We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    653

    Experience Point Progression on Legendary Server

    Now that it is announced for Thursday do we have a definitive answer as to whether it will have a different progression curve? I know it is basically just another live server with a lower level-cap but SSG did say in other threads that they were considering slowing progression on the new server.


    For that matter are there *any* other changes? Such as limiting riding to level 20 and up. I don't expect that and am not arguing for that just curious if the new server will be *exactly* the same as the old ones other than the level-cap being 50 and no access to new areas and items/abilities tied to the new areas and higher levels as announced in the FAQ.

    This question is limited to how it will work on Thursday I understand that they may tweek many things down the road.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    250
    Yes, you will gain XP on the Legendary server at a slightly different rate. The goal is to make sure you don't outlevel quests in a given zone too easily, but that progress through the game also isn't cumbersome.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    653
    Very fast reply to the question - thank you (and I heartily approve of having slower progression).

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by DrOctothorpe View Post
    Yes, you will gain XP on the Legendary server at a slightly different rate. The goal is to make sure you don't outlevel quests in a given zone too easily, but that progress through the game also isn't cumbersome.
    Any chance this change will also make it to the live servers if feedback on LS is positive?

    This is a huge, well-known and often-discussed problem on all of the live servers as well which I would really see as a "balancing bug fix" rather than an "extra service".

    Also, I could imagine server management would be slightly easier for you if all servers had the same XP rate?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    24
    Ugh. Sad for all the groupers who just want to get to cap and have a chance to raid/fellow at the legendary lower level caps. Guess we'll get to have fun grinding out every boring quest and region that we've done a million times. Well done :thumbsup:

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelind View Post
    Ugh. Sad for all the groupers who just want to get to cap and have a chance to raid/fellow at the legendary lower level caps. Guess we'll get to have fun grinding out every boring quest and region that we've done a million times. Well done :thumbsup:

    There are instances as of lvl 20.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigolas View Post
    Any chance this change will also make it to the live servers if feedback on LS is positive?

    This is a huge, well-known and often-discussed problem on all of the live servers as well which I would really see as a "balancing bug fix" rather than an "extra service".

    Also, I could imagine server management would be slightly easier for you if all servers had the same XP rate?

    Stone of the tortoise. That leaves the choice with the players.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    The City of Light
    Posts
    642
    If it's a (de)buff like the Welcome Back Weekend, like Cord suggested, I suggest we call it Legendary Fatigue and add a tooltip, "Bwahahaha... Welcome to the LS, suckers! You know you can lift this penalty by purchasing XP tomes from our cash shop, right?" Blizzcon comes to mind where they asked the "booing" crowd, "Do you guys not have phones? Hahahah..."

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by wispsong View Post
    Stone of the tortoise. That leaves the choice with the players.

    Right. And does not enforce one playstyle on others that do not want it.

    Edit:

    @ Devs: read a short notice about other restrictions on the Legendary Server to prevent people from getting to regions they do not belong (yet). Is the level gating of the Belfalas housing instance exits one of them? Guess the roleplayers on the other servers would like an answer, too: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-level-capping
    Last edited by Derquin; Nov 05 2018 at 02:33 PM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigolas View Post
    Any chance this change will also make it to the live servers if feedback on LS is positive?

    This is a huge, well-known and often-discussed problem on all of the live servers as well which I would really see as a "balancing bug fix" rather than an "extra service".

    Also, I could imagine server management would be slightly easier for you if all servers had the same XP rate?
    One of the craziest criticisms of the new server, to me at least, is that the xp gain will be slower. You can blow through content without finishing zones and without visiting all the on-level zones right now, and people are complaining that slower xp gain here is a bad thing?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    The City of Light
    Posts
    642
    Quote Originally Posted by LulaMae View Post
    One of the craziest criticisms of the new server, to me at least, is that the xp gain will be slower. You can blow through content without finishing zones and without visiting all the on-level zones right now, and people are complaining that slower xp gain here is a bad thing?
    Crazy, right? I guess it's true what they say, you can't please everyone by lowering their XP and making more grind.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by wispsong View Post
    Stone of the tortoise. That leaves the choice with the players.
    Three things:
    1) It costs LPs
    2) It's only per character
    3) You can't use a pocket item if you slot this

    I have used it with every tune due to it being far too easy to outlevel an area if you do all the quest lines. On another note, I wish it didn't take up a pocket slot. Cordovan has said on many many occasions that there are no plans to change that sadly, and I can't understand why that is.
    Gwinthilnel: Elleth Hunter lvl 120~~~Hadniel: Woman Minstrel lvl 115~~~Gwynduilas: High Elleth Captain lvl 62 ~~~Gwindethen: Elleth Runekeeper lvl 28
    Kin: Defiance
    Evernight

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    The City of Light
    Posts
    642
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwinthilnel View Post
    Three things:
    1) It costs LPs
    2) It's only per character
    3) You can't use a pocket item if you slot this

    I have used it with every tune due to it being far too easy to outlevel an area if you do all the quest lines. On another note, I wish it didn't take up a pocket slot. Cordovan has said on many many occasions that there are no plans to change that sadly, and I can't understand why that is.
    If you wanna do this on the LS, you'll still have to get the stone. They said it's slightly lowered XP. So it really does nothing other than annoying a lot of people who don't want it. It's literally only made to annoy people who are tempted to buy XP boosters anyway. Now they will need more.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by DrOctothorpe View Post
    Yes, you will gain XP on the Legendary server at a slightly different rate. The goal is to make sure you don't outlevel quests in a given zone too easily, but that progress through the game also isn't cumbersome.
    Very nice! Hoping it's at least 100% slower.
    Baellor, Ark : Not all those who wander are lost :

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwinthilnel View Post
    Three things:
    1) It costs LPs
    2) It's only per character
    3) You can't use a pocket item if you slot this

    I have used it with every tune due to it being far too easy to outlevel an area if you do all the quest lines. On another note, I wish it didn't take up a pocket slot. Cordovan has said on many many occasions that there are no plans to change that sadly, and I can't understand why that is.
    1. Its cheaper than paying to sub to do the content again
    2. Still cheaper
    3. Really does not matter as most people slot the 25% Monster XP stone in their pockets anyway and the loss of a whole 10 points (at lvl 50) to a stat will not hurt you because of how bad stats are in the game. Heck there are videos of a champ going to like lvl 40 with the starter zone armor and weapons and autoattacking everything out there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joetzim View Post
    If it's a (de)buff like the Welcome Back Weekend, like Cord suggested, I suggest we call it Legendary Fatigue and add a tooltip, "Bwahahaha... Welcome to the LS, suckers! You know you can lift this penalty by purchasing XP tomes from our cash shop, right?" Blizzcon comes to mind where they asked the "booing" crowd, "Do you guys not have phones? Hahahah..."
    Truth

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelind View Post
    Ugh. Sad for all the groupers who just want to get to cap and have a chance to raid/fellow at the legendary lower level caps. Guess we'll get to have fun grinding out every boring quest and region that we've done a million times. Well done :thumbsup:
    Nah, they want you to buy the 100% and 200% XP tomes in the store.

    What a joke

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Joetzim View Post
    If you wanna do this on the LS, you'll still have to get the stone. They said it's slightly lowered XP. So it really does nothing other than annoying a lot of people who don't want it. It's literally only made to annoy people who are tempted to buy XP boosters anyway. Now they will need more.
    Eh lets try to strike some balance here. We don't need to whiplash from one end of the spectrum to the other.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    653
    You can get to 50 in a few days. Go all out and make a race of it less than that. Slowing it down by an unspecified but surely not too large percentage shouldn't actually "annoy" anyone but those with a maxed out annoyance attribute.

    As noted earlier in the thread, you can do skirmishes and other instances at level 20. So even if you hate, abhor and despise quests you can start these in hours /played and any experience debuff adds *minutes* to the process of getting to level 20.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by istvana View Post
    You can get to 50 in a few days. Go all out and make a race of it less than that. Slowing it down by an unspecified but surely not too large percentage shouldn't actually "annoy" anyone but those with a maxed out annoyance attribute.

    As noted earlier in the thread, you can do skirmishes and other instances at level 20. So even if you hate, abhor and despise quests you can start these in hours /played and any experience debuff adds *minutes* to the process of getting to level 20.
    There won't be any skirmishes on the legendary server until Moria opens up, if it gets that far.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Frace View Post
    There won't be any skirmishes on the legendary server until Moria opens up, if it gets that far.
    The relevant section of the FAQ:

    Can I play instances and skirmishes on the Legendary server?

    Traditional and scaling instances appropriate to the Shadows of Angmar story and available at or below level 50 will be open on the Legendary server immediately. Skirmishes and instances designed to play above level 50 will not be available on the Legendary server until the story advances.
    I read it to include some skirmishes in the "scaling instances" part. No Moria or beyond skirmishes but presumably Attack on the Prancing Pony, Tuckborough, Bruinen, etc will be available at the appropriate levels. I guess we will find out on Thursday or Friday.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by Frace View Post
    There won't be any skirmishes on the legendary server until Moria opens up, if it gets that far.
    There will be skirmishes, and it will get to Moria, and further!
    Baellor, Ark : Not all those who wander are lost :

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by wispsong View Post
    Stone of the tortoise. That leaves the choice with the players.
    By the same reasoning, the legendary server - where players have no choice but to stop at 50 - doesn't need to do that at all. Players can just use the stone to stop at 50 if they want to. (Of course, that would make the legendary server no different to any other.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Derquin View Post
    Right. And does not enforce one playstyle on others that do not want it.
    I missed the part where playing on the legendary server was going to be compulsory.

    It's really quite bizarre - and very selfish - that so many posters argue against almost any suggested difference between live and the legendary server.

    I'd like the store to be completely disabled on the legendary server. I can guarantee someone would even argue against that. "You don't have to use the store if you don't want to" ... "Leave the choice with the players"

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohemond71 View Post
    By the same reasoning, the legendary server - where players have no choice but to stop at 50 - doesn't need to do that at all. Players can just use the stone to stop at 50 if they want to. (Of course, that would make the legendary server no different to any other.)



    I missed the part where playing on the legendary server was going to be compulsory.

    It's really quite bizarre - and very selfish - that so many posters argue against almost any suggested difference between live and the legendary server.

    I'd like the store to be completely disabled on the legendary server. I can guarantee someone would even argue against that. "You don't have to use the store if you don't want to" ... "Leave the choice with the players"
    The more different the legendary server is, the better. I just don't want changes like slower xp spilling over to live.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Albany New York
    Posts
    786
    You know what's wrong with letting people choose on their own?

    It is logical, in view of the times in which we live. But to be logical is not to be right, and nothing on God's earth could ever make it right!
    - Judge Dan Haywood

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    The City of Light
    Posts
    642
    Quote Originally Posted by JyiigaQuinn View Post
    Eh lets try to strike some balance here. We don't need to whiplash from one end of the spectrum to the other.

    "The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted."

    True enough, pal. I should be ashamed of myself for still being attached to this game. At least, I'm not lining up to be milked like all the others.

    People who want to "experience every quest in the game" are perfectly capable of doing so on any other server. Why come to the LS if you are gonna miss out on the endgame feel because you are too busy "experiencing every quest in the game" alone. Guys, you don't even have the slightest clue what this is about, but you feel entitled to making the server grindier for those who want to play it as intended. The only purpose of this server is to play through the many eras/endgames of the game in a like-minded community. If you don't get that, you don't even belong here.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Middle-earth
    Posts
    1,800

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Derquin View Post
    ...Right. And does not enforce one playstyle on others that do not want it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohemond71 View Post
    ...I missed the part where playing on the legendary server was going to be compulsory.

    It's really quite bizarre - and very selfish - that so many posters argue against almost any suggested difference between live and the legendary server...
    And now it's started. To please some that have requested changes to the Legendary Servers, virtues are now being changed across the board to affect all servers. Even if that specific change might not be considered a "bad" change by some, it still sets a bad precedent for how The Legendary Server will affect everyone moving forward.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload