We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigolas View Post
    @Hyruule: Agree with everything, although I would phrase it a bit harder.

This, in all honesty, is the worst excuse not to document changes ever. To me, it leaves the impression that you run these automated tools over the landscape in a fire-and-forget manner, not even checking afterwards what has been altered.

This should not be the job of players on the live servers, this should be the job of your QA. If you use automatic tools to replace the landscape, you then need to go through it step by step to make sure there are no issues. Another option would be to do all the changes by hand in the first place. Yes, both of these options take time and resources. This is what your paying customers expect you to do.

(Again, with an entry in the change log, at least beta users were encouraged to take a closer look. Does not replace internal testing, but would make things better.)

Therefore, I add my approval to this bug list.
    Don't worry, I have a pretty sharp tongue, but in this case there wasn't much to work with.

SSG has a known issues list for new patches which is suspiciously small every time.

There was a picture on the forum about North Downs completely missing textures in a few spots, which heavily implies that an automated tool was being used, as otherwise a normal person would've and should've noticed that.

SSG's QA mostly exists in name only, as you can't make me believe that they actually test what they develop, judging by the countless bugs everywhere. And even if a customer would report a bug, the changes of it being recognized + being fixed is almost as slim as winning in a lottery.

It takes time, resources and skills, and SSG apparently has no skills left in their crew that already butchered the game under the Turbine banner.

The sad thing is that people like us serve a software company our concerns and identified bugs/issues on a silver platter, and all you're getting in return is the silent treatment combined with decision that have you question their sanity and common sense.

Maybe we just have high standards and a strong sense of integrity, because SSG on the other end of the spectrum has none of that.
    Last edited by Hyruule; Nov 10 2018 at 06:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyruule View Post
    I completely agree again. Everything you say is, sadly, so true.

And until this changes, I will still play (on and off), but I will no longer pay. This is the only way left we can really bring in our voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyruule View Post
    If you're against a detailed changelog to not spoil the search for those changes, why not give a general direction of region + POI, e.g. "North Downs: Fields of Fornost now really looks haunted and slightly oppressing" or something like that: your desire for discovery remains intact and I have a general direction of where to look for those changes.
    /signed
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

Lightbulb

While I do think the "surprise" factor is fun, at the same time I would have liked to have taken screenshots prior to the changes. Knowing where they were to take place and then be bale to have before and after screenshots. With time make a video or gallery showing the changes made. I like those types of things. That can not be done unless You know before hand where specifically changes will take place.

A simple 'we made a few landscape design changes to zone X' would be all I'm asking for. Then I can enjoy both the exploration and the discovery of the changes. Too many details would ruin the exploration phase.
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

Quote Originally Posted by West-northwestook View Post
    Well, that certainly fits me, lol.

Scenario, are there easter eggs in the updated zones like the Michel Delving post office or the camp above Andrath, that haven't been found yet?

Not sure if easter egg or accident. I found a stone grumpy cat face in that dragon area of the iron-hills. (43.4N, 34.3W)

Quote Originally Posted by -Shade- View Post
    Not sure if easter egg or accident. I found a stone grumpy cat face in that dragon area of the iron-hills. (43.4N, 34.3W)
    A completely unintentional likeness - but funny none-the-less.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxmaiden14 View Post
    Since you're updating the landscape I would like to suggest perhaps helping that hobbit out of the hedge in the bree north gate, and letting Adso (I think) finish his in, as well as that house south of Bree fields?

I know it's telling a story, which is why something have never changed, but you did change some things since launch all those years ago.
    Also, help Bingo Boffin out.... after he "prepares for his swim" by running around, he stops in a newly added bush, making him more difficult to target. Either move the bush, or let Bingo end his warm-up on more open terrain!
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Sadly, we are still missing the road to the town of Stoneheight in the North Downs. https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...of-Stoneheight

Quote Originally Posted by Scenario View Post
    We have been going through and doing some work throughout the original areas of the game to try to bring them closer to our current standards of terrain. In some areas, this means a simple swap of terrain textures, others it might mean scene file work (trees, frills, rocks, etc) and others might get a more robust overhaul (such as mentioned about the Ram Duath).

We'll be continuing through Eriador, doing the work as we have time amidst other updates and new content releases.
    Could we please get wood resource nodes in Forochel.

There is plenty of wood everywhere in the Misty Mountains, so I don't see why there is absolutely nothing in Forochel, not even in wooded areas.

What has been done so far is mostly awesome.

Now, if only the client had way better memory management and better rendering and multi-threading to get rid of the constant stuttering, it would be even more awesome and enjoyable ;-)

Scenario, it's perfectly understandable to use automation to make changes to such a large area of land. It can be a very useful tool. But it has been repeatedly documented that this can have negative effects on gameplay and aesthetics. And there have been several instances where even hand-placed objects interfere with gameplay and players' preferences due to a lack of understanding on your part (and perhaps others) of certain areas and what can spawn or occur there for quests.

I don't know what your processes are, but they do not seem to include taking a player character through newly changed areas to inspect them carefully, or to cross-reference them with quests in that area, or checking the movements of NPCs, or horse stable paths. Whether this is an oversight on SSG's part or due to a lack of personnel and hours is unclear. But something needs to change.

Documenting updates on Bullroarer is one solution. People who install the Bullroarer client obviously don't mind surprises being spoiled. And there are players who are willing to do the legwork for a lot of this if given the chance. Players are a resource. You should utilize them, especially before updates are released to the live servers. If forum posts are too casual an environment, then provide a more official place for players to assist you. Expand the the Palantir Private Preview Program. Something. Anything. But submitting bug reports after adverse changes have gone live should not be the primary way of dealing with this.

The landscape revamp was initially met with hope and optimism, and several areas have been enhanced due to you labor, but over the course of several updates, it's clear that there have been detrimental changes as well, some of which go unaddressed. Don't let easily discovered and preventable issues overshadow the good work that you do.

I am madly in love with the new Old Forest (as it were).
    Lonely Mountain Meercats, On Crickhollow:
    Wenslydale (Hobbit Burglar), Leolwyn (Woman Hunter), Naniavas (Elf Loremaster), Chalcedoney (Hobbit Guardian), Aradeith (Beorning), Gydis (Dwarf Runekeeper)

Quote Originally Posted by Echoweaver View Post
    Aye, it's very well done. I also like the fog/mist addition to the Barrow Downs.... that was one of the first improvements they added to Eriador several years ago.

I am loving all of these small additions that keep popping up. The new shire is gorgeous with all the sun flowers everywhere, the old forest as you mentioned is really looking good (although I still get lost in it....), and apparently (I haven't seen them yet) there are some big improvements in Angmar on the horizon, as reported by Bullroarer testers!

There are quite a few new players that have come to the game with the legendary servers, and I often watch twitch streams of players on the legendary server, and although most of the streamers are RETURNING players, many of them have made remarks as to how well this game has held up graphically since its launch. They are of course limited to what the engine can do, but they can update the older zones to Dale-like qualities when it comes to the open world. I am very pleased to see them giving the older zones some love!

Keep it up!
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

/signed

In game bug reporting please as it used to be.

Weeding through all the character model issues, level issues, xp issues, gear issues and because of the explorer in me, I am actually having a good time re-visiting all the lands on the LS.
    I amar prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ned cae. A han noston ned gwilith.
    Palenen - Elendilmir - The royal gem of Arnor - "May you 'Jingle Jangle' into the West."

Quote Originally Posted by Echoweaver View Post
    I was worried when I first read that they update the OF, but I was so pleasantly rewarded when I got in there. Very well done. The programming techniques and tricks that have been learned over the course of the game's development history really allowed for a stellar revamp to the OF. While I liked the original OF it suffered from very artificial looking tree walls.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2