We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Launcher is going straight to desktop

Launcher is going straight to desktop. There is no error message and I have no trouble entering my password. I was last playing on Thursday when my graphics card went bad, flickering and losing lines of the picture on login. I turned off my computer and have replaced my graphics card. I run on Windows 7 Pro. I recall having a similar problem years ago with the login problem and I was told to rename my Turbine folder or something like that.

Don't know if this will work but try clicking on the little down arrow at the top right of the Launcher and select Options and then click the check-box for repair display settings and then OK.

A silent crash to desktop directly from launcher is also a symptom of certain pre-requisites missing/corrupted. The install guide in my signature covers them. But. . . shorter version:

You need to have these installed. . .

1. Install DirectX runtimes from here. Be careful to uncheck other "offers" as you download and install.
    2. Install 'Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable' (note: not x64 version). Download and install it from here.
    3. Install 'Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable' (note: not x64 version). Download and install it from here.

There is no harm in reinstalling. So, when in doubt, I'd reinstall. Then check for Windows Updates to re-patch them.
    Installing LotRO -- One Guide to Rule Them All!
    Purchasing LotRO -- Guide to Building Your Own "Lifetime" Account.
    DirectX / Direct3D Error Messages? -- Solution.

I hesitate reinstalling since my connection is DSL and takes a couple days to download the game.

I currently am listed as using proxy settings, but have nothing in the address or port settings. Should I try no proxy or add settings for address and port (although I don't know what to put there).

Quote Originally Posted by Elrohir_of_Kellemar View Post
    I hesitate reinstalling since my connection is DSL and takes a couple days to download the game.
    Was only urging the reinstallation of those three items. Not the game.

--H
    Installing LotRO -- One Guide to Rule Them All!
    Purchasing LotRO -- Guide to Building Your Own "Lifetime" Account.
    DirectX / Direct3D Error Messages? -- Solution.