We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Slower levelling would hugely improve the experience as a whole in my opinion. The pacing of the game is going to be faster when there are 120 levels to get through, but when it's capped at the original 50, it should be slower to reflect that. As things stand people will not be able to complete zones without out levelling them.

With this in mind it's essential to remove XP boosts from the cash shop. Keeping them would ruin the spirit of a progression server, and since it requires a sub everyone's already paying for it.

My only concern is how this will affect those of us that can only play a couple of hours a day vs those that play all day, every day.
    If you slow it down too much, and don't offer accelerators in the store or somewhere, we are going to get left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We too have been considering the pace of leveling on the Legendary server, and would be curious to hear more about your thoughts on XP gain:

Would you like us to curb the amount of XP gained on the Legendary server, and what pace do you prefer?
    Hi Cord!
    For me I would prefer a slower exp rate for the LS overall (maybe about 25%-50% slower), would love for you guys to consider disabling the VIP resting exp, and perhaps disabling the crafting exp.
    I am a newcomer to lotro and I absolutely fell in love with the world in moments and the only negative I have found so far is how quickly I level. While I know I can use the stone of the tortoise and do most the time it doesn't have the same feel. I can't articulate why exactly the stone feels different, but I do know it isn't as enjoyable to me.
    I am not sure how I feel about the store selling exp boosters, simply because it's not something I am interested in though I know others are.

I am excited about the server though, I sure picked a good time to join middle earth!!
    Oryxia

Quote Originally Posted by Dinara View Post
    My only concern is how this will affect those of us that can only play a couple of hours a day vs those that play all day, every day.
    If you slow it down too much, and don't offer accelerators in the store or somewhere, we are going to get left behind.
    No matter what SSG is doing with XP, you will ALWAYS have a problem with players who play 10 hours/day.

I for myself would really appreciate it, if they cut the XP to half at a minimum. Just let us not outlevel an area where we play.

Thumbs down ./NO VOTE to XP changes

Quote Originally Posted by Dinara View Post

Exactly this.

Personally, I don't have the time. With only 4 months until Moria is opened up, this would be shooting some players in the foot - preventing many players with time constraints from ever experiencing the end-game of a level 50 disabled server.
    Seems like it would defeat the purpose of implementing this server in the first place.

If you don't want to level so fast, XP Disable yourself with the Stone of the Tortoise. There's nothing wrong with doing that, just please don't expect everyone to ride along on the same band wagon. Don't force everyone to fit your preferred play-style. Thank you.

My brain is easily distracted by things and I tend to forget important details from the past (at which point I'm prone to insert my own fabrication as fact), however I seem to recall that the current rate of XP award was arrived after several rounds of tweaking by the devs. This was in a stated effort to make it easier for "newcomers" and alts to catch up with their friends running late-game or end-game content.

These items were, among others, more XP-per-kill, more XP-per-quest-completion, "rest" XP, XP for crafting, and store-bought XP accelerators.

In the context of this new Legendary Server, I would be happy if some or all of the options I listed were reversed or eliminated. At least to start, with the possibility of changing as needed. Particularly since everyone will be a "newcomer" in a sense and the need to catch up won't be as pressing.

However, changing none of these will not keep me from giving it a go. As a lifer, I appreciate the spirit of adding more perks to VIP status, and I will participate.
    Firgrim of Landroval

Formerly Rampage522...new name, same management.

I've posted this on another thread, but in addition to lowering the rate of XP gains, I would appreciate giving enemies on the LS a global buff to increase their difficulty.

I don't know whether that is technically possible while preserving the same codebase shared with the other servers, but if it can be done by some means, please consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by WorrBinpike View Post
    No matter what SSG is doing with XP, you will ALWAYS have a problem with players who play 10 hours/day.
    Exactly. And at the other extreme, if people who can barely play an hour or two a week expect to be able to get multiple alts to 50 in a few months, they are not being reasonable.

One thing I certainly enjoyed about SoA through MoM and SoM was the game was far more alt friendly without the plethora of grinds introduced later - but alts still take more time. Anyone worried they don't play enough to get to 50 soon enough should at least consider this when tempted to start a second character.

And I do think the SoA stage of the legendary server should be much more than 4 months. Balanced well enough, and with a more alt friendly game, I could see it providing enough content for 6-12 months easily. More if PvMP was enabled.

We too have been considering the pace of leveling on the Legendary server, and would be curious to hear more about your thoughts on XP gain:

Would you like us to curb the amount of XP gained on the Legendary server, and what pace do you prefer?
    Frankly, I would like to see the pace of XP on both Legendary and Main servers be adjusted so that one doesn't out-level a zone simply because one chose to do a few side quests, or grind a festival for the cool pony. At the very least, the four main starter tracks should not push one past level 12. Breeland shouldn't push one past 20: who bothers with Buckland or Trestlebridge any more?

Folks who want to go faster can use the accelerators that are clogging their storage spaces, pay for the privileged, or run the repeatable content littering Eriador.
    Immigrant from the City of Paragon. We are heroes. This is what we do.

Founding member of Mornost Gwend of Gladden. "We shout a lot!"

Quote Originally Posted by Skoch View Post
    Exactly this.

Personally, I don't have the time. With only 4 months until Moria is opened up, this would be shooting some players in the foot - preventing many players with time constraints from ever experiencing the end-game of a level 50 disabled server.
    Seems like it would defeat the purpose of implementing this server in the first place.

If you don't want to level so fast, XP Disable yourself with the Stone of the Tortoise. There's nothing wrong with doing that, just please don't expect everyone to ride along on the same band wagon. Don't force everyone to fit your preferred play-style. Thank you.
    On the other side, players who do not have much time should maybe stay at live servers ?

I somewhat agree with you that players just can equip the tortoise. But this system is working better if you have someone, who takes the decision for you. At least many players will just not equip the tortoise.

Just disable XP from crafting and keep xp from quest completion alone so late comers and alt makers can catch up. I also think it should be 6 months before Moria and maybe 4 months per expansion after that.
    Where did all the common sense go?

The fact that this decision is even being questioned by the devs is why myself and pretty much everyone I know won't even be touching this server.

It will feel nothing like level 50, and although its been explicitly stated that it isn't a vanilla server, what do you expect but disappointment from players who will without fault of their own be searching for an authentic level 50 experience?

You can't do something like this and not expect nostalgia to be a major force acting on players. And I think you guys (the devs) are making the mistake of thinking that hopping into the Rift or into Carn-dum is enough to satisfy those longings.

Far from it... We want old progression back, and we want all of the "quality of life" changes you've made to be reverted so that progression feels authentic, IE. making XP harder to gain, making player-death consequential with dread, making traits actively earned and not passively earned, making mob difficulty much much more difficult on both landscape and within instances, making horses level-gated and expensive, as well as housing. They were great instances but they were great because they were the culmination of a much more interesting journey than we have now.

I get that you're limited as far as what you're able to re-introduce into the game, but clearly not that limited if issues like these are still up in the air.
    Illydros Squanto Ulricson Saridas Gap

Quote Originally Posted by Fredelas View Post
    Changing the overall rate of character XP gain or crafting skill progression is something that can be done with a server-wide buff, like the kind we get on bonus weekends. It's probably not a lot of work to add a server-side script that applies this kind of buff only on the legendary server. None of the other game data would have to be changed at all.

This is a good example of the kind of thing that's comparatively easy to change the feel of the legendary server without affecting any of the live servers.
    Correct, that is indeed how we would probably do it.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Google+ - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

It's good to see you guys are thinking about this seriously!!!
    Any other plans that you are able to share that you guys have on the table that are being considered? I'm curious to see how else the server might differ from Live, in order to give the best experience possible.

Xp gained from crafting should be removed. As far as xp from quests and mob kills i don't feel that should be nerfed, if people want xp nerfed they can nerf themself. Others are going to wan't to roll alts etc, so nerfing overall xp should be users choice, make a quick store item for those people that only allow them to earn 50 percent xp or something.

Also i feel the 4 months between content should be moved to 5-6 months.

Also i have not seen the answers to these questions if they have been asked but, Will big battles also be disabled? the gear you get from them is pretty strong for lower levels. And will hobbit present armor be removed because i think at level 50 it will be better than most level 50 gear in game.

There are a lot of different opinions on this, as you can see.

Since this is a VIP server, why don't you give every character a Stone of the Tortoise at creation, and let each player decide on the pace of leveling that works for them?

Surely that won't break the bank.
    “All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Quote Originally Posted by ShireDweller View Post

Since this is a VIP server, why don't you give every character a Stone of the Tortoise at creation, and let each player decide on the pace of leveling that works for them?

That's a fake experience...and we can already do that on live.

Quote Originally Posted by 007Squanto View Post
    That's a fake experience...and we can already do that on live.
    You can already do all the rest of it on live too...and for free.
    “All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

It's much faster to gain levels now than it was when the cap was 50, and mobs are far, far easier to kill. Both overall makes levelling incredibly quicker compared to how it was. I think most people who'd like an experience reduction just want a slower, more natural pace for the level range, and the ability to play through zones without out levelling them half way through.

You can already do all the rest of it on live too...and for free.
    Well none of it is free but you're right, that's why the whole thing is a bad idea. The only chief difference being that instead of needing a stone of the tortoise to do it now, we will not have to meta-game in order to have the level 50 experience on the legendary server. Imo that's the whole appeal, so encouraging meta-gaming with the tortoise stone even within the legendary server seems completely contradictory.

Changing the overall rate of character XP gain or crafting skill progression is something that can be done with a server-wide buff, like the kind we get on bonus weekends. It's probably not a lot of work to add a server-side script that applies this kind of buff only on the legendary server. None of the other game data would have to be changed at all.

This is a good example of the kind of thing that's comparatively easy to change the feel of the legendary server without affecting any of the live servers.

I am a Life VIP, was part of the beta forums, and active in the game coming up on 11 years. If the Legendary server will be primarily to cater to a group of people with a certain style of game play then count me out. I don't have time to game all day. I am here because of the lore (yes, I do read every dialogue box and take time to learn my profession) but I find slow XP painful and frustrating. To snail crawl everywhere because I don't have a horse is not my cup of tea. If slow xp and no horse till 35 is the plan, then what would induce me to try this server? Nothing that I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Merridew View Post

I am a Life VIP, was part of the beta forums, and active in the game coming up on 11 years. If the Legendary server will be primarily to cater to a group of people with a certain style of game play then count me out. I don't have time to game all day. I am here because of the lore (yes, I do read every dialogue box and take time to learn my profession) but I find slow XP painful and frustrating. To snail crawl everywhere because I don't have a horse is not my cup of tea. If slow xp and no horse till 35 is the plan, then what would induce me to try this server? Nothing that I can see.
    Very Valid point and i agree if i am stuck in a zone with a grind gap to the next quest chains it wont be fun at all. a compromise to the horse idea with the implementation of slower exp would be like lvl 15 or 20 but with slower gains of exp 35 is a longggggg grind without a horse. and that also would exclude any mounts they plan to sell in the store for a very long time... so either way they might gain a lot of revenue from the sale of boosts but loose a ton of revenue on the horse. level 15 is a reasonable amount of time to gain a horse per character imo. and still feel like you accomplished something.

I totally agree with this.
    That way the folks that can't play as much can still level at an acceptable pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronstone View Post
    Very Valid point and i agree if i am stuck in a zone with a grind gap to the next quest chains it wont be fun at all. a compromise to the horse idea with the implementation of slower exp would be like lvl 15 or 20 but with slower gains of exp 35 is a longggggg grind without a horse. and that also would exclude any mounts they plan to sell in the store for a very long time... so either way they might gain a lot of revenue from the sale of boosts but loose a ton of revenue on the horse. level 15 is a reasonable amount of time to gain a horse per character imo. and still feel like you accomplished something.
    I agree. Good suggestion.

I have noticed that a lot of posts here and in the Mount Thread suggest that those who dislike the poster's favored implementation should manage the issue by doing <suggestion that works on live>. It works both ways but misses the important point that I suspect most posters skirt around subconsciously: A desire to have a level playing field.

Yes, we can play in various ways but it is an ingrained part of being a player of games that the rules ought to be the same for all players. And if they are *my* rules so much the better.

(Excluding roleplayers who manage to get enjoyment from smelling the roses along the way. It's not for me but I can't help admiring their tenacity and inward calm in a world driven by a desire to move onwards, always onwards).

Is the same possible for mob damage and morale (in theory)?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast