We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Are Shields used at all for Captains?

I'm a returning player looking to get started with a Captain on the Legacy server. I played one way back before Moria, so my knowledge on the Class is super dated and not accurate anymore.

Are Shields still something that a Captain would bother using? I had a look at the skill trees and I'm guessing it would only be used on the Healer one. I thought it was the Defender skill line was about two-handed tanking.
    Ridley - Captain
    Rooke - Burglar
    Grimbain - Champion
    Kinship - Wrath and Ruin

Absolutely. In blue line, shield gives a good boost to Might on which depends the power of your heals. Even better, current end-game captain shield has an outgoing healing bonus! And in yelow line, shield gives a good boost to your mitigations, critdef and block, which is always desirable.
    Kelewon, Brandywine

That's good to hear! Thanks for the response.
    Ridley - Captain
    Rooke - Burglar
    Grimbain - Champion
    Kinship - Wrath and Ruin

Another benefit of shields is that they give extra armour, and they allow you to block attacks even if you have been temporarily disarmed - which isn't the case when using 2h weapons.
    The stats provided by shields are also usually better than those provided by 2h Legendary weapons.

The only real downside of using a shield is that 1h weapons do less damage than 2h weapons - and since Captains have low dps even in the best of circumstances this can be a major downside for solo play.

Healing with a 1h weapon and shield is definitely a thing. The added survivability of equipping a shield helps tremendously.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light with numbers, that they may have from the past, or able to produce them?
    How much DPS do you actually loose? We know the skill damage output and critical range drop. But down the line, what quantities?
    My biggest concern for a one handed rotation: your skills execute faster, so there will be a moment that all skills are on cooldown.
    Perhaps this does allow us to merge in another less-frequent used skill in the rotation.

Perhaps we best compare two scenarios:

Two handed weapon with mostly support build.
    Identical one handed weapon of the same strength/age.

after all, I think the main incentive for having extra survivability by shield is for the purpose of being a more durable support player?

Things to track:
    DPS, and the comparison of damage contribution per skill.
    Fluidity of skills output (feeling).

Things to keep an eye on:
    Whether there is indeed room to toss in an extra skill in a rotation: inspire, muster courage, gallant display, or other relevant skill.
    Power household.

*side note, comparison is best performed removing the three trait points from the two handed weapon bonus.

Ideally, being a number geek, I would like to test them both for all three trait trees.