We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1

    Make Updating War Steeds a Priority Please.

    I suppose legendary servers are a way to encourage more people to play LOTRO (always a good thing), but could the devs please realize that war steeds need some serious work? It's ludicrous for my characters with over 100K health and offensive capabilities that lets me easily solo content from the past to get knocked off my steed by a single crit from a mob.

    It disappointing because when war steeds were announced, they were a feature that set LOTRO apart, with the promise of scalability akin to legendary weapons. They've been stuck at the same cap for years, and the stats are mournfully behind player character stats.

  2. #2
    /signed

  3. #3
    I agree. Apparently war steeds were to allow one to fight while mounted. Such is not the case. I have 2 war steeds and can't evade, fight,parry on either. Please update the war steeds. And make them how they were intended. For war.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mississippi, USA
    Posts
    156
    I can get behind this completely. I love mounted combat, and have the patience to level up my mount to make it a smoother experience, but the war-steeds don't perform well at all past Dol Amroth.

    I'm sure this isn't a priority, but with how much people complain about mounted combat... I bet an update to it would make it interesting again.
    I can understand your anger at me, but what could you possibly have against the horse I rode in on?



    > (Elendilmir) - Arkenstone - Landroval <
    - Extra Life Gamer - Captain of Intelligence Modifiers Team -
    - GamerReverie.blogspot.com -

  5. #5
    Sadly once you get past Rohan. The only use for your war steed is for fast travel.

    /Signed

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    41
    I think simply updating War Steed health and armour would already be enough to make them somewhat viable again.

  7. #7
    I would dearly love to see warsteeds scaled properly to current player levels. I look forward to every character getting their warsteed, but it saddens me to know that I can only enjoy them for a short time before I've outleveled them and they are no longer useful in combat. I can't even run past an on-level mob without my steed getting killed in one mere hit, let alone actually fight on one.

  8. #8
    Mounted combat and big battles are two examples of systems that were just getting good when they were dropped. Mounted Combat can be horrible at first, but when you level up your steed and get good relics (esp anything that helps turning), it becomes really worthwhile. I'd love to MC make a comeback.

  9. #9
    No, please no. Not unless warsteed combat becomes completely optional which it isn't in Rohan. There are quest chains I need to let go due to warsteed combat being required. I just can't handle my steed and constantly have problems finding the correct spells.

    Epic battles, I just have come to the conclusion that I will never see the epic finish after HD. Another failed addition which is just no fun at all and stops me from playing the story.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    820
    Both BB an MC are system that require a bit of learning and work. My first reaction to MC was 'this royally sucks'. It was like trying to steer a pregnant whale and killing anything took forever.
    However, the typical skill set you got on a mount is real simple. Far far simpler than native skillsets of any class. I.e. on my Warden, mounted combat is literally 8 buttons. The key is to zoom all way out so you can see your surroundings, and invest in agility/maneuverability first. Also, IMHO the option that slows you down when not holding forward is a huge detriment. And thankfully, unlike BBs, MC is not a catch-22. You can earn mount xp via regular questing, and trait up your mount without actually engaging in MC. Once your mount is traited up a bit, combat becomes a lot less frustrating. I would dearly love an update to MC.
    For BBs, just ask around for help getting through one specific battle at a time. Heck, I often run them on my own to earn stars of merit for essence scrolls and can definitely take in a 'sidekick'.

  11. #11
    I think you do not understand, my mount has to follow these mobs around and runs wild. I just can't control it at this speed. Then strange skills I never use...the combination is just not something I can coordinate at all. Most of Rohan I did on foot but Broadacres for example requires MC for that one instance quest and my mini just can't do it.

    It seems to me that BBs are getting harder. There are some I just can't do at all solo even without going after side quests. I have already 4 characters theough the epic. I just can't anymore especially since you have to find somebody who knows exactly what is required.

    These system might be fun for those who are interested in playing something else but their character but I prefer playing my character who I know then adjusting to systems I just don't find fun. The worst really is that quest continuation is locked by these systems otherwise they wouldn't bother me at all.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by wispsong View Post
    No, please no. Not unless warsteed combat becomes completely optional which it isn't in Rohan. There are quest chains I need to let go due to warsteed combat being required. I just can't handle my steed and constantly have problems finding the correct spells.
    Why not let those of us who do love our warsteeds continue to get some use out of them? People who don't like them can continue to not use them and wouldn't even know that they'd been updated.

    I would just like to see warsteed skills, as well as their morale/power/fury updated so the numbers scale with current mob numbers. This wouldn't affect anyone doing Rohan since Rohan doesn't need to be changed, but from Gondor on, the drop-off in warsteed effectiveness becomes abysmal. Imagine if your skills, armor and morale simply stopped increasing from Gondor on, while you continued to try and quest up through level 120! Updating the output of warsteed damage and healing, as well as scaling their appropriate stats, would make them useful and fun again for those of us who like warsteeds and have put time into working, playing and customizing them. People who abandon warsteeds from Gondor on wouldn't be affected, since they don't use their warsteeds already. (Well, not having your warsteed die right out from underneath you when traveling through Mordor on would be a quality of life change that everyone should appreciate!)

