We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question Concerned about banned for "hacking" in Linux

Hi,

I run LOTRO in Linux using WINE. This works fine, but you are restricted to DirectX 9 version. A new technology called "DXVK" has stormed the Linux world, and allowed us to play games that require DirectX 10/11/12. It works great and Linux users are now able to play hundreds of Windows games that they weren't able to previously.

But here is where it gets tricky...this new technology comes in the form of modified DirectX library files (DLLs). Many games check for these DirectX libraries to make sure they haven't been modified, as this is one way to "cheat" in some games. Some Linux users have already been banned from other games (Overwatch is one example) for using this DXVK technology to play Windows titles that were previously unavailable.

This isn't a huge issue for LOTRO, because we can just use DirectX 9. But DirectX 11 looks a whole lot nicer, and it would be cool to be able to use DirectX 11 mode while playing from Linux.

This question is really only for SSG employees: do you guys check DirectX files to make sure noone is using edited versions? Can I use this DXVK technology for LOTRO so I can get the nice rendering in DirectX 11 mode for LOTRO? Is there a chance I could be banned for "cheating"? This game is far too important to me to risk getting banned...I'm going to use DirectX 9 when I start playing on the new Legendary server just in case, but it would be nice to be able to use DirectX 11 mode.

Thanks, Merc

I was considering installing Mint on my storage drive, but I too would like to use DX11, so please answer us devs!
    :: Rosewillow Noakes - Bilbo Baggins Fangirl - Landroval ::
    :: Rosequartz Tunnelly - Aspiring Talespinner - Landroval ::

Please SSG, I have so much money (30,000+ LP) invested in this account, please answer my question
    about using Steam Play Proton / WINE+DXVK. Can we use this technology or do you scan for
    DirectX modification/corruption and players?

It occurs to me that you could make a separate account, play for a while using the Linux fixes for dx12 and see if you get banned.
    :: Rosewillow Noakes - Bilbo Baggins Fangirl - Landroval ::
    :: Rosequartz Tunnelly - Aspiring Talespinner - Landroval ::

I did play...

I did play for a few hours, no ban. But that doesnt mean much...