We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Two characters at cap and I am done with the grind

I have 13 character slots. Lifetime player.
    I have gotten 2 of my characters all the way to the Level Cap but I will not be taking any of the others to that cap.
    I'll give you three guesses about why that is (and the first 3 don't count).
    It's the grind for crystals and empowerment scrolls.
    Of course, I could just spend a ton of dough and buy Mithril coins. Ten MC gets you one crystal or scroll.
    I haven't done the math, but it isn't chump-change.

I have done those daily quests in Minas Tirith so many times that my monitor has burn-in lines that match the map of MT.

Someone please come up with a really brilliant idea about how to solve this conundrum.

I don't really hate running quests to get rewards.
    I do really hate running the same quest over and over and over...

Maybe there could be some kind of mega-deed that rewards you with crystals and scrolls as you complete segments and then a mega-reward of a pile of crystals when you complete the L100 final quest.

I can't face the thought of taking another character through that crystal/scroll grind. And I won't pay the money to get them the easy way.
    I feel that if I pay the money I will be reinforcing a terrible concept.
    There is a line from an old Dylan tune...

Now the bricks lay on Grand Street
    Where the neon madmen climb
    They all fall there so perfectly
    It all seems so well timed
    An’ here I sit so patiently
    Waiting to find out what price
    You have to pay to get out of
    Going through all these things twice

Oh, Mama, can this really be the end
    To be stuck inside of Mobile
    With the Memphis blues again
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

What will you do now?

I have 15 character slots, with one character at 116, one at 115, and the next one is somewhere around 70 (I think).
    I have quite a few other accounts that mostly exist to accommodate housing/kinships.

I play for fun and progression is one thing that is fun. However, not at all cost.

Thus, I play the game 'my way' which includes some level of grind but only when I consider it fun. Many of the Lotro grinds
    are not fun.
    From f2p to p2p: nothing here is accidental
    https://www.gdcvault.com/play/102469...g-Monetization

Quote Originally Posted by Happybudgy View Post
    What will you do now?...snip
    I will keep adventuring with the 2 capped characters.
    I will jump over to the Legendary Server and check that out.
    I will occasionally run some of my alts.

I just can't see myself running through that torturous grind to get crystals/scrolls.
    I don't care much for festivals.

I don't mind spending some money on the game. I buy accelerators and a few other items at the Store.
    But I won't be taking those alts to cap.
    Too much grind.
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.

It's too bad of your alts.

I want to try bring an alt up without grinding any crystals and scrolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Happybudgy View Post
    It's too bad of your alts.

I want to try bring an alt up without grinding any crystals and scrolls.
    Sounds like in interesting experiment.
    I wonder if you will be able to get to endgame (completing the epics) without maxed Legendaries.

Yes, I'm in the same position. Lots of alts parked otherwise I'd spend all my play time grinding for scrolls and crystals. And who wants to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    Sounds like in interesting experiment.
    I wonder if you will be able to get to endgame (completing the epics) without maxed Legendaries.
    I have no idea and I am curious to find out.

Anyone reading this who has tried this?

The grind is too much, way too much. I am on the legendary server levelling a character and having fun doing deeds and all the old quests, the place is buzzing, come on over.
    I will stick around until the legendary server hits Rohan and then I am done. Really looking forward to the 4 months that Moria hits the legendary server and running all that content on level again with lots of players.

The annoying thing is that the grind could be avoided, there are far better ways to monetize the game that people are willing to pay for without introducing huge grinds with a monetary bypass. So I have 8 months to a year to look forward to. Hopefully in that time they do something to address the grind, playing multiple alts is a no go as it stands. With luck the imbued system will be overhauled before the legendary servers hit 100.

You could try ignoring legendary items altogether and just use looted weapons. I read a thread on here recently where someone did that and said it was fine. I’ll try and find the thread and link it later if I do. Maybe raids and T3 stuff you might need it, but I bet landscape and regular instances would be fine.

What about getting other characters to certain levels and then tortoising them so they are the right level for each area e.g. a level 50 for Angmar/early Moria, 60 for Lothlorien/Mirkwood, 100 for Gondor etc.? Then you can jump into whatever zone you fancy playing in and be at the right level to still have some challenge. This is what I plan to do; I even have some characters created with this in mind e.g. an elf champion for Mirkwood, a Man warden with all Rohan-themed cosmetics for getting to 85ish etc.

Apologies if I’m teaching you to suck eggs, just some ideas

Edit: found the thread, it’s here:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-I-ignore-LI-s
    Last edited by TheArtilleryman; Dec 29 2018 at 06:00 PM.
    “...and he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days”

I have 5 120's. 2 of them have 1st agers with crystals but no scrolls. the other 120's are using 3rd agers. One has a symbol waiting until he can achieve westernmet with the guild to make his weapon. The other 4 characters will play as far as they can without getting 1st agers. The ones that can't make weapons will do without as they cost way too much to buy. It is stupid that they cost 300-500 gold on the AH. I do not like the rep grinds let alone grinds for scrolls. I have yet to play end game and may never get there due to the scroll grind.
    I dance for cookies!