besides, that full column of gold anvils looks real nice.