We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Make Updating War Steeds a Priority Please.

I suppose legendary servers are a way to encourage more people to play LOTRO (always a good thing), but could the devs please realize that war steeds need some serious work? It's ludicrous for my characters with over 100K health and offensive capabilities that lets me easily solo content from the past to get knocked off my steed by a single crit from a mob.

It disappointing because when war steeds were announced, they were a feature that set LOTRO apart, with the promise of scalability akin to legendary weapons. They've been stuck at the same cap for years, and the stats are mournfully behind player character stats.

/signed

I agree. Apparently war steeds were to allow one to fight while mounted. Such is not the case. I have 2 war steeds and can't evade, fight,parry on either. Please update the war steeds. And make them how they were intended. For war.

I can get behind this completely. I love mounted combat, and have the patience to level up my mount to make it a smoother experience, but the war-steeds don't perform well at all past Dol Amroth.

I'm sure this isn't a priority, but with how much people complain about mounted combat... I bet an update to it would make it interesting again.
    I can understand your anger at me, but what could you possibly have against the horse I rode in on?

> (Elendilmir) - Arkenstone - Landroval <
    - Extra Life Gamer - Captain of Intelligence Modifiers Team -
    - GamerReverie.blogspot.com -

Sadly once you get past Rohan. The only use for your war steed is for fast travel.

/Signed

I think simply updating War Steed health and armour would already be enough to make them somewhat viable again.

I would dearly love to see warsteeds scaled properly to current player levels. I look forward to every character getting their warsteed, but it saddens me to know that I can only enjoy them for a short time before I've outleveled them and they are no longer useful in combat. I can't even run past an on-level mob without my steed getting killed in one mere hit, let alone actually fight on one.

Mounted combat and big battles are two examples of systems that were just getting good when they were dropped. Mounted Combat can be horrible at first, but when you level up your steed and get good relics (esp anything that helps turning), it becomes really worthwhile. I'd love to MC make a comeback.

No, please no. Not unless warsteed combat becomes completely optional which it isn't in Rohan. There are quest chains I need to let go due to warsteed combat being required. I just can't handle my steed and constantly have problems finding the correct spells.

Epic battles, I just have come to the conclusion that I will never see the epic finish after HD. Another failed addition which is just no fun at all and stops me from playing the story.

Both BB an MC are system that require a bit of learning and work. My first reaction to MC was 'this royally sucks'. It was like trying to steer a pregnant whale and killing anything took forever.
    However, the typical skill set you got on a mount is real simple. Far far simpler than native skillsets of any class. I.e. on my Warden, mounted combat is literally 8 buttons. The key is to zoom all way out so you can see your surroundings, and invest in agility/maneuverability first. Also, IMHO the option that slows you down when not holding forward is a huge detriment. And thankfully, unlike BBs, MC is not a catch-22. You can earn mount xp via regular questing, and trait up your mount without actually engaging in MC. Once your mount is traited up a bit, combat becomes a lot less frustrating. I would dearly love an update to MC.
    For BBs, just ask around for help getting through one specific battle at a time. Heck, I often run them on my own to earn stars of merit for essence scrolls and can definitely take in a 'sidekick'.

I think you do not understand, my mount has to follow these mobs around and runs wild. I just can't control it at this speed. Then strange skills I never use...the combination is just not something I can coordinate at all. Most of Rohan I did on foot but Broadacres for example requires MC for that one instance quest and my mini just can't do it.

It seems to me that BBs are getting harder. There are some I just can't do at all solo even without going after side quests. I have already 4 characters theough the epic. I just can't anymore especially since you have to find somebody who knows exactly what is required.

These system might be fun for those who are interested in playing something else but their character but I prefer playing my character who I know then adjusting to systems I just don't find fun. The worst really is that quest continuation is locked by these systems otherwise they wouldn't bother me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by wispsong View Post
    No, please no. Not unless warsteed combat becomes completely optional which it isn't in Rohan. There are quest chains I need to let go due to warsteed combat being required. I just can't handle my steed and constantly have problems finding the correct spells.
    Why not let those of us who do love our warsteeds continue to get some use out of them? People who don't like them can continue to not use them and wouldn't even know that they'd been updated.

I would just like to see warsteed skills, as well as their morale/power/fury updated so the numbers scale with current mob numbers. This wouldn't affect anyone doing Rohan since Rohan doesn't need to be changed, but from Gondor on, the drop-off in warsteed effectiveness becomes abysmal. Imagine if your skills, armor and morale simply stopped increasing from Gondor on, while you continued to try and quest up through level 120! Updating the output of warsteed damage and healing, as well as scaling their appropriate stats, would make them useful and fun again for those of us who like warsteeds and have put time into working, playing and customizing them. People who abandon warsteeds from Gondor on wouldn't be affected, since they don't use their warsteeds already. (Well, not having your warsteed die right out from underneath you when traveling through Mordor on would be a quality of life change that everyone should appreciate!)

Quote Originally Posted by CloudCastle View Post
    Why not let those of us who do love our warsteeds continue to get some use out of them? People who don't like them can continue to not use them and wouldn't even know that they'd been updated.

I would just like to see warsteed skills, as well as their morale/power/fury updated so the numbers scale with current mob numbers. This wouldn't affect anyone doing Rohan since Rohan doesn't need to be changed, but from Gondor on, the drop-off in warsteed effectiveness becomes abysmal. Imagine if your skills, armor and morale simply stopped increasing from Gondor on, while you continued to try and quest up through level 120! Updating the output of warsteed damage and healing, as well as scaling their appropriate stats, would make them useful and fun again for those of us who like warsteeds and have put time into working, playing and customizing them. People who abandon warsteeds from Gondor on wouldn't be affected, since they don't use their warsteeds already. (Well, not having your warsteed die right out from underneath you when traveling through Mordor on would be a quality of life change that everyone should appreciate!)
    I don't mind them being updated as long as they are not forced on me as they are in Rohan. Maybe they could update these quests as well to be doable on foot.