We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Angry What the hell ssg?

HOW DARE YOU GUYS SWITCH SLIVERS OF A BLACK STEEL KEY TO BARTER FOR MOTES OF ENCHANTMENT? I AM UTTERLY LIVID.

I spent literally months earning those effing slivers every single day for U23. And now, because I left them as slivers instead of turning them into keys before the update, I am out over FIFTY keys! This is absolutely the kind of thing that loses customers. I will be cancelling my VIP and not spending another cent on supporting a-holes who would do this to loyal fans. No warning in the BR patch notes that the barter would be changing. Instead, you just punish everyone who hadn't converted before-hand. What a complete and utter load of BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post

One big difference in U23 and beyond is we will reward Embers of Enchantment to you directly when you do endgame quests, rather than indirectly through lootbox keys. You'll accumulate enough Embers to buy the gear you want from a vendor. This helps fight random luck when trying to get the stuff you want. The Ember vendors won't have gear from the most recent end game group content until around two or so weeks after that content is released. So, the only way to get this gear when content is first released is to play the content. Finally, the vendor may have a requirement that you complete the content before you can pick any of the gear.

Sev~
    LOL

Idiot. That says they'll award embers directly. Not a word about the barter for BSK changing.

So... why did you not exchange them? I was running dailies and the moment I got 3 slivers on me, I would turn around and get a key from the barterer. It is not like there was a cap on how many keys you can have.
    It was said very clearly that existing black steel keys would unlock new boxes.
    About leftover slivers. Did they not say they would at least originally exchange for embers? Even so, thats a helluva loss. I mean, what was the rate right after U23, 300 embers per 3 slivers? The first box I opened with a key had 1000 embers, a 400 ember item and a 200-figment cosmetic.

So... why did you keep them as slivers?

I agree Aladrieth bad form on SSG's part over the whole abandonment of both Black and Sturdy Steel Keys other than through Store purchase.

However, I wouldn't rage quit just yet. Give it another week or so to see what the barters will be exchanging for those embers of enchantment? If it ends up being comparable to what you might have gotten from gorgoroth loot boxes then it won't be a complete loss.

Perhaps maybe, even a more favorable exchange...

I am giving them the benefit of the doubt until I have more information. Hope you do the same.

Welden
    Welden of Elendilmir

Quote Originally Posted by scorrp10 View Post
    There was no need to exchange them. I was waiting on the U23 lootboxes to use them, so they would've just taken up space in my inventory. Since SSG didn't warn us that the barter exchange would change, I thought I could just save them in my wallet until I needed them.

Quote Originally Posted by welden View Post
    However, I wouldn't rage quit just yet. Give it another week or so to see what the barters will be exchanging for those embers of enchantment? If it ends up being comparable to what you might have gotten from gorgoroth loot boxes then it won't be a complete loss.

Welden
    Weldon, the slivers are now only barterable for MOTES of enchantment. Which are useless. My 150 slivers went from being one of the most important barter items in the game, to pretty much worthless.

I don't get this. The keys don't take up any more space in inventory than slivers. Why run the risk when you knew keys were safe?

So... why did you not exchange them? I was running dailies and the moment I got 3 slivers on me, I would turn around and get a key from the barterer. It is not like there was a cap on how many keys you can have.
    It was said very clearly that existing black steel keys would unlock new boxes.
    About leftover slivers. Did they not say they would at least originally exchange for embers? Even so, thats a helluva loss. I mean, what was the rate right after U23, 300 embers per 3 slivers? The first box I opened with a key had 1000 embers, a 400 ember item and a 200-figment cosmetic.

Well, I don't know why the OP did. I did because during the entire time I was going through Mordor, I did not see *one* box that a black key would open.

Now, after the opportunity to make black keys have vanished, I've seen two. They're sitting in my vault. I've been advised to put them on the AH.

Do they drop in high-difficulty group instances? They don't appear to drop on landscape.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Quote Originally Posted by Aladrieth View Post
    HOW DARE YOU GUYS SWITCH SLIVERS OF A BLACK STEEL KEY TO BARTER FOR MOTES OF ENCHANTMENT? I AM UTTERLY LIVID.

I spent literally months earning those effing slivers every single day for U23. And now, because I left them as slivers instead of turning them into keys before the update, I am out over FIFTY keys! This is absolutely the kind of thing that loses customers. I will be cancelling my VIP and not spending another cent on supporting a-holes who would do this to loyal fans. No warning in the BR patch notes that the barter would be changing. Instead, you just punish everyone who hadn't converted before-hand. What a complete and utter load of BS.
    First of all ragging an unleashing your negativity or frustration to such an degree might only complicate "unpleasant" situation for thee furthermore. Your are strictly loot focused. You cannot call thyself loyal fan if you create threads such are these indeed which are primarily related to the acquisition or the wealth,coin,boxes,loot.Gear and so on.. A true fan shan't cancel VIP because he/she does not have an access to overrated keys which are basically insignificant part. They cannot impact your joy, they should not. Nay. I for instance have not touched boxes for months nor I intend to open one ever again. What about Story,lore,world in general? Hundreds of little wonders? I understand passion and being annoyed or when do not go in your pocket or accommodate to wishes yes, even if they had not thou shalt embrace thy fate of not having Silvers, simple it is or abandon the game. Punished? Acceptance,besides that you have had chances to barter for keys, you decided to drag it out. You have lost the Silvers and move on if you canst then my Mellon. The door is on your left. Ultimately honest and real, please correct I am wrong. Super rarely I am.
    You have to learn and accept the defeat. Think about once more! Do You truly wish to be annoyed for a few virtual items? Even hundred+ I have lost recently 20 Premium Housing writs which equates to 5000 LP value and far greater. I certainly have not created forum thread, I remain perfectly calm. I once in Elder days and not long ago had to start everything again from utter scratch and when I see these threads .They made me laugh and sorrowful in same time.

You truly have two options. Embrace it or quit the game.
    Read the biography for further details. My spirit burns as flame.

All that time wasted with no due recourse sucks.

Ignore the troll in your thread. It is easy enough to spot and makes threads much shorter in length.
    Università degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza" Sapienza University of Rome

Graduate PhD con lode Scienze della Politica

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    Well, I don't know why the OP did. I did because during the entire time I was going through Mordor, I did not see *one* box that a black key would open.

Now, after the opportunity to make black keys have vanished, I've seen two. They're sitting in my vault. I've been advised to put them on the AH.

Do they drop in high-difficulty group instances? They don't appear to drop on landscape.
    You serious? It was RAINING Gorgoroth boxes all over the landscape, especially inside dungeons. Durthang alone I think I got 12 while doing various storyline quests there. I probably destroyed over 50 of them cause they were clogging up inventory. And now in new areas, those boxes also drop rather profusely, 3-4 a day minimum.

Thumbs down

Whose fault is that that you didn't cash them in for Black Steel keys.. Yours, 100% yours..
    In place of a dark lord, you shall have Queen...... All shall love me and dispair

Quote Originally Posted by Saintjoan View Post
    Whose fault is that that you didn't cash them in for Black Steel keys.. Yours, 100% yours..
    Who's fault is it that it wasn't announced - in the myriad and many official posts made about the changes to black steel keys - that slivers should be changed to keys before the update arrived?

Not the OP's that's for sure.

There were many, many official posts made about keys - not a pip about that though. There are many of us who "guessed" well, but probably plenty that didn't.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    Who's fault is it that it wasn't announced - in the myriad and many official posts made about the changes to black steel keys - that slivers should be changed to keys before the update arrived?

There were many, many official posts made about keys - not a pip about that though. There are many of us who "guessed" well, but probably plenty that didn't.
    Key changes should have been made very clear in game somehow - either through a mail sent to all characters or something else. I ended up with 20 steel keys I could not use thanks to the lootboxes no longer dropping, I could have farmed aload of boxes if they had endeadvoured to communicate it thoroughly and effectively instead of expecting us to come find the info - Also things like this, why on earth would you even anticipate it to change?
    Evernight since 2007
    Greatorex - Guardian & many, many alts!

Just like myself and many other players spent hours farming pelennor and osgiliath instances, only to have the gear nerfed.

This is the problem with all of the silly currencies they invent. In a normal, game, you'd be able to turn around and sell this stuff, or it wouldn't have been nerfed in the first place, since it was nerfed specifically because we were undermining their scheme of bottlenecking players into grinding for the newest currency.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greatorex View Post
    Key changes should have been made very clear in game somehow - either through a mail sent to all characters or something else. I ended up with 20 steel keys I could not use thanks to the lootboxes no longer dropping, I could have farmed aload of boxes if they had endeadvoured to communicate it thoroughly and effectively instead of expecting us to come find the info - Also things like this, why on earth would you even anticipate it to change?
    There was mentions on social media, several livestreams (granted you have to comb for it in the mess that is +Cord of the Rings because no one at SSG stubs the livestreams for clips), there was an article on LOTRO's website that sent players to the information dump Severlin gave awhile back & then there's of course the dev tracker on the forums.

Not to mention that *(at least what I experienced on Gladden), that players have been spreading warnings about this for at least a month up to Update 23 - Telling players to cash in for keys before the update.

As dumb as the change was, unless OP had zero interactions with the game since July, they were warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintjoan View Post
    Sorry OP but I have to agree here. We were told there would be no more Black Steel Keys from landscape anymore. That means Mordor and Strongholds dailies. Why would you not cash out those slivers before the update since there would no longer be a way to exchange them for a key?
    This is Cyan.
    This is Teal.
    Learn your colors people.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallandil View Post
    There was mentions on social media, several livestreams (granted you have to comb for it in the mess that is +Cord of the Rings because no one at SSG stubs the livestreams for clips), there was an article on LOTRO's website that sent players to the information dump Severlin gave awhile back & then there's of course the dev tracker on the forums.

Not to mention that *(at least what I experienced on Gladden), that players have been spreading warnings about this for at least a month up to Update 23 - Telling players to cash in for keys before the update.

As dumb as the change was, unless OP had zero interactions with the game since July, they were warned.
    If all those other avenues to "find out" existed, it begs the question doesn't it - why not add an official announcement? Of course, it's not hard to know why. Why - is how this thread exists and we have players in the OP's position.

There was plenty of warning about "no more keys in game to be earned", but nothing specific about picking up keys with slivers already earned.

Maybe the OP caught sight of the one post that informed the playerbase that keys will still be awarded for the 3 and 7 year anniversary, and assumed that some things, if already "earned" over time, would still be honoured. I made an educated guess about slivers, and cashed in as I went, but it was down to only that - guessing. I didn't see it on any social media, old info dump, or stream. As for seeing it from players on World chat, I mostly have that channel switched off - and since long before July. I saw a lot of stuff on there on the few login occasions I had it switched on, like how the game was closing down, how the new area was going to be so difficult it was practically unplayable, how the sky was going to fall. Not once did I see anybody mention slivers though, and even if they had, I'd have taken little notice or maybe not even seen it at all among all the outward panic and chaos.

OP could have course, like me, just cashed them in, just in case of the worst, but that isn't the point. The point is - this should have been made crystal clear, in game, on the announcement forum, on the launcher.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

You're pretty damn late to the party if you are JUST noticing this change.

Do whatever you want, I'd be pissed too if I shot myself in the foot after trying to get ahead in the next update. The best way to protest is by cutting off their revenue stream, not by playing the game and continuing to p2w and meekly complaining "this content sucks!" and hoping the hand that feeds you will give you a bone. So you're doing the right thing by cancelling your VIP.

Didn't The Learning Channel have a series on Extreme Hoarders?
    It is logical, in view of the times in which we live. But to be logical is not to be right, and nothing on God's earth could ever make it right!
    - Judge Dan Haywood

You serious? It was RAINING Gorgoroth boxes all over the landscape, especially inside dungeons. Durthang alone I think I got 12 while doing various storyline quests there. I probably destroyed over 50 of them cause they were clogging up inventory. And now in new areas, those boxes also drop rather profusely, 3-4 a day minimum.

That first month in Mordor they almost literally would just drop into your packs as you were walking along. Like the boxes were hiding on the roadways just waiting for a traveler to come by and pounce on them.

Of course, Gorgo loot boxes are pretty not worth the black steel key it would take to open them now.

I'm sorry for your misfortune Aladrieth. An official announcement to prevent this should have been made,
    but I've come to expect this poor communication from SSG, as I did from Turbine.

I heartily support you in your cancellation of VIP. I encourage everyone to vote with their wallets given the negative changes occurring
    with the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyaerunanethiel View Post
    First of all ragging an unleashing your negativity or frustration to such an degree might only complicate "unpleasant" situation for thee furthermore. Your are strictly loot focused. You cannot call thyself loyal fan if you create threads such are these indeed which are primarily related to the acquisition or the wealth,coin,boxes,loot.Gear and so on.. A true fan shan't cancel VIP because he/she does not have an access to overrated keys which are basically insignificant part. They cannot impact your joy, they should not. Nay. I for instance have not touched boxes for months nor I intend to open one ever again. What about Story,lore,world in general? Hundreds of little wonders? I understand passion and being annoyed or when do not go in your pocket or accommodate to wishes yes, even if they had not thou shalt embrace thy fate of not having Silvers, simple it is or abandon the game. Punished? Acceptance,besides that you have had chances to barter for keys, you decided to drag it out. You have lost the Silvers and move on if you canst then my Mellon. The door is on your left. Ultimately honest and real, please correct I am wrong. Super rarely I am.
    You have to learn and accept the defeat. Think about once more! Do You truly wish to be annoyed for a few virtual items? Even hundred+ I have lost recently 20 Premium Housing writs which equates to 5000 LP value and far greater. I certainly have not created forum thread, I remain perfectly calm. I once in Elder days and not long ago had to start everything again from utter scratch and when I see these threads .They made me laugh and sorrowful in same time.

You truly have two options. Embrace it or quit the game.

Do you, ummm, self-medicate?
    "Life is a pretty boring game, but at least it has good graphics"

/necro
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool