We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Player Music Sound Quality / MIDI Soundfonts

I have tried to replace the standard Windows GS Wavetable with a virtual synthesizer using VirtualMIDISynth (https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth) and MIDI Mapper (https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/midimapper). However it doesn't seem to be working.

Here are some questions that I hope someone can answer that might clarify things for me:

1. Has someone written a guide on how to improve sound quality of the player instruments on the client-side?

2. Is LotRO hard coded to only use the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth?

3. Does anyone have a list of what MIDI instruments are being used by each musical instrument in the game? For example, when I play a pigborn, what what MIDI instrument is LotRO telling the MIDI synth to play?

Hello,

1. Has someone written a guide on how to improve sound quality of the player instruments on the client-side ?
    You can't.
    You can only improve your own sound with settings on your soundcard, settings to improve volume and sound (High/Low bypass, +/- some sound filters).

Not exactly, LOTRO sounds are .wav files, included in game files.

You can extract them and make your own soundfont file with LOTRO sounds. Music community are using Maestro, midi to abc file converter, which uses LOTROinstruments.sf2 wav soundfonts file. Sounds were extracted from LOTRO binaries.
    Link to Maestro : Maestro

3. Does anyone have a list of what MIDI instruments are being used by each musical instrument in the game? For example, when I play a pigborn, what what MIDI instrument is LotRO telling the MIDI synth to play?

Here is how Maestro is using soundfonts, named LOTROinstruments.sf2, instruments are assigned as following :

Lute of Ages : MIDI Instrument : 24
    Basic Lute : MIDI Instrument : 25
    Misty Mountain Harp : MIDI Instrument : 27
    Theorbo : MIDI Instrument : 32
    Bardic Fiddle : MIDI Instrument : 40
    Basic Fiddle : MIDI Instrument : 41
    Traveller's Trusty Fiddle : MIDI Instrument : 45
    Harp : MIDI Instrument : 46
    Lonely Mountain Fiddle : MIDI Instrument : 51
    Horn : MIDI Instrument : 69
    Clarinet : MIDI Instrument : 71
    Flute : MIDI Instrument : 73
    Pibgorn : MIDI Instrument : 84
    Bagpipe : MIDI Instrument : 109
    Sprightly Fiddle : MIDI Instrument : 110
    Moor Cowbell : MIDI Instrument : 114
    Cowbell : MIDI Instrument : 115
    Drums : MIDI Instrument : 0, bank 118
    Student's Fiddle : 120

Bassoons are coming soon.

Link to Viena for editing soundfonts : Viena

I presume you want assign a different soundfont to your VirtualMIDISynth to improve LOTRO music output.
    Alas, LOTRO sound output is NOT external and NOT from midi device. LOTRO sounds are from internal/Client .wav/.ogg sounds.

Hope this could help.

./toasts

Zed'

Quote Originally Posted by zedrock View Post
    Hello,

1. Has someone written a guide on how to improve sound quality of the player instruments on the client-side ?
    You can't.

Not exactly, LOTRO sounds are .wav files, included in game files.

Slight correction:

to 1.:

Technically it is possible. But you'd have to modify the game files and that would violate the agreements you have to accept before starting the game. So if you don't want to get banned, you have to live with the default sound quality of lotro.

2. Lotro does not use the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth at all, it uses it's own engine. At least the samples of the recent instrument additions are stored as .ogg files.
    Bruzo, Dwarrowdelf Minstrel ~ "A Rock & a Hard Place"

As far as I know (I think Cordovan mentioned this on one of his Twitch streams), for the Violin at least, they actually had someone come in and play Violin to record the Violin sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Altair6 View Post
    As far as I know (I think Cordovan mentioned this on one of his Twitch streams), for the Violin at least, they actually had someone come in and play Violin to record the Violin sounds.
    Well. I hope that that "someone" hasn't been in the game listening to those samples. Because technically the fiddles are the worst instruments I've heard yet (except for some B notes on the Basic Lute hmm). Maybe it also has to do with certain bands overusing the fiddles.

Back on topic. For your own listening experience in-game I'd recommend fair to good loudspeakers. Though headphones are great for detecting isolated sounds from an instrument they provide nothing in the middle; only left and right unless you use a cross-over plug-in. For previews like abc player, I think headphones are better in many situations.
    A proper soundcard with a proper driver may also help.
    Sev ... Member and founder of Instant Play. Concert every Monday 20.00-22.00 CET (14.00-16.00 server time) at West Bree stables on Gwaihir.
    Alles musik oder was!
    Instant Play YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Quasquid/featured