We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Lightbulb Fireflies waves during nightime

Not the huge ones fantasy kind that we sometimes fight, but tiny inoffensive shiny spots that hover near the ground at the woodland areas during night time. Will be some new special effect linked to day/nigh LOTRO circles. Most now day people have never seeing this beautiful natural phenomena, & may never see it as most woodlands are gone. When i was a kid, it was something to behold & families will go out at night to catch fireflies for bit to later release them unharmed. LOTRO already have the little fireflies in a jar but that is nothing compared with seeing a huge gattering of fireflies lightning in waves at the forest. Will be awesome that LOTRO gives a taste of this image to the future generations.

~ Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth ~

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    Not the huge ones fantasy kind that we sometimes fight, but tiny inoffensive shiny spots that hover near the ground at the woodland areas during night time. Will be some new special effect linked to day/night LOTRO circles. Most now day people have never seeing this beautiful natural phenomena,
    I saw fireflies once in my life, in western Pennsylvania when I went to Pennsic. We don't *have* fireflies in California.

Unless you count the artificial ones produced by stringing white LEDs all over the trees in Disneyland.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    I saw fireflies once in my life, in western Pennsylvania when I went to Pennsic. We don't *have* fireflies in California.

Unless you count the artificial ones produced by stringing white LEDs all over the trees in Disneyland.
    That is precisely what i mean fireflies in nature IRL have never being seeing by most people of this generation & may be extinct before the next generation get a chance to see them. Artificial light bulbs at the cities pale in comparizon.

But this game may at least give a bit of taste to them with the fireflies wonderful spectacle. The best part is that it is in line with the hobbit spirit. Since they live in rural areas & catch them it is rare that we don't see them in the night at any woodland but specially at the Shire woodlands. No lore braking will happen with the fireflies waves, & fireflies already have being introduced to LOTRO in other ways.

For those who wonder about what i talk, here it is a video of 1 of the few places in the world where this can still be seeing :

Still plenty of them where I live. I don't remember seeing waves of flashes though.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by cdq1958 View Post
    Still plenty of them where I live. I don't remember seeing waves of flashes though.
    They do that later at night, not when the sun 1s barely down. 1 turn in the light then 6 directly beside the 1 reply with a ligh the the ones besided thoses 2nds & so it keep going & when it is dark enough you see nothing in the woodland but this packed waves of lights.

I grew up with fireflies, though there aren't any where I live now. They are beautiful.
    Lonely Mountain Meercats, On Crickhollow:
    Wenslydale (Hobbit Burglar), Leolwyn (Woman Hunter), Naniavas (Elf Loremaster), Chalcedonay (Hobbit Warden), Aradeith (Beorning), Gydis (Dwarf Runekeeper)

Not the huge ones fantasy kind that we sometimes fight, but tiny inoffensive shiny spots that hover near the ground at the woodland areas during night time.
    Should be glow-worms rather than fireflies, I think

They do that later at night, not when the sun 1s barely down. 1 turn in the light then 6 directly beside the 1 reply with a ligh the the ones besided thoses 2nds & so it keep going & when it is dark enough you see nothing in the woodland but this packed waves of lights.
    Again, not so much where I live. Here, they are very active and the flashes are fairly constant. When I was a young whippersnapper, it never got so dark in the woods that I couldn't see, so long as the sky wasn't too cloudy. On those nights, the flies were not as active.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    \
    Glow-worms are the fireflies juvenile form. Both the adults & the juveniles produce light but for different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by cdq1958 View Post
    Again, not so much where I live. Here, they are very active and the flashes are fairly constant. When I was a young whippersnapper, it never got so dark in the woods that I couldn't see, so long as the sky wasn't too cloudy. On those nights, the flies were not as active.
    Not all places have that many artificial light pollution even now days, that nights don't get trully dark. That or when i was a kid was on a era before yours when there was a lot less artificial illumination at the forest.

Glow-worms are the fireflies juvenile form. Both the adults & the juveniles produce light but for different reasons.
    There are umpteen species of fireflies worldwide so I don't know, in some places that might be the case but the common European glow-worm is actually called that, juvenile or adult, no difference. I mention that because just as the game includes some distinctively European-looking critters (badgers, for instance), if anything should be out at night glowing in the Shire, for example, it ought to be glow-worms rather than what Americans would instantly think of as fireflies. It's like when Disney stuck what were obviously meant to be American-style fireflies into their version of on Robin Hood and even as a kid I knew that was wrong. Funny, that, you turn a blind eye to all the cartoon anthropomorphism, American accents and whatnot because it's a fun movie but the instant those fireflies show up, you know you're not in Sherwood any more.

There are umpteen species of fireflies worldwide so I don't know, in some places that might be the case but the common European glow-worm is actually called that, juvenile or adult, no difference. I mention that because just as the game includes some distinctively European-looking critters (badgers, for instance), if anything should be out at night glowing in the Shire, for example, it ought to be glow-worms rather than what Americans would instantly think of as fireflies. It's like when Disney stuck what were obviously meant to be American-style fireflies into their version of on Robin Hood and even as a kid I knew that was wrong. Funny, that, you turn a blind eye to all the cartoon anthropomorphism, American accents and whatnot because it's a fun movie but the instant those fireflies show up, you know you're not in Sherwood any more.
    I am pretty sure that we are talking about LOTRO, NOT about Robin Hood or Disney so you are just derailing the conversation.

& while there might by 1k species of fireflies in the planet, not only Europe or America, they are look alike to because they are all beattles & closely related. Also at no moment i suggested to do a bug that looks scientifically correct so that part you wrote is also derailing.

***What i suggested is to get the light waves effect that resembles what fireflies do at night & that is all about it.***

I am pretty sure that we are talking about LOTRO, NOT about Robin Hood or Disney so you are just derailing the conversation.
    Err, hello: where is Sherwood Forest? Central England. What's the Shire and its surroundings meant to look like? Central England (that's literally how Tolkien imagined it, although idealised of course). So fireflies (or stuff that looks like fireflies) that looked oddly out of place in that Robin Hood movie would look equally out of place in or around the Shire, too. If you're going to talk about "the hobbit spirit" then at least try to understand what that means first.

& while there might by 1k species of fireflies in the planet, not only Europe or America, they are look alike to because they are all beattles & closely related. Also at no moment i suggested to do a bug that looks scientifically correct so that part you wrote is also derailing.
    And it didn't occur to you that with that many species there'd be some variation in how they look and behave? No, they're not all the same. Plus LOTRO features various quite real critters (foxes, badgers and so on) and bothered to make them look the part so why should we have fireflies like they have in Tennessee?

Maybe the glow worms can jump from tree to tree to give the flying effect that Yamy is suggesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin2099 View Post
    Maybe the glow worms can jump from tree to tree to give the flying effect that Yamy is suggesting.
    They don't jump about, the female glow-worms climb a grass stalk or whatever and just sit there, glowing, hoping to attract a mate. Point is, you get a whole bunch of them doing that at once and it looks like the place is strewn with little green stars. They don't need to flit about or blink on and off to be pretty.

That is precisely what i mean fireflies in nature IRL have never being seeing by most people of this generation & may be extinct before the next generation get a chance to see them. Artificial light bulbs at the cities pale in comparizon.
    It's got nothing to do with my generation. There were all generations at Pennsic, from grizzled elders* to babes in arms. It's a matter of geography. A quick google tells me, "In the U.S., almost no species of fireflies are found west of Kansas—although there are also warm and humid areas to the west. Nobody is sure why this is."

My guess would be that there's a great huge range of Rocky Mountains in the way, and if you get past those, there's hundreds of miles of near-desert, and after that the smaller but still-impressive Sierra Nevada.

But they are pretty, and I see no reason not to have them in Middle-earth. (Though another google tells me there appear to be none in England.)
    _____
    *Some of whom are known as "dinosaurs," because they attended the first tournament in May 1966.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post

But they are pretty, and I see no reason not to have them in Middle-earth. (Though another google tells me there appear to be none in England.)
    I see no reason to not have them in the Shire since there already are fireflies in the Shire Well, sort of:

A jar of fireflies can be bought in the Mathom House in Michel Delving

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Ite...r%3A_Fireflies

I don't think we have any fireflies where I live. I've never seen any, and I've never ever heard anyone mention having seen any. I love coming across them in games, they really make the night magical
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb