We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Retaking Pelargir - getting overun faster than I can kill things

My level 106 hunter is trying to do retaking Pelargir so she can continue on with the Epic. I can't get past the second stage though, where you have to defend the supplies. No matter how fast I kill the mobs (and killing fast is supposed to be my strong point, you know?) I just can't seem to kill them fast enough. I have failed the "Kill the big Sorcerer/Troll" side quest as well even though I start attacking it immediately and lay everything I have into it. Soon after that I get a message that someone else and all his men have joined the battle and that is my kiss of death. They all swarm me en masse, taking down my health so fast I can't stay alive, and next thing I know, everyone's dead and I've failed.

What's going on? I have a FA imbued bow which I spent all festival piling star-lits on, so it's only 8 away from being maxxed. I'm wearing gear that the quests up until now have given me. I'm using hobbit present scrolls of morale and attack damage, plus food. Not sure what else to do and I really need to finish this or I can't advance the story.

Hey there

You did not mention your EB engineer rank? A rank 3 engineer can move the 4 baracades near the supplies into the gap through which the corsairs are attacking. These combined with your tripwire should stop the position being overrun. Assuming you have already done the 5 Rohan EBs then I guess you should be at least rank 3?

Those baracades are really the only way to avoid being overrun if you are in there solo. Other option is to grab a partner in LFF channel.

Happy hunting

Also - putting the officer in 2H stance, target priority Sappers, will boost your soldier's damage, and protect the supplies to some degree.

You can do that straight as the gate opens from Stage 1 - he's standing right there at the top of the stairs. If you switch to officer line just as stage one ends, go through the gate, give him stance/priority orders, the CD to switch back to Engineer should be done - then you're off to mess w/barricades.

Then drop back occasionally and tell him to speed it along and do more damage.

Lastly, if you must, cut a few grappling hooks to slow down the volume of incoming mobs.

I have noticed the 2nd stage is more hurried nowadays, used to have slower pace. Especially if you get the backs against wall, and doing it solo, the barricade position is easily overrun nomatter what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Adael View Post
    I have noticed the 2nd stage is more hurried nowadays, used to have slower pace. Especially if you get the backs against wall, and doing it solo, the barricade position is easily overrun nomatter what you do.
    I have had that happen too recently when I did it solo. EBs generally are way tougher since U23. Mob HP has increased significantly so the defending soldiers cant kill them as easily as previously. I guess SSG need to give the defending soldiers a bit more of a damage boost.

If your current Epic Battle Role has all your ranks in Engineer or Officer, try making your second tab specialized in Vanguard. For me this made the difference- I didn't spend much time farming/leveling epic battles, and Retaking Pelargir was too difficult for me as a low-rank Engineer. Tried it as Vanguard and it was much easier.

Failed a few more times tonight but I did make it past the supplies stage and onto the last stage. I can't seem to get past that stage now. Elrohir keeps dying which causes me to fail. This last time I made to the point where the dead starting pushing all the enemies back, but by that point so many of my soldiers had died (and the captain too) that I had about 12 mobs I was kiting. Then Elrohir died again.

I don't have enough promotion points to do some of what people are suggesting, but I did switch from engineer to Officer. I've been healing my troops whenever possible but it's still not enough by the time I get to the end. I'm not sure what "rank" I am, but I have 50 promotion points spent in the blue line. It's still not enough to make the soldiers go two-handed though.

The enemies just keep swarming me or Elrohir. I keep dying which gives me a reset from aggro, but then Elrohir gets them all and he just can't take that many enemies. I don't know if there's a way to get the other allies to help him, but directing the soldiers to fight a certain mob with one of my special skills doesn't seem to do anything. They never change targets when I use it.

Yeah, running solo, you really need those promotion points in both engineer and officer, swapping at the right times and going straight from objective to objective w/o hesitation (to mean, start w/officer order, straight to cata build/fire) back to the officer, cut some hooks, hit the SQ, cut more hooks, back to officer. It's tough solo, no doubt.

At 50 points you are still rank 2, that's practcally nothing. You do have all your points in engineer on one tree tab and all points in officer on the other, right? Not trying to build both in same tab? Granted, there is a cooldown to switch trees and you can't do it when in combat, but you generally should have no issue swapping as needed.
    For me, at 50ish points it was nightmare, at 100 it was way better and now at 240+ it is actually fun (or at least was till u23, did not run any since it launched)

These quests need to be completable by players with minimal points, because this area is not end game and hasn't been in a long while, which means players come into these quests wanting to do the epic story and move on. Expecting players to grind for weeks just to gain enough points to complete these isn't practical, fun or realistic.

I'm still stuck on Pelegir and I'm at a loss on how to complete this. No matter what I do, every mob in the instance aggros me during phase three making it impossible for me to stay alive. I die, come back, and shortly after Elrohir dies...Every Single Time.

I hate the thought of abandoning this epic, since this character has completed every one up until this point. I'm afraid that may be my only option.

Edit: I have watched a video to try and get some help, but the character has more points and abilities than I do and doesn't seem to have any way near the number of mobs attacking him that I do. Not sure why that is. I even tried not attacking anything at all during phase three, but still I ended up with 9 mobs climbing over the wall and immediately making a bee line for me. The character in the video never had this happen. Why is my experience so different?
    Last edited by CloudCastle; Nov 19 2018 at 09:36 PM.

Cloud - and you can't find one single other person to duo it with you? I mean, if you just need to get past the EB, I'm quite certain there is someone on your server who would be happy to help.

Without all your points I would be in the looking for fellowship channel. I see people doing that instance all day and its a fun time 99% of the groups.

I'll try asking if anyone wants to group up for it. I like being able to complete content myself though, especially when I know that I did it before on my own (on my RK) and others before me have also done so. It's makes me feel like I should be able to.

Are the soldiers less competent that they used to be? I've read some advice and watched that video I mentioned, and I see people saying that you can leave the area to do side quests ans the soldiers will take care of things. If I do any side quests, however, the soldiers very quickly become overrun and I fail soon after. I also still can't figure out why I have so many mobs during phase three. It occurred to me last night that if my soldiers weren't doing enough DPS or were dying too quickly, that might explain why I seem to have such an overabundance of mobs that immediately draw aggro on me.

Just feeling very frustrated.

My opinion is the Epic Battles are broken and have been for a while now. Ones I soloed quite easily (as far as completing, not getting all side quests, etc. done) first time through in the past are now proving to be quite difficult. In Pelargir I've seen masses of mobs swarming over the walls at the end. Last time I did it, on a Mini, I had to kite about 20 mobs around trying to avoid having the Elf die. Not to mention my character. This never happened before that I have seen.

I did it!! I completed it tonight, solo, and even got a gold medal for overall completion! I have someone on the LOTRO Reddit to thank, who gave me some detailed advice. Given how frustrated I was with this instance, and how I had struggled with it off and on for nearly two weeks, I thought I should share with you all the good news.

What made the difference? I went in specced in Engineer (54 points) and for the final phase I went straight to the far right platform, where I used the catapult to knock out groups of mobs whenever I saw them coming. This is the side where most of the mobs seem to come from and where I would always get overwhelmed. Interestingly, the video I watched recommended staying away from this side all together, but doing the opposite is what finally worked for me. This kept the waves more manageable, and in between waves I knocked down grappling hooks and lay down traps. By the end I was standing around waiting for the instance to end because there were no more mobs! I couldn't believe the difference. I did this on a hunter.

I hope my story can give others hope and encouragement if they find themselves struggling with this.

Congratulations!

Leave a comment on YouTube that the method described in that video didn't work for you please. Might help others

The video likely details getting solo platinum, assumes having rank 5+ and is done before U23. Recent sledgehammer changes to mob scaling really messed things up across the board.

Whoever is twiddling the knobs in EBs (without bothering to tell us about it in patch notes) is apparently doing it without a faintest clue.

The flow of battle is generally such that X number of mobs need to die to complete a stage, and also, side quests trigger after certain number of mob kills. Using catapults speeds the process, meaning you get side quests triggered sooner. This can lead to stage-finishing event also coming in while you are still dealing with a side quest.
    Cutting hooks/ladders slows down the process and can take down incoming mobs to a trickle. Note however that unless you have high disarm contribution rating, you would really struggle at that.

Prior to U23, I could get plat solo easily on Pelargir. Did not really try any battles after.

Congrats on getting through the battle.

@OP, consider this:

There's a huge jump in mob scaling between 105 (Minas Tirith / Far Anorien) and 106 (Mordor expac).

Your toon is probably mostly geared at 105 (well-upgraded FA excepted) and you have now fallen behind the expected curve of stats due to the enormous jump between 105 and 106.

Grats on getting through it despite the difficulty!

Quote Originally Posted by CloudCastle View Post
    These quests need to be completable by players with minimal points, because this area is not end game and hasn't been in a long while, which means players come into these quests wanting to do the epic story and move on. Expecting players to grind for weeks just to gain enough points to complete these isn't practical, fun or realistic.

I'm still stuck on Pelegir and I'm at a loss on how to complete this. No matter what I do, every mob in the instance aggros me during phase three making it impossible for me to stay alive. I die, come back, and shortly after Elrohir dies...Every Single Time.

I hate the thought of abandoning this epic, since this character has completed every one up until this point. I'm afraid that may be my only option.

Edit: I have watched a video to try and get some help, but the character has more points and abilities than I do and doesn't seem to have any way near the number of mobs attacking him that I do. Not sure why that is. I even tried not attacking anything at all during phase three, but still I ended up with 9 mobs climbing over the wall and immediately making a bee line for me. The character in the video never had this happen. Why is my experience so different?
    I completely agree with you. I have stopped completing the HD epic and the Pelagir epic due to BBs. Couldn't even finish Helm's Dike solo on my last try.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathmor-Laurelin View Post
    Congratulations!

Leave a comment on YouTube that the method described in that video didn't work for you please. Might help others
    Whatever the character did in their video obviously worked for them, so I'm afraid that there just seems to be too many variables going on here. The devs are frequently tweaking mobs, people are specced differently, with wildly differing numbers of points, classes have different weaknesses and strengths. One thing both the video and my final playthrough had in common though was making use of the catapults. If there is a "secret" to getting through phase III of Pelargir, it may be that. Otherwise the mob density is just insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtower View Post
    @OP, consider this:

There's a huge jump in mob scaling between 105 (Minas Tirith / Far Anorien) and 106 (Mordor expac).

Your toon is probably mostly geared at 105 (well-upgraded FA excepted) and you have now fallen behind the expected curve of stats due to the enormous jump between 105 and 106.

Grats on getting through it despite the difficulty!
    I'm still questing in level 100 areas, so still wearing level 100 quest gear even though I am now level 107. I thought I saw the Epic Battles all scaling me down to level 100 though, and all the mobs doing the same. That's actually one of the more frustrating aspects of scaled instances - you can't get through a tough quest by outleveling it and just going back to finish it later. If you get stuck, you are perpetually stuck...I'm not sure if better gear even helps.

Quote Originally Posted by scorrp10 View Post
    The flow of battle is generally such that X number of mobs need to die to complete a stage, and also, side quests trigger after certain number of mob kills. Using catapults speeds the process, meaning you get side quests triggered sooner. This can lead to stage-finishing event also coming in while you are still dealing with a side quest.
    Cutting hooks/ladders slows down the process and can take down incoming mobs to a trickle. Note however that unless you have high disarm contribution rating, you would really struggle at that.
    This does appear to be happening. Every time I ran it, I was unable to complete the first triggered side quest in phase II because the "Epic Foe" side quest triggered before the first was done. Both quests require you to be in the immediate area to complete them, which meant I had to choose, because I couldn't be in both places at once.

Quote Originally Posted by wispsong View Post
    I completely agree with you. I have stopped completing the HD epic and the Pelagir epic due to BBs. Couldn't even finish Helm's Dike solo on my last try.
    I'm sorry these quests are giving you so much trouble as well. The Deeping Wall is the one I always fail at least once before getting through, but so far I have found Pelargir to be the hardest. The most common advice I see for people struggling to complete these is to "get someone with tons of points to help you through it." I don't think this is very helpful, because finding someone to carry you through up to eight different epic battles just so you can continue the story is not easy. These should be completable by anyone wearing current level quest gear and with minimal points. If you want to earn oodles of medals, THEN you can work your points up and rally other players to group with you. Basic story content however, should never be gated behind the whims and schedules of other players.

Thing is, these battles are actually soloable - they can just be very difficult, and figuring out the "trick" that works for you can be a royal pain, as my experience indicates.

Well if anyone is stuck in BBs on Crickhollow, I could definitely help out.
    Also you hardly need that someone to take you through all 8 battles at once. Ask around in LFF for one specific battle help at a time.