We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Returning Founder. What's a good solo class to level these days?

I've not played in so long I've forgotten exactly how long

My honest oinion, pick up the class you love/enjoy the most, and play it. Every class can perform solo content. Flavour of the month classes changes very often, and the end game, is actually a nightmare.

All classes can solo all content up to 120.

That said: Some classes are significantly SLOWER than others. Hunters kill extremely fast, Guardians kill fairly slow..... All other classes are somewhere in between.

At the end of the day though, just pick a class you LOVE to play! Some might take a bit longer to get there, but it's not about speed.... but about the enjoyment. Right?
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post

That said: Some classes are significantly SLOWER than others. Hunters kill extremely fast, Guardians kill fairly slow..... All other classes are somewhere in between.

At the end of the day though, just pick a class you LOVE to play! Some might take a bit longer to get there, but it's not about speed.... but about the enjoyment. Right?

Right

If memory servers, I enjoyed the Hunter and the Burglar.

I've just returned after about 7 years and decided to roll a Burglar from 1 again.

Seems the best way, even though I have a few 60's and a VIP account - here goes

Quote Originally Posted by randomeclipse View Post
    I've just returned after about 7 years and decided to roll a Burglar from 1 again.
    Welcome back to Middle-Earth!

Sergio :-)
    Moved from Riddermark to Landroval on 2/10/1015!

Quote Originally Posted by KrahjarnFellarrow View Post
    My honest oinion, pick up the class you love/enjoy the most, and play it. Every class can perform solo content. Flavour of the month classes changes very often, and the end game, is actually a nightmare.
    Pretty much all of this.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Welcome back Good solo classes (I have all, most of them on end level), in my opinion and from my experience, are hunter, burglar, minstrel and lore master. Hunter and minstrel was super fast to level.

just roll what you like, do everything, dont rust to lvl fast, end game is a bloody grinding nightmare aiming to turn you in a shop paying machine.......
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

I came back after being away for a little while. I have a Champion, Guardian and Warden.
    For me it was the Warden. Something about the attack combinations to unlock bigger attacks and having to remember what I had done and how the chains worked together. Made it a more enjoyable time for me. As Guard and Champ seemed ok and I did like playing them, they were more of a "once I got the rotation down, it was mash these buttons in this order" kind of play style.

I have tried hunters and LMs and other range DPS classes but just don't have as much fun with them. I think the guardian is still a bit slow leveling, but his survivability when He is sword and shield is pretty good. I've taken 4 or 5 mobs at a time (many times by mistake) and come out with little to no morale loss.

The easiest way to get back in the saddle is to roll a champion, IMHO the easiest class to play solo. A mini a little more understanding of your skills, but is almost impossible to kill. A bear is good fun, and well balanced. I prefer LM or RK, but play a little first, and get used to the game again, before doing these two.

This is just my opinion, others will give different answers.

I bring word from Lord Elrond of Rivendell. An Alliance once existed between Elves and Men. Long ago we fought and died together. We come to honor that allegiance.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post

I find that a guardian traited red tree, with lot of migh, agility, fate & critical ratting & using 2-hand weapon when solo questing, kills the enemies pretty fast.

~ Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth ~

Love the captain. Three distinct roles, for heal, DPS and tank, for loads of variety. I have a hunter, guardian, champion, minstrel and warden as well, but the captain rocks for me and he’s the one I have at highest level (currently in Rohan). He’s also great in a group as well.
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    Love the captain. Three distinct roles, for heal, DPS and tank, for loads of variety. I have a hunter, guardian, champion, minstrel and warden as well, but the captain rocks for me and he’s the one I have at highest level (currently in Rohan). He’s also great in a group as well.
    This is incorrect. Captains have two roles -- tank or buffbot. You aren't really a "DPS" class since even in red line your DPS is negligible. You're more like an actively played buffbot that's there to push a few buttons so other people can DPS better. As long as you're maintaining your buffs you could be AFK the rest of the time and it wouldn't make any difference. Pretty poor class design IMO.

And from everything I've seen blue captain might as well not even exist.

I am very new to this game but have heard alot about it. what class should i start playing from being a beginner like in this source and what suggestions would be give me to start with the game?
    Last edited by elsablack005; Jan 23 2019 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by elsablack005 View Post
    I am very new to this game but have heard alot about it. what class should i start playing from being a beginner and what suggestions would be give me to start with the game?

Welcome to LOTRO!

The easiest and most conventient class for a beginner is probably Hunter. You can kill enemies fairly quickly at range and it's easy to figure out how to handle 2 or 3 at a time. Hunters get an out of combat movement buff that saves you a bit of time when running from A to B. Also get a bunch of porting skills for fast travel to several main locations.

If you want to get into the crafting aspect of LOTRO then pick the Explorer vocation (Forester, Prospector, and Tailor professions) for your Hunter. You'll be able to gather hides (from kills), logs, and ore and process them into leather, boards, and ingots. You can make your own armor with the leather and provide processed ingredients for others to make you weapons and jewelry.

You can create some additional characters and have them just be crafters. One takes the Armsman vocation and makes your weapons using boards and ingots produced by your Explorer. The second takes Tinker and makes jewelry for you. These character can just remain in a good location, like the Bree crafting hall, and do nothing but craft. Over time they will level up quite a bit just from crafting.

Play for free until at least level 20. Sometime after 20 you should spend the money for one month of VIP. There are a large number of benefits that get unlocked permanently when a character logs in while VIP is active. You can purchase these benefits for each character from the in-game store, but the cost of them for a single character is greater than the price of 1 month VIP, so more effective to subsscribe. When you do this, make sure you log in every character that you have and even create more to fill up empty slots. If you ever play any of those chars in the future, they'll have the VIP perks.

Hope this helps. Have fun!
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Nosdracir, I just gotta say, your Sara Oakheart quote made me LOL! Thanks for the laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Antitheist View Post
    This is incorrect. Captains have two roles -- tank or buffbot. You aren't really a "DPS" class since even in red line your DPS is negligible. You're more like an actively played buffbot that's there to push a few buttons so other people can DPS better. As long as you're maintaining your buffs you could be AFK the rest of the time and it wouldn't make any difference. Pretty poor class design IMO.

And from everything I've seen blue captain might as well not even exist.
    Works for me
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

I'm returning also, have not done VIP yet, seeing how I like it, but have to say, this is such a peaceful game, or maybe its cause I am in the Shire.

No idea what is good or not, but I am playing a hobbit guardian on Landroval, named Fhynadoc.

Hopefully will find a nice kinship to join eventually.

I actually started yesterday with a dwarf guardian, but just love the hobbits, so switched this morning.

On the plus side, I stumbled upon Winterstock, so that was fun to sit and dance and watch for awhile inbetween questing.