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudCastle View Post
    Why not let those of us who do love our warsteeds continue to get some use out of them? People who don't like them can continue to not use them and wouldn't even know that they'd been updated.

    I would just like to see warsteed skills, as well as their morale/power/fury updated so the numbers scale with current mob numbers. This wouldn't affect anyone doing Rohan since Rohan doesn't need to be changed, but from Gondor on, the drop-off in warsteed effectiveness becomes abysmal. Imagine if your skills, armor and morale simply stopped increasing from Gondor on, while you continued to try and quest up through level 120! Updating the output of warsteed damage and healing, as well as scaling their appropriate stats, would make them useful and fun again for those of us who like warsteeds and have put time into working, playing and customizing them. People who abandon warsteeds from Gondor on wouldn't be affected, since they don't use their warsteeds already. (Well, not having your warsteed die right out from underneath you when traveling through Mordor on would be a quality of life change that everyone should appreciate!)
    I don't mind them being updated as long as they are not forced on me as they are in Rohan. Maybe they could update these quests as well to be doable on foot.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Califonia
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudCastle View Post
    Why not let those of us who do love our warsteeds continue to get some use out of them? People who don't like them can continue to not use them and wouldn't even know that they'd been updated.

    I would just like to see warsteed skills, as well as their morale/power/fury updated so the numbers scale with current mob numbers. This wouldn't affect anyone doing Rohan since Rohan doesn't need to be changed, but from Gondor on, the drop-off in warsteed effectiveness becomes abysmal. Imagine if your skills, armor and morale simply stopped increasing from Gondor on, while you continued to try and quest up through level 120! Updating the output of warsteed damage and healing, as well as scaling their appropriate stats, would make them useful and fun again for those of us who like warsteeds and have put time into working, playing and customizing them. People who abandon warsteeds from Gondor on wouldn't be affected, since they don't use their warsteeds already. (Well, not having your warsteed die right out from underneath you when traveling through Mordor on would be a quality of life change that everyone should appreciate!)
    I don't really like warsteed combat, but would love to see them updated to match our levels. I would also find motivation to do new warsteed content if cosmetics for them were offered as rewards, I do love playing dress up horsie
    ****************************** ****
    Happy homeowner on Landroval and Laurelin!
    ****************************** ****

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoraine View Post
    I don't really like warsteed combat, but would love to see them updated to match our levels. I would also find motivation to do new warsteed content if cosmetics for them were offered as rewards, I do love playing dress up horsie
    I look forward to getting my warsteed with each character mostly because I love customizing them! I wish they would make this a little easier though. Paying for "outfit" colors in tiny groups as well as steed colors causes me to customize very conservatively because it is simply not worth it to pay so much and receive so little, especially when it is per character.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    2 Long Street, Corstead, Bree-land Homesteads, Crickhollow, Sweden
    Posts
    2,969
    I don't know if they need it. Sure it would be fine with higher level legacies and bridles and all that but I wonder...

    Does anyone know how the War Steed get shared buffs, power, morale... anything, from it's Rider? I seem to notice that as long as the Rider is well geared, and the Steed has a decent amount of Trait Points and Legacies, the Steed kinda follows. Somehow the effort to take down similar, scaled, Mobs at 95, 100, 110 seems to follow as you level up. I have several characters on War Steeds on different levels ranging 75-120 and the effort for a 75 Guardian to take down Drakes in the Eastemnet does not differ a lot from the effort my Champion needs to take down Drakes in Ered Mithrin. Takes about the same time and affect the Steeds health about the same amount.

    This could make sense if the mathematics behind the Steed were percentages? Out on a limb here, not sure what I am talking about, but someone will get it.

    But more Trait Points would of course be welcome.
    The Elruthrim Brethren of Crickhollow
    Malancil CHN, Historian Calchiar CPT, Explorer Sturmdrang WDN, Woodsman Anancite GRD, Armourer Tarostel HNT, Armsman Angredeth HNT, Tinker Dromarong GRD, Dwarf

  17. #17
    /signed

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by wispsong View Post
    I think you do not understand, my mount has to follow these mobs around and runs wild. I just can't control it at this speed. Then strange skills I never use...the combination is just not something I can coordinate at all. Most of Rohan I did on foot but Broadacres for example requires MC for that one instance quest and my mini just can't do it. .
    I felt the same way when I first encountered MC. It was like I needed a third hand. I nearly cried because there were a lot fewer options to get through Rohan without it in the beginning. I nearly quit the game in despair. How I responded was to totally throw out all the advice that people gave about best practices on MC and developed my own style that works for me. It is the only time I use auto-targeting and skills-targetting. I move via holding down the mouse buttons with my right hand and select skills with my left hand. Works for me. It's not elegant no doubt but works. I now love MC on all classes.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    44
    As a returning player, I am yet to get up to this content and the war steeds. It could really make or break me as how much I am sold when returning. I haven't seen a good mounted combat been done in any mmo to date. Would love if it was viable long term, atleast as a change to normal class gameplay.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by scorrp10 View Post
    Both BB an MC are system that require a bit of learning and work. My first reaction to MC was 'this royally sucks'. It was like trying to steer a pregnant whale and killing anything took forever.
    However, the typical skill set you got on a mount is real simple. Far far simpler than native skillsets of any class. I.e. on my Warden, mounted combat is literally 8 buttons. The key is to zoom all way out so you can see your surroundings, and invest in agility/maneuverability first. Also, IMHO the option that slows you down when not holding forward is a huge detriment. And thankfully, unlike BBs, MC is not a catch-22. You can earn mount xp via regular questing, and trait up your mount without actually engaging in MC. Once your mount is traited up a bit, combat becomes a lot less frustrating. I would dearly love an update to MC.
    For BBs, just ask around for help getting through one specific battle at a time. Heck, I often run them on my own to earn stars of merit for essence scrolls and can definitely take in a 'sidekick'.
    I agree. I disliked them initially too, but they grew on me. Now I enjoy riding the warsteed thru zones and the occasional fight, but I thought it was a lot of fun when large groups attacked and worked together. I always thought some adjustments would come, but it seemed to just kinda quietly lay there.

    EBs are like a mini game to me. I enjoy trying to get plat on all the quests and filling out the promotion traits. I wish we got 3 trait slots or that the cost of an additional set was cheaper. I usually get help when I'm getting started because it is easier with some points, and I don't mind taking folks along. I think giving folks a few starter points would help a lot. Of course, fix the bugs. I have to wonder why do you get shadow of Mordor if you dc and come back.. And I wish every EB had a 3 man and 6 man option. The rewards are well done, imo.

    I love that the devs try to add new types of content and creative story. They have done an amazing job with the world.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    15
    When I took a break it was before I was about to upgrade my LI, so my DPS was around 550. After, it's around 1000 now. Mounted combat has totally changed. I don't think fury is the most important factor. Nor should it be. It takes far too long to recharge. I'm still cleaning up old quests, so I realize that the mobs are green to me, but I've never been able to three-shot or even one shot haradrim scouts. The one shot is if my fury is up, and like I said that's not happening much. I can aggro three of them in one second, and can hit one of them with fury and then it's gone. So it's basically a pointless stat unless it can one shot white (not green) creatures every time, and it can't.

    The problem in Rohan, Gondor or anywhere, is that if you're on a war steed, and you're going pell mell, you will aggro everything and they will kill your horse and then you. Don't preach about healing, the cooldown is too long to work well enough.

    If you're going slow and avoiding too many, you have no fury. Considering how often they slow you or kick you off your horse or stop you, fury should be a function of speed, not a function of recharge based on speed. So at 10, my fury should be 2/3 at all times as long as they don't slow or stop me, or dismount me. Which happens a lot so not much adjustment needs to be made. All that would do is make me rethink my lax attitude toward my bridle which atm doesn't need any more upgrades, but I'd be happy to max it out more if the benefit was there.

    So I think the advice for people struggling with the steed should include "max out your LI's DPS" first of all. And no matter what your class is, use a light steed with lots of agility and a turning relic. The lag alone should convince you to do that. Next, don't gallop at full speed, keep it around 10 because A, the lag is less bad, and B, your control is better and you accidentally aggro less mobs. Few classes have AoEs on a war steed so the point is to two shot all comers if possible.

    And now my most controversial advice: Don't use Red Dawn. Ever. Not worth it. You can put points into some of the skills and buffs, but go yellow line. I know red/damage trait is sexy, but everyone complains about getting kicked off their horse. Turn that around. Kick them off theirs. You will smile, I guarantee it. I do. Put points into every defensive thing in every tree and you won't get kicked off your horse as much. Other than warbands with that skill, I don't have that problem too much. Yellow/Riddermark is much more fun. Look for a big horsey heal in the blue tree, and get it, unless it's the capstone you can use it without switching.

    Will this solve every problem? Probably not, but I think it will help.

    The lag around some cities should be looked at though. I've been completing old quests around Minas Tirith and wow, ride a steed near MT and watch the lag. The map seems to apply really far from the edge of the wall.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    820
    I dunno, my Warden went through all Rohan/Gondor with light steed in Red Dawn and had zero problems except maybe when trying to tackle certain full fellow/raid warbands.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    2 Long Street, Corstead, Bree-land Homesteads, Crickhollow, Sweden
    Posts
    2,969
    /Kills normal landscape mobs at any level mounted, even drakes in Ered Mithrin, albeit with care. Heavy Steed.
    The Elruthrim Brethren of Crickhollow
    Malancil CHN, Historian Calchiar CPT, Explorer Sturmdrang WDN, Woodsman Anancite GRD, Armourer Tarostel HNT, Armsman Angredeth HNT, Tinker Dromarong GRD, Dwarf

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload