We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I think the Legendary Server should have player XP per level changed.

One of the main reasons that SSG is saying that the Legendary Server is a good idea is because it will foster community.

I've noticed that XP gain is quite substantial while leveling and that you can quickly outlevel the zone you are in as a result.
    If they are wanting to foster community, I think that the XP required per level should be increased so that we can stay in zones longer, thereby requiring us to group up to complete more of the zone quests than we normally would.

This would allow folks to explore every zone all the more, and get the most out of the experience. Of course this can be changed as more content is released. It would be daunting to try and get to 100+ that way. I think that the xp per level should be increased for the first 1-50 experience, and decreased back a small % as each subsequent update is released until we get back to the current xp required per level as it is on LIVE.

My fear is that everyone is going to spam level quests, out level zones, and then everyone will be in the end zone content while those of who who really enjoy the journey and trying to stretch that as far as we can will be left alone soloing the world as it so often is on LIVE.

One of the things that drastically separates Lotro from other MMO's is the journey. I think that aspect should be prioritized as it is the real strength of this MMO.

I would love to hear pros/cons on what the community thinks. I know this will not be everyone's cup of tea. I hope that those that love this game can see this legendary server as an opportunity for new players to experience the journey of living a character in Middle-earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Marahir View Post
    One of the main reasons that SSG is saying that the Legendary Server is a good idea is because it will foster community.

I've noticed that XP gain is quite substantial while leveling and that you can quickly outlevel the zone you are in as a result.
    If they are wanting to foster community, I think that the XP required per level should be increased so that we can stay in zones longer, thereby requiring us to group up to complete more of the zone quests than we normally would.

This would allow folks to explore every zone all the more, and get the most out of the experience. Of course this can be changed as more content is released. It would be daunting to try and get to 100+ that way. I think that the xp per level should be increased for the first 1-50 experience, and decreased back a small % as each subsequent update is released until we get back to the current xp required per level as it is on LIVE.

My fear is that everyone is going to spam level quests, out level zones, and then everyone will be in the end zone content while those of who who really enjoy the journey and trying to stretch that as far as we can will be left alone soloing the world as it so often is on LIVE.

One of the things that drastically separates Lotro from other MMO's is the journey. I think that aspect should be prioritized as it is the real strength of this MMO.

I would love to hear pros/cons on what the community thinks. I know this will not be everyone's cup of tea. I hope that those that love this game can see this legendary server as an opportunity for new players to experience the journey of living a character in Middle-earth.
    The point of the Legendary Server is the idea to allow people to experience the many stages/endgames of the game together. Slow leveling on the LS defeats the purpose. You can do that on any server. If you ask me, you absolutely cannot do that on the LS, because why are you there then? This whole thing is created so that people can be together and play together. The sad reality is that people rush to endgame so this "togetherness" has to happen there. Just my 2 cents.

As for your idea to make leveling slower, it has merit. The journey feels more satisfying when it involves more effort. Strictly within reason.
    “ädvëntürës ärë nöt äll pönÿ-rïdës ïn mäÿ-sünshïnë.”

Quote Originally Posted by NeebPlayer View Post
    The point of the Legendary Server is the idea to allow people to experience the many stages/endgames of the game together. Slow leveling on the LS defeats the purpose. You can do that on any server. If you ask me, you absolutely cannot do that on the LS, because why are you there then? This whole thing is created so that people can be together and play together. The sad reality is that people rush to endgame so this "togetherness" has to happen there. Just my 2 cents.

As for your idea to make leveling slower, it has merit. The journey feels more satisfying when it involves more effort. Strictly within reason.
    I would rather see the level caps start earlier--like 20ish for Great Barrows, Then something in the 30's, and what's Annuminas, 40's? Places where group instances first become available

I agree with this, I would even support making hell levels (3x xp needed) for every 10 levels. Not likely to happen, but worth the experiment imo.
    Baellor, Ark : Not all those who wander are lost :

Quote Originally Posted by aldariondb View Post
    I agree with this, I would even support making hell levels (3x xp needed) for every 10 levels. Not likely to happen, but worth the experiment imo.
    People would power through it. In BDO, they grind mobs 10 hours a day just to get 1% xp towards the next level. There is no limit to how grindy you can make a game. Some people will make it their life purpose, while others will curse you for it. But they will all do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Starliteyes
    I would rather see the level caps start earlier--like 20ish for Great Barrows, Then something in the 30's, and what's Annuminas, 40's? Places where group instances first become available
    This would be nice, but it seems like they want to catch the server up to current live in 2 years. 4 months for each expansion. I wish they weren't in such a hurry.
    “ädvëntürës ärë nöt äll pönÿ-rïdës ïn mäÿ-sünshïnë.”

This would be nice, but it seems like they want to catch the server up to current live in 2 years. 4 months for each expansion. I wish they weren't in such a hurry.
    And that's the arguably it's biggest flaw. Once it catches up (in 2 short years) it won't be a Legendary Server anymore, it will just be another server. If there's one thing they really ought to rethink, IT'S THE GAP between updates. 4 months is just not enough.

I agree with the OP - LOTRO is a game based on story not based on what you can do at maximum level. Taking a lot longer than it currently doe to get to 50 would be a big improvement.

For those that want a classic server - for technical reasons this cannot happen but having 50 take 10 times longer to get to would bring back some of the original feel. Fifty *did* take far longer to get to back then.

I'm on the fence about joining the legendary server, but I agree about making leveling slower. That would actually make me *more* likely to join in.
    Lonely Mountain Meercats, On Crickhollow:
    Wenslydale (Hobbit Burglar), Leolwyn (Woman Hunter), Naniavas (Elf Loremaster), Chalcedonay (Hobbit Warden), Aradeith (Beorning), Gydis (Dwarf Runekeeper)

Bad idea.
    Mind, I have zero interest in LS, so no dog in this fight. But let me explain.

There will be those wanting to rush full speed to top level. They will start together, so they will have plenty of like-minded company and have their fun.

There will also be those who will want to thoroughly re-experience the journey. They will also start together and have plenty of company.

However, trying to lash the two types together by some artificial game mechanics will be a disaster. The two have a cardinally different approach to gameplay. The former are going to rush about, speed-clicking through whatever quest text there is, sacrificing every other game aspect in the name of leveling efficiency. Abandoning questlines and rushing off to new areas the moment mobs/quests go dark blue. The latter will take their time to read quest texts, admire the views, reminisce to fellows about some adventure they had in this or that area.

The two types will be incompatible and get on each other nerves. They will not do things together, period.

Any means to hold back the fast ones are only going to frustrate the slower ones.

Quote Originally Posted by scorrp10 View Post
    The two types will be incompatible and get on each other nerves. They will not do things together, period.

Any means to hold back the fast ones are only going to frustrate the slower ones.
    Heh. This is a good point.

I don't necessarily want to try to quest with the munchkins. I just don't want to level out of the challenge of an area after a few quests.

Y'know, an item like the pocket tortoise that reduces XP gain rather than stopping it entirely would accomplish the need. I wonder if they'd think about that. A turtle would be the right metaphor, but since that's taken, maybe a pocket snail.
    Lonely Mountain Meercats, On Crickhollow:
    Wenslydale (Hobbit Burglar), Leolwyn (Woman Hunter), Naniavas (Elf Loremaster), Chalcedonay (Hobbit Warden), Aradeith (Beorning), Gydis (Dwarf Runekeeper)

We too have been considering the pace of leveling on the Legendary server, and would be curious to hear more about your thoughts on XP gain:

Would you like us to curb the amount of XP gained on the Legendary server, and what pace do you prefer?
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Google+ - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We too have been considering the pace of leveling on the Legendary server, and would be curious to hear more about your thoughts on XP gain:

Would you like us to curb the amount of XP gained on the Legendary server, and what pace do you prefer?
    Given the broad variety of regions available up to level 50, I think that you can afford to curb xp a bit - possibly half speed? There are at least two zones for most level ranges:

1-15: Shire, Ered Luin, Bree-land
    15-20: Bree-land
    20-30: Lonelands, North Dowms
    30-40: Trollshaws and early Misties, Evendim
    40-45: Early Angmar, late Misties, Forochel
    45-50: late Angmar, Eregion, late Forochel, Book 7 onwards
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

Ideally, I'd love it if I had a chance to do every quest in a zone/plus grinding, plus dungeons for that zone, where I didn't out-level the zone. If I'm being "forced" to spend time in lower tier content, I want to get as much out of that content as possible. It never feels good to open your quest log and see 10 quests that are grey for a zone you've been working through for a while. It really makes the experience less than enjoyable. Story is the strength, allow space for us to explore that story while being able to reap rewards for doing so. Let the exploration and quests feel good for doing them.

The leveling should definitely slow down appreciably - but not so much that you are underleveled when moving to the next zone. The goal shouildn't be to speed to end game and skip most of the leveling group content. Although this can be adjusted as they increase the level cap to allow people to catch up.

The four month period for major updates is also far too short.
    "Convenience not Advantage"____"There's a new PVP Zone coming"

I Think the best idea is an item, maybe a ring? That work like the ring you get as high elf but reversed. Like a ring of Power with decent stats but as long you wear it the xp goes down to a third or fourth.
    I had gladly used it, but i really want ppl that dont want to get the journey/grind higher should be forced to it.

So plz do it an optional fun thing, so we can get the best of the Worlds for both the fast and slow playstyle.

Best regards from a player that 100% will play on the new server :-)

I like the idea of the journey taking a little longer and fighting grey mobs just doesn't appeal to me. I've purchased many 'tortoise' stones from the store for this very reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyndor View Post
    And that's the arguably it's biggest flaw. Once it catches up (in 2 short years) it won't be a Legendary Server anymore, it will just be another server. If there's one thing they really ought to rethink, IT'S THE GAP between updates. 4 months is just not enough.
    from my experience with EQ Progression servers is that it will merge with a live server (Free) and then they will offer free character transfers to any free server you want to play your characters on, mind you that is EQ also 2 years is a bit of time for them to develop another ViP Server progression that could have different rule sets. to what those rule sets are who knows. and lets not rule out more expansions for Live servers which would or could add an extra 4-8 months before it could possibly be merged with any current free server.

EDIT: or it could Retain its ViP server and they will offer transfers if that is desired by the community but i also see it keeping with the ViP status they have that on the current servers in EQ Fippy DarkPaw is unavailable as a free server, and was the first Progression server that EQ had

This then would not affect the other servers one bit?
    Farm as if there is no tomorrow, cook as if there is no health inspection!

When in game, no thoughts of the forums, when on the forums, the game fades. The former is preferable.

People can always buy turtle stones if they want to be slowpokes. It's not like you're restricted to one toony either, so people can start work on alts if they rush to the end and don't know what to do. xp on live works fine, why change it

Well i notice on the progression servers i have played in EQ the EXP gain is greatly reduced i think if that is done to a similar fashion perhaps instead of static launch of content boost it to a 5 month release per voting by anyone at cap of the Legendary server. or at least to anyone 40+ if they vote, and vote is passed then after 1 month the launch of the next content is then launched by approval of the community. if it is not passed then perhaps given a 2 month Cool Down to next voting cycle. Just a thought

Thank you for trying to make the new server as enjoyable as possible within the constraints given.

It is very easy to outlevel content in Eriador, and even in each region. As a completist (which may be a bit excessive) I have used the Stone of the Tortoise a lot to get some enjoyment from the zones when I drag a new character through the game.

I think halving XP would be a nice touch and stretch out the content without having players run out of quests and content. As there are several parallel paths to take, e.g. The Lone-lands vs North Downs, reducing XP would give players a chance to explore both regions without fighting green or gray mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian-Hammerfist View Post
    Given the broad variety of regions available up to level 50, I think that you can afford to curb xp a bit - possibly half speed? There are at least two zones for most level ranges:
    Some of us like that there are multiple ways to level. If I get tired of Shire quests, I go do Ered Luin. But to HAVE to go through Shire and Archet and Ered Luin to get to 15??? You've got to be kidding me. Forgive me if I've misunderstood but that is what it looks like you're suggesting.
    I've actually been hoping for MORE alternate leveling zones. It'd be nice to have an alternative to Moria, for instance.

Honestly, the more I hear about this the worse it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Palentian View Post
    Some of us like that there are multiple ways to level. If I get tired of Shire quests, I go do Ered Luin. But to HAVE to go through Shire and Archet and Ered Luin to get to 15??? You've got to be kidding me. Forgive me if I've misunderstood but that is what it looks like you're suggesting.
    I've actually been hoping for MORE alternate leveling zones. It'd be nice to have an alternative to Moria, for instance.

you can still curb leveling and then have alternate places to level if your not quite of level of desired content. i remember doing a lot of lone lands, north downs and then evendim to hit trollshaws and then up to misty mountains, then angmar that was my leveling route...

Quote Originally Posted by Palentian View Post

Assuming there are more on-level characters won't there be better opportunity to run instances from level 20 and through those gain extra xp? That option is not really practically available on the other servers. Even without Skirmishes the Fellowship options should cover the lack of xp from skipping a zone.

At least that's what I believe. If you dislike the low level instances (Great Barrow, Inn of the Forsaken, Fornost, et al) then it could be a genuine problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorietta View Post
    Assuming there are more on-level characters won't there be better opportunity to run instances from level 20 and through those gain extra xp? That option is not really practically available on the other servers. Even without Skirmishes the Fellowship options should cover the lack of xp from skipping a zone.

At least that's what I believe. If you dislike the low level instances (Great Barrow, Inn of the Forsaken, Fornost, et al) then it could be a genuine problem.
    Guess it depends on your tastes? I Had a lot of great times in Great Burrows once back when cap was 50. but all other instances i avoided until solo play from the skirmishes. i much preferred leveling in open world zones. guess i am an oddball LOL

EDIT: also not sure if this was mentioned but will EXP from crafting be disabled? if not some may just craft and hit cap...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast