We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Continuously being killed in Chapter 8.7 The First Promise instance

I'm a level 119 Guardian. I'm suited up pretty well too. As I start this instance, 8.7 The First Promise, and run down the stairs to help defend the castle from drakes, I die. Over and over. I run up the stairs, down the stairs...and die. I keep getting killed by small drakes. I usually have no issues killing these. Even if its 3 at a time. But I'm getting wiped out by 1 and 2. and real fast. Maybe 3 hits and I'm dead. There seems to be an issue that these drakes in this instance are hitting way too hard. And after being killed 6+ times, I just cant go on any longer with this quest. Can someone please look into this?
    Thanks.

Yeah, it's pretty nuts. I start the instance and immediately two of them aggro on me (I'd be happy to let Durin do all the work) and then it's a steady stream of 3,800 damage multiple times per second until I'm dead.

And then the rez circle is in Erebor. And you can't rejoin the instance in progress--you have to start completely over.

I think the key is to stand very still when you fight, which is against instinct for many of us--I think you take damage entering and leaving their aura (in addition to while you're standing in it), and it has a very small radius. And there are multiple auras.
    Last edited by Frisco; Nov 08 2018 at 02:49 AM.
    Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post

I think the key is to stand very still when you fight, which is against instinct for many of us--I think you take damage entering and leaving their aura (in addition to while you're standing in it), and it has a very small radius. And there are multiple auras.
    You may be on to sth here - after surviving long enough to be directed to the center of the plaza to help with balistae, I stopped for morale regen. Must have chosen a good spot amidst all that chaos as nothing attacked me as long as I stood still. Looking back, I may have switched to walking, progress carefully and try to kill quickly/stay alive.
    Roaming Gladden since 2013

I had that issue also

As soon as you click on Durin, run away up to the balistas and let him take the aggro. At most one drake will follow you.

To be honest for the rest of the instance you can stand back and let Durin do the fighting. He is a pretty durable wee fellow.

Good luck next time you try

I will try out these tips. Ill post again to let you all know if I get through it.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patmustard View Post
    I had that issue also

As soon as you click on Durin, run away up to the balistas and let him take the aggro. At most one drake will follow you.

To be honest for the rest of the instance you can stand back and let Durin do the fighting. He is a pretty durable wee fellow.

Good luck next time you try
    No, at most 3 drakes will follow you. I think he may have some AOE, but I've had 3 aggro on me.
    Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...

Nope. Keep dying. This is really BS. Ive tried this so many ways, I just cant stay alive. MAYBE they should tone these down just a bit. Dont know if its just a guardian thing, but Im getting hammered from these small drakes.

I died on those 3 drakelings too on my champ. You can't really get prepared for the fight, because they pop up out of nowhere and they all seem to target the player, at least if s/he is the one nearest to them. I survived in my 2nd try only, because I stunned them with my horn, applied Rend bleed, started running away from their aura, and AoE'd them from range using Raging blades.

Guards don't have horns, but they have this AoE stun when sprint is fully traited, if I remember correctly. You could try the same: stun, AoE bleed with that slashing skill (whatever its name is), run away (sprint still active), and healing (guardian's pledge? I forget the skill names). Of course, if you get killed in just few hits, there is probably too little time to do all that.

The problem -- or one of the problems -- in these later levels is, that your tactical mitigations drop very rapidly after lvl 115, and the gear you get from quests isn't sufficient in that regard. My champ had tact. mit around 20% when he started doing crafting resource instances, and got his butt handed to him quite a many times when there were several tactical mobs around.

I'm not sure if this is working as intended, and I don't mind the challenge in general, but there are some specific situations where the gearing vs. content seems a bit broken in the newest area.

So I actually made it without getting killed all the way to where Botuz Frostblood is fighting a big drake. But I get stunned and seem to be rooted and have been for over 5 min. Just standing twirling around. This seems very much bugged.
    **update** What I found out is that it was bugged,. When I was rooted, a Huge Named Drake was supposed to fly up and land. It never did. Thats why i was rooted and the quest was not proceeding to the next part.
    Last edited by hobbit1968; Nov 09 2018 at 01:01 AM.

Just ran this on my 120 Hunter - the drakes at the very beginning knocked me down quite a bit, but I was able to overcome that and the rest of the instance was no problem.

I did this instance two weeks ago on my champ, didn't have trouble.
    BUT
    There are reports in the general forums that certain dots/bleeds do way too much damage after update 23.1.4. If the dragon's aura is doing all that nasty damage, maybe it is due to that bug? The damage didn't seem to bee an issue before (this thread pops up two days after 23.1.4).

Vastin is aware, hopefully this will be fixed next week or so.

*edit* linked this thread here, because Vastin asked for examples:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...s-off-the-hook
    Last edited by Gorikon; Nov 09 2018 at 06:14 AM.

Thank you for everyones help. I did end yp having someone help me go through it. Otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to do it. Being a Guardian, all agro was on me and there was no way I could have done it alone.
    Again, thanks all.

I won't deny hunter DPS and self-heals were probably the only thing that got me through it and yes - those DoTs were na-a-sty.

I tried this a couple of times this morning to no avail. My second attempt, I ran away from durin and only got 1 drake which took away over half my health with just the dot's. But I was no where near durin and after the first one was dead, I had 3 more right on top of me. I lasted just a few seconds even though I was running away from them. I hadn't even attacked them but they came straight to me and I was one the steps away from the battle. If it is bugged, it is really bad at the moment. Even on landscape quests, I suffer greatly from dot's. One little drake can nearly take all my health away and at 130k health that seems a bit outrageous. I thought the dot's were bad enough in Mordor but these are just over the top terrible. If I had 3 or more little drakes at once, I would expect to take that kind of dot damage but doing so just with 1 is kinda crazy.

I'm convinced that issue has to do with overpowered dots introduced in one of last patches.
    I did it on my first toon (hunter) like 3 weeks ago without problems.
    Recently on my cappy I tried few times in red line and I was quickly defeated as described above. Then I tried in yellow line but with dps gear, was a bit better but I still died. I've managed to finish it only after switching to fully tank gear (~190k morale).
    Not to mention after each retreat you need to ride all the way back, first to Skarhald, then to keep and start it over...
    I think on healer to do it in current state you probably need to switch to full healing and just try to keep yourself alive.
    This definitely needs fixing!

MadeOfLions Needs to look at this.

I too am having trouble completing this quest. The frost / cold mitigation from the drakes are too much. I would like to have MadeOfLions take a look at this and see if this is working properly. For me, this quest is now broken and I can't complete it.

Quote Originally Posted by marmi View Post
    I'm convinced that issue has to do with overpowered dots introduced in one of last patches.
    I did it on my first toon (hunter) like 3 weeks ago without problems.
    Recently on my cappy I tried few times in red line and I was quickly defeated as described above. Then I tried in yellow line but with dps gear, was a bit better but I still died. I've managed to finish it only after switching to fully tank gear (~190k morale).
    Not to mention after each retreat you need to ride all the way back, first to Skarhald, then to keep and start it over...
    I think on healer to do it in current state you probably need to switch to full healing and just try to keep yourself alive.
    This definitely needs fixing!
    Same here. My hunter completed this a few weeks ago without much of a problem. Recently I tried it with my champ and with my LM and neither are able to survive the first drake attack. They are dead in seconds. I am sure it has to do with the DOT bug mentioned elsewhere. I won't ty this instance again before the bug has been fixed. Shame of that cloak.
    "Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world."

I can confirm that chapter 8.7 is not doable right now. My Minstrel who has some pretty good gear was killed repeatedly with no more than three hits from the first group of drakes that attack. Twice I was killed with a single hit.

Quote Originally Posted by nonamebrand View Post
    I can confirm that chapter 8.7 is not doable right now. My Minstrel who has some pretty good gear was killed repeatedly with no more than three hits from the first group of drakes that attack. Twice I was killed with a single hit.
    This might be class/gear dependent - I've done this quest recently (post last patch) on my 120 hunter and did not die once. I was severely wounded yes, but I managed. So, it is doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Umpbear View Post
    This might be class/gear dependent - I've done this quest recently (post last patch) on my 120 hunter and did not die once. I was severely wounded yes, but I managed. So, it is doable.
    So I guess Minstrels and a few other classes are SOL for being able to complete this.

Nice design SSG. I came back to playing this game a couple weeks ago after taking a year off because of all the problems. What I returned to was even worse than a year ago. Bugs everywhere. Quests that are impossible to finish (on certain classes) and even more crashing than last year. The client has crashed a total of 57 times for me over the past couple weeks on a fresh install of the game! I guess there is no point in playing or trying to get my friends to come back since it appear quite obvious no one is working on fixing this game anymore.

Oh well, see ya again next year for my annual LOTRO disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbit1968 View Post
    I'm a level 119 Guardian. I'm suited up pretty well too. As I start this instance, 8.7 The First Promise, and run down the stairs to help defend the castle from drakes, I die. Over and over. I run up the stairs, down the stairs...and die. I keep getting killed by small drakes. I usually have no issues killing these. Even if its 3 at a time. But I'm getting wiped out by 1 and 2. and real fast. Maybe 3 hits and I'm dead. There seems to be an issue that these drakes in this instance are hitting way too hard. And after being killed 6+ times, I just cant go on any longer with this quest. Can someone please look into this?
    Thanks.
    was having the same problem when i 1st tried with my champion at lvl 118
    my build was not from raid but thorin's lvl115 armour set from erebor tho powered up with gold essences lvl 10
    tried again at lvl 120 after having done all quests n instances wearing the simple dwarf style armour from the quests
    i manage to do it with no big problems!
    20 years lotr enthousiast, 11 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

That instance was very manageable at first. My Warden probably did it on like 4th day after U23 came out. No problem. Then all the messinf around started, updates for upper levels turning mid-level players into gods, updates for lower levels turning upper level mobs into t2c versions and so on. Heck after 23.1.2 in Withered Heath, a single frost grim (non-sig) would eat through my 140k+ morale with 80k resistance and 32% tac mit in seconds with repeated 28k hits. I pretty much had my NS trigger on every one-on-one grim fight.
    It looks like now we got same mess but with bleeds. If I recall right, the small drakes in that instance got the same effect as those in TG solo instance. But there you got a bunch of supercharged dwarfs for company. Even then, those aura fields were nasty.

I wonder if I can replay that instance via reflecting pool to see how it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorikon View Post
    I did this instance two weeks ago on my champ, didn't have trouble.
    BUT
    There are reports in the general forums that certain dots/bleeds do way too much damage after update 23.1.4. If the dragon's aura is doing all that nasty damage, maybe it is due to that bug? The damage didn't seem to bee an issue before (this thread pops up two days after 23.1.4).

Vastin is aware, hopefully this will be fixed next week or so.

*edit* linked this thread here, because Vastin asked for examples:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...s-off-the-hook

Vastin is aware but there are a lot of players here on the forum applauding these dots. They really think players will stick around and l2p through this mess.

Finished second try

After being ganked the first time and reading this thread, I was able to cruise thru the second time. I figured out the best way to help Durin is to not help Durin. I let him fight his own battles and he handled himself well. As soon as the instance starts, I ran to the ballistas, drawing one young drake. I killed him and waited. Durin came up and then went back down for more fighting. I followed about 30 yards behind. He killed young drakes and worms. The boss showed up, said a few words and left. I had barely a scratch. This was on a 120 hunter.

Hmm, just re-ran the instance on my Warden, quite trivial. But I am 120 with pretty much all gear at 370-374, t12 essences and 380 shield. Pretty much did all fighting myself, and yeah, I saw those rapid 3k+ hits coming in, but never dropped under 100k (from 145k). 25% resist, unbuffed mits 47% phys/32% tac . I can see how this can be a rather nasty encounter for sub-120s...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast