We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
    Foxmaiden14 Guest

Still Can't Select D3D 10 or 11

I've tried all the fixes, messed with the ini, tried graphic settings, tried installing the stuff Hurin (sp) mentioned in that guide. The 2010 installed failed with this message:

I have a computer that's running windows 10, up to date, capable of d3d 12... I even looked to see if the dll files were properly installed and they are.

Also tried running the game in compatibilty mode.

[11/02/18 16:47:00] module: dxupdate(Nov 19 2010), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 6637, function: CMDXInstall::Install

Failed API: InstallAssembly()
    Error: (0x80070005) - Access is denied.

Unable to install Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dl l.
    Last edited by Foxmaiden14; Nov 02 2018 at 11:15 PM.

Try downloading and installing the DirectX 9 Runtime (June 2010). Yes, it is DirectX 9. Yes, it is supposed to be installed for older games (Like LOTRO) on Windows 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=8109

Extract the files to a folder (name it Dx9 or something) and then run dxsetup.exe in there. (I think that's the filename)
    Chromite/Grumbletocks/Grumbletunes/Schrade on Landroval, Chromite on Arkenstone, Appendage on Brandywine

Quote Originally Posted by Foxmaiden14 View Post
    Access is denied.
    Sounds like a permissions issue.

Are you an administrator on the computer?

From command prompt, type: whoami

Right-click your Start Button, choose Computer Management, Expand out 'Local Users and Groups'-->'Groups', Double-click 'Administrators', check for that username under Administrators Group.

If you aren't listed in that group, that's likely your problem.

You could try right-clicking any installers (such as DirectX runtime installer) and choosing "Run as Administrator" but if you don't know the admin password, that won't get you far.

Finally, is this a fresh/clean install of Windows? Or has it been upgraded/migrated/shenanigan-ized. Generally, permissions issues like this can arise when file systems are moved from one computer to another instead of being properly installed from scratch.

--H
    Installing LotRO -- One Guide to Rule Them All!
    Purchasing LotRO -- Guide to Building Your Own "Lifetime" Account.
    DirectX / Direct3D Error Messages? -- Solution.

Foxmaiden14 Guest
    I'm always the admin on my computer, I never had problems like this with win7... but I got 10 with my computer so I didn't feel like reinstalling 7. >_>

I don't know why I would re-install d3 webinstaller though when I checked to see that I do have the needed ddl's in the wow64.

Just tried the the wedinstaller with run as admin out of curiosity and it failed again.
    Last edited by Foxmaiden14; Nov 03 2018 at 01:15 PM.

Foxmaiden14 Guest
    So... nothing on this then? I'm forced to play on dx9 forever because of old Turbine code?

So... nothing on this then? I'm forced to play on dx9 forever because of old Turbine code?
    Did you download and install the runtime package I linked? It's not the web installer.
    Chromite/Grumbletocks/Grumbletunes/Schrade on Landroval, Chromite on Arkenstone, Appendage on Brandywine

I tried both, neither worked. My system does have the appropriate dlls however.

Here's my system config:

AMD Radeon RX 560
    Supports Dx12
    AMD FX 6300 (6 frigging cores!)
    Windows 10 current upgrades
    Current drivers
    16 gigs of memory

Here's my dxdiag if it helps:

https://pastebin.com/e9dfben3
    :: Rosewillow Noakes - Bilbo Baggins Fangirl - Landroval ::
    :: Rosequartz Tunnelly - Aspiring Talespinner - Landroval ::

dx

Quote Originally Posted by KitsuneGirl View Post
    I tried both, neither worked. My system does have the appropriate dlls however.

Here's my system config:

AMD Radeon RX 560
    Supports Dx12
    AMD FX 6300 (6 frigging cores!)
    Windows 10 current upgrades
    Current drivers
    16 gigs of memory

Here's my dxdiag if it helps:

https://pastebin.com/e9dfben3

https://filehippo.com/download_directx/7003/

I know this isn't what you'll want to hear. . . but the "old code" isn't the problem here. There is apparently some other issue on your computer and nobody can easily figure that out from where we sit.

I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money that if I were to visit your computer, wipe its drive, install Windows from scratch, install drivers, and then install LotRO, it would work fine. Which raises the question, what is it about the current state of your computer that causes it not to work where all others tend to work (especially after the troubleshooting already performed).

As mentioned prior, the fact that you can't install the DirectX runtimes without an error message indicates a permissions (or some other) issue on your computer. Totally separate from LotRO.

Again, I'm not saying this to anger you or defend SSG. But if you keep approaching this issue as "SSG's fault" you're less likely to get anywhere than if you approach it from the "what's up with my computer that is making it behave so unlike others?" perspective.

If it were me, I'd be backing up my rig (twice) in preparation for an OS wipe. Sometimes, that's just the more efficient route to a fix instead of trying to find the needle in the haystack that's causing the abberant behavior.

But before that, I'd reinstall video card drivers.

--H

Related to above. . . if my rig wasn't able to install DirectX runtimes without permissions errors, I'd suspect some larger issue and I'm not a fan of changing permissions on system files (they shouldn't be tinkered with). . . so after backing up my system twice and putting those backups in a safe place. . . here's what I'd do. . . in video form!

Video from Paul's Hardware covering a lot of what you'll be doing. Two caveats:

1. If memory serves, he doesn't actually install Windows in UEFI mode (if given multiple options for booting, always try UEFI).
    2. He uses the downloads from his motherboard manufacturer's website. I prefer downloading setupchipset.exe from Intel directly, getting sound drivers from Realtek (etc.) rather than the usually outdated drivers on the motherboard manufacturer's website.

He even shows how to diskpart the drive to clean it completely. Though be careful. Don't actually clean/wipe the installer USB stick too!

--H

P.S. If LotRO still won't run properly after the above, then you do indeed have a legitimate beef with SSG.

I'll try not to sound defensive with this reply...

If I was just blaming SSG and not wondering whats up with my computer I would have given up a long time ago and huffed and continued to blame. But lets be real, the game is 11 years old (more so likely, considering initial development)... it's going to have issues.

I'll back up my computer, because I've been wondering why I have permission issues... I did get a malware that I had to burn out with fire and brimstone a couple weeks ago. So I think that might have buggered something up. :P

Also thank you for helping.

I'll try not to sound defensive with this reply...

If I was just blaming SSG and not wondering whats up with my computer I would have given up a long time ago and huffed and continued to blame. But lets be real, the game is 11 years old (more so likely, considering initial development)... it's going to have issues.

I'll back up my computer, because I've been wondering why I have permission issues... I did get a malware that I had to burn out with fire and brimstone a couple weeks ago. So I think that might have buggered something up. :P

Also thank you for helping.
    Well, that went better than expected!

Thank you for this even-tempered and thoughtful response to a post that probably wasn't what you wanted to hear. Really appreciated.

Good luck and please do let us know how it turns out!

--H

My pc is a desktop, do I really need realtek drivers since AMD gives me the drivers?

Ugh... still no Dx11

Fresh install, downloaded the drivers off amd, didn't tinker with the system except to uninstall those store apps. And still can't install that dx9 files.

Code:
    [11/06/18 13:22:07] module: dxupdate(Feb  4 2010), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 6624, function: CMDXInstall::Install

Failed API:		InstallAssembly()
        Error:		(0x80070005) - Access is denied.

Unable to install Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll.
    Could it be because this is the Home edition? Maybe the game just doesn't like my graphics card.

Ok, so I even tried the game with my nvdia gtx 750 (out of curiosity), still no dx11.

There's something wrong with either the games detection, or horrible windows 10.
    Last edited by KitsuneGirl; Nov 06 2018 at 04:37 PM.

So odd. . .

What is your installation media source? Is it the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool?

I trust you're not restoring a backup of Windows.

Yes, I'd install the realtek drivers even if they won't be used. If you truly don't need it and don't want to install drivers, try to disable the device in your BIOS/UEFI.

After a fresh install of Windows, this procedure will definitely be necessary.

But at this point, my biggest question is what media source you used for Windows install. Because now your situation is getting very, very odd.

--H

I used the factory restore and just had it wipe the drive and install.

I uninstalled my nvidia drivers and tried the dx9 installer agan and it didn't give me an error... gonna put my newer card in and see if the game accepts that I have dx11 capability.

I used the factory restore and just had it wipe the drive and install.
    That is likely installing a system state image from the manfucturer. It's essentially like restoring a backup taken by the manufacturer before it left the factory. If they tweaked something that is causing this, it'll persist after factory restore.

If the problem persists, I'd do your own reinstall from scratch using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool (that will create a DVD from ISO, or a flash drive). The video I linked above walks you through a quick/easy way to wipe your existing drive(s). But set aside safe backups first!

Ok.. I'll do that tomorrow, I'm tired of messing with this lol.

My computer doesn't have a dvd drive bay for some bizarre reason, so I'll try from the usb.

FINALLY got DX11 working. Whatever Cyberpower did to the image file on the hard drive buggered it up real bad. Didn't get any errors installing DX9 either.

Thanks again for your help and patience! <3

Awesome! Thanks for the update. I was curious.