We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 496
  1. #1

    Thumbs down New "Legendary" server fails.

    This is why the new server will fail after a month.

    1.Only for VIPs.
    2.It wont attract lot of NEW players or old as lotro has long been forgotten.
    3.It is not a "Classic" server so no point.
    4.There are no many players left in game to support such a painful content.
    5.It will spreed the players even more that will make the actual servers more dead which is bad now that we finally have a positive update after years.
    6.It will never bring back what everyone loved from back in 2007 and it is gonna be hated more because SSG.
    8.Only 4 months per expansion is way to sort.
    9.Nobody will play after ehm RoI as since RoR and after there where no decent content at all
    10.Very small dev team so it will make the new content even worst as SSG will spent time on maintain your "new super duper nostalgia server" Grats Nostaliga kids.

    The only reason you all love SOA is because lotro was new back then and you all saw a new shiny game!! The past is the past DEAL with it. The game has the same profile since 2007 nothing has changed. I would support the new server only if devs had dignity for themselves.

    A BIG FAILURE FOR LOTRO and a wasted resources.
    Last edited by Aleziana; Nov 07 2018 at 04:38 AM.
    Argohald 120 Champion(main), Phokalin 120 Guardian, Helectra 105 Warden Aegean eagles kinship in Evernight
    Aleziana 105 Lore master, Ellinas 100 Guardian, Armonia 65 Captain in Landroval

  2. #2
    It's not really wasted resources, because they are putting no resources into it.

    It's the identical game, with a lower level cap and a few red-walled zones.
    Dagoreth (Warden) and Belechannas (Lore-master) of Arkenstone

    < No Dorfs >
    Fighting the Dorf menace to Middle Earth since 2008

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    161
    We don't have many players, and legendary server just divide lotro community even more. Of course, some players love this idea and bring some money for this. BUT it decrease amount of players on current servers even more. People start to leaving, now to BOTH type of servers. MMO need a lot of players, instances and raids need a lot of players, game economic need a lot of players. In situation where SSG almost never advertise Lotro, it hurts game community even more.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    83

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleziana View Post
    1.Only for VIPs.
    3.It is not a "Classic" server so no point.
    5.It will spreed the players even more that will make the actual servers more dead which is bad now that we finally have a positive update after years.
    These 3 points are complete, massive, nails in the coffin for the idea of this server. And I do not understand how others cannot see it. If you want to return to the game to try this.. Well, tough luck, be ready to cough up 15 Euros just to try it. I mean seriously, what the ####? And why even make something like this when it's NOT classic, it's not legacy, it's not even how the game was back then. It's just less content, fresh server and a different end game. What the hell?

    The worst of these is of course that it will split the community. I'm on Laurelin and, it is not dead by any means but we're not exactly at an amazing population size. It's not WoW.. I guess a lot of bored end-game people will just go on over and this will split the community heavily. What a terrible idea honestly.. I mean, at least if it were classic, legacy, as-it-was back in 2007, 2008.. Sure, but it's not even that.

  5. #5
    Was addicted and played probably 75 hours a week freshman through junior year of high school and could honestly say this game and community was my first obsession. Grew up a bit stopped raiding so much but kept up with new content for a little while, thrn game went free to play and almost instantly the community went to #### and it lost almost all enjoyment. Still could always find time to play some games but could never even get past an hour on lotro over the last 3 years and every time I got bored cause it wasn't the same as it used to be, I'd always wish for a sub only legacy server. Once or twice even begging for one in the forums somehwere. I'm sorry if this hurts the current live servers but I love this idea, they could always push the rest of the population onto 2 or 3 servers in na and EU each. One big one for pvmp, pve, and idk roleplaying if you need a 3rd. But regardless I hope this succeeds because I have wanted this for a very long time and cannot wait to be surrounded by a dedicated and cool community. At the very least I'll have something to entertain me till the new lord of the rings mmo pr tes6.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Veniathan View Post
    If you want to return to the game to try this.. Well, tough luck, be ready to cough up 15 Euros just to try it. I mean seriously, what the ####?
    People who played LotRO back in SoA are grown-ups now, the vast majority of whom can afford 15 Euros or 15 dollars.

    I suspect they will try to pitch this to past subscribers and hope to snag some re-subs from people who don't read the fine print, or who have been away so long they don't understand what the game has become since they stopped playing.

    The real beauty of the whole idea is the fact that it costs SSG nothing (or next to nothing) and therefore every dollar/euro it brings in is straight profit.
    Dagoreth (Warden) and Belechannas (Lore-master) of Arkenstone

    < No Dorfs >
    Fighting the Dorf menace to Middle Earth since 2008

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by LagunaD2 View Post
    People who played LotRO back in SoA are grown-ups now, the vast majority of whom can afford 15 Euros or 15 dollars.

    I suspect they will try to pitch this to past subscribers and hope to snag some re-subs from people who don't read the fine print, or who have been away so long they don't understand what the game has become since they stopped playing.

    The real beauty of the whole idea is the fact that it costs SSG nothing (or next to nothing) and therefore every dollar/euro it brings in is straight profit.
    What is this argument even? I'm a full grown adult with an income, that doesn't mean I want to pay 15 euros a month only to TRY it. You know there are 100 ways to go about this right? Like what about test periods? What about giving previous subscribers a test period? Go shill elsewhere please.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by hobojimmy View Post
    Was addicted and played probably 75 hours a week freshman through junior year of high school and could honestly say this game and community was my first obsession. Grew up a bit stopped raiding so much but kept up with new content for a little while, thrn game went free to play and almost instantly the community went to #### and it lost almost all enjoyment. Still could always find time to play some games but could never even get past an hour on lotro over the last 3 years and every time I got bored cause it wasn't the same as it used to be, I'd always wish for a sub only legacy server. Once or twice even begging for one in the forums somehwere. I'm sorry if this hurts the current live servers but I love this idea, they could always push the rest of the population onto 2 or 3 servers in na and EU each. One big one for pvmp, pve, and idk roleplaying if you need a 3rd. But regardless I hope this succeeds because I have wanted this for a very long time and cannot wait to be surrounded by a dedicated and cool community. At the very least I'll have something to entertain me till the new lord of the rings mmo pr tes6.
    Except, merging of worlds already happened once and it was a mess, people did not like it. It has decreased the quality of the RP servers drastically. If this happens again I am quitting the game completely. There is no way I'm getting bunched together again. We don't need this again, nor do we want this again.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    161
    Imagine if they screw something and don't open new content on legendary server. They need divide already small number of SSG staff to work on it. It hurt progress on both servers. Imagine if player can't decide what he needs - tank Watcher on legendary server or new instances on old servers. When game already have problems finding tanks and healers in the instance when only hunters around. How it hurts kinships.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    390
    Agreed on all points. Splitting the playerbase is the worst though.
    It's esp a bad decision(made without consulting the community in a dialog) since they cant really walk back now. They are pretty much commited now, since they announced the legendary server...
    And it's not even a "classic" server....
    Heiwyn ~ Warden ~ Belegear
    Taldeen ~ Hunter ~ Belegaer
    Dagan ~ Minstrel ~ Belegaer

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    810
    It is not necessarily $15. $10 if quarterly, $6.66 if annual.
    From EverQuest perspective: game now has a bunch of different rule "progression servers" which enjoy a fair amount of success - and I did not really see much of an activity drop on live servers other than maybe first days of a new prog server launch.
    Just like 'SoA nostalgia' or 'RoI nostalgia', EQ got plenty of Velious or Planes nostalgia people.
    Those are for sub only, and EQ has no lifetimers. Of course, EQ sub actually has meaning, practically impossible to do endgame on live for F2P. What I could see, EQ prog servers primarily attracted back old timers who were burned out on live anyway. But point is EQ folks are very much used to paying subs even though game is technically F2P.

    I guess we wait and see. I personally got zero interest (same as in EQ), but I would not write it off as a failure yet. Big question is store and P2W. If it is as toxic on legendary as on live... eek.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    We don't have many players, and legendary server just divide lotro community even more. Of course, some players love this idea and bring some money for this. BUT it decrease amount of players on current servers even more. People start to leaving, now to BOTH type of servers. MMO need a lot of players, instances and raids need a lot of players, game economic need a lot of players. In situation where SSG almost never advertise Lotro, it hurts game community even more.
    This is exactly what I was thinking.

    Seriously, are they just testing the waters for a subscription based system here or what?

    It makes no sense to me what-so-ever.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleziana View Post
    This is why the new server will fail after a month.

    1.Only for VIPs.
    Any other game that has launched such a classic server - think WoW and Everquest - have done so for subscribers only. Obviously WoW was never free to play in the first place, but Everquest is. Launching a server like this costs time and money, and they have to somehow recoup that.

    The store simply doesn't contain enough pre-level 50 items to make the server profitable.


    2.It wont attract lot of NEW players or old as lotro has long been forgotten.
    A "classic" or "vanilla" server has never been about new players. These types of servers have always been about the old players that want to remember how things were in days past, and are yearning for that old style experience. Lotro has added many many new features over the years that would entice a new player.... a new player will WANT cosmetic pets and a cosmetic system, they will WANT things like auto-loot, they WANT much faster travel options then in those days..... These servers strictly exist because players that have played the game for many years want them.

    3.It is not a "Classic" server so no point.
    You are right. It isn't. It's a server designed to mimic the old experience, whilst leaving modern game features and modern bug fixes intact. I don't have a problem with this to be honest, who wants to go around and manually loot all friggin corpses? Who wants to have to wait for a boss to spawn because some dweeb hit it first and now it doesn't count to your quest? Nah..... the tagging and auto-loot feature have been a tremendous improvement, I would get annoyed if I had to play like before 2010 or so....

    4.There are no many players left in game to support such a painful content.
    But do you think there are enough players to warrant a truly classic server?

    5.It will spreed the players even more that will make the actual servers more dead which is bad now that we finally have a positive update after years.
    I don't know where you have been but servers aren't dead. Gladden may be low in population, but every time I get to the new hub in the new zone (I can't spell the name right now) it has multiple layers and there are 20-30 people crowding around the vendors. Everywhere I go I still see players..... And I don't think people will permanently go to that server, either. It's an extra thing for VIP's, and since it is for VIP's I am sure those VIP's arent going to restrict to that server.

    6.It will never bring back what everyone loved from back in 2007 and it is gonna be hated more because SSG.
    No it won't. And no I won't hate it. As said, the game has made so many improvements over the years we probably take for granted. There was no cosmetic system. No pets. No auto-loot. No shared tagging of monsters unless in fellowship. The whole greed/need roll system was broken and people got the wrong loots after a friggin 2 hour raid. There were way less fast travel options. There was no store, and no wallet. There were only 3 bags and you still had to store all that currency in it too.... No housing, that was added later. No advanced crafting in Bree or other new zones, you HAD to travel, and slowly, to far away zones just to craft the right things.... So many things we take for granted will be gone.

    8.Only 4 months per expansion is way to sort.
    For the record, you didn't put in a .7

    Anyways.... 4 months per expansion is indeed a short time considering people need to level to 50. 6 months would probably have been better.... That said, if we do take a 4 month schedule, it would go something like this:

    Nov 1 2018: Shadows of Angmar.
    Mar 1 2019: Mines of Moria. - 60
    Jul 1 2019: Lothlorien.
    Nov 1 2019: Mirkwood. - 65
    Mar 1 2020: Endwaidth
    Jul 1 2020: Isengard - 75
    Nov 1 2020: Great River
    Mar 1 2021: Riders of Rohan - 85
    Jul 1 2021: Wildermore
    Nov 1 2021: Helms Deep - 95
    Mar 1 2022: Fangorn
    Jul 1 2022: West Gondor - 100

    So it will take a good three years to reach 100 with a 4 month content rotation. With 6 months it would be about 5 years....

    9.Nobody will play after ehm RoI as since RoR and after there where no decent content at all
    I guess this is up to the eye of the beholder. People are still here. You are still here. I am still playing. So the game must have SOME sort of appeal for people still wanting to play content after Riders of Rohan.... sure, many people left, but that is something that happens to all MMO's, as people move on to the next new shiny thing they can play.

    10.Very small dev team so it will make the new content even worst as SSG will spent time on maintain your "new super duper nostalgia server" Grats Nostaliga kids.
    This here is the exact reason why they went with this approach. Unlike a full classic 2007 environment on the old code, they only have to keep up ONE code base.... and the Legendary server just has some quests and content locked that needs to be opened from time to time. With the small development team they have, the legendary server of this design is EASY to manage for a much lower cost. Obviously they still do need to make a profit on maintaining said server, hence VIP, but they won't need a lot of developers with this particular approach.

    The only reason you all love SOA is because lotro was new back then and you all saw a new shiny game!! The past is the past DEAL with it. The game has the same profile since 2007 nothing has changed. I would support the new server only if devs had dignity for themselves.

    A BIG FAILURE FOR LOTRO and a wasted resources.
    I think it gives us options. No one is forcing anyone to play this server. I probably WILL make a character on it..... but will I persist till level 50? I have no idea.... Who knows! But I think I will be giving it a try. As for wasted resources.... this option I think uses the least of their resources due to the fact it uses current code. The legendary server on the back-end won't be all that much different, they only difference is the level cap is fixed to a certain point, and the content is locked.

    I don't see it as a "big failure", just an option for those who want to try something different.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    2 Long Street, Corstead, Bree-land Homesteads, Crickhollow, Sweden
    Posts
    2,967
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleziana View Post
    This is why the new server will fail after a month.

    1.Only for VIPs.
    2.It wont attract lot of NEW players or old as lotro has long been forgotten.
    3.It is not a "Classic" server so no point.
    4.There are no many players left in game to support such a painful content.
    5.It will spreed the players even more that will make the actual servers more dead which is bad now that we finally have a positive update after years.
    6.It will never bring back what everyone loved from back in 2007 and it is gonna be hated more because SSG.
    8.Only 4 months per expansion is way to sort.
    9.Nobody will play after ehm RoI as since RoR and after there where no decent content at all
    10.Very small dev team so it will make the new content even worst as SSG will spent time on maintain your "new super duper nostalgia server" Grats Nostaliga kids.

    The only reason you all love SOA is because lotro was new back then and you all saw a new shiny game!! The past is the past DEAL with it. The game has the same profile since 2007 nothing has changed. I would support the new server only if devs had dignity for themselves.

    A BIG FAILURE FOR LOTRO and a wasted resources.
    What are you talking about? Legendary Server? What is this? Link please? Is this an SSG idea?
    The Elruthrim Brethren of Crickhollow
    Malancil CHN, Historian Calchiar CPT, Explorer Sturmdrang WDN, Woodsman Anancite GRD, Armourer Tarostel HNT, Armsman Angredeth HNT, Tinker Dromarong GRD, Dwarf

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleziana View Post
    This is why the new server will fail after a month.

    1.Only for VIPs.

    A BIG FAILURE FOR LOTRO and a wasted resources.
    The reason behind your rant is: you are not VIP and want it for free. You did never put real money into the game, right?


    It's not a failure, it's a great idea and I like it!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by Marancil View Post
    What are you talking about? Legendary Server? What is this? Link please? Is this an SSG idea?
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...60#post7879360

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    33
    When I first read about this, I was very excited.

    But the more I read, the more disappointed I became.

    I was a hardcore WoW player during original SoA days, and I never got a chance to experience the original Lotro game. I didn't start Lotro until years later.

    So at first this seemed brilliant! A chance to play the original game I missed out on.

    But that's not what this is. This is the current game with current races/classes/skills/items/&c. but just capped at level 50.

    If this were an actual restoration to a previous patch (like what WoW is doing) then yes, absolutely I would be on board and willing to start all over.

    But as this offers nothing that cannot be obtained via level capping on current servers, I will have to pass.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    2 Long Street, Corstead, Bree-land Homesteads, Crickhollow, Sweden
    Posts
    2,967
    ah.

    Ok. Thanks.

    Hum, don't really see the point of it, have done up to 50 like...12 times or so. Enough for me I think.
    The Elruthrim Brethren of Crickhollow
    Malancil CHN, Historian Calchiar CPT, Explorer Sturmdrang WDN, Woodsman Anancite GRD, Armourer Tarostel HNT, Armsman Angredeth HNT, Tinker Dromarong GRD, Dwarf

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Oregon Country
    Posts
    6,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurinuor View Post
    The reason behind your rant is: you are not VIP and want it for free. You did never put real money into the game, right?


    It's not a failure, it's a great idea and I like it!
    Yep. That's what I hear too. I'm totally down for a VIP only server. I wish there were no cash shop, loot crates, or rmt though. I'm only playing again to check this out. I don't want totally classic. A hybrid sounds much better. There were a lot of things rough and clunky about classic Shadows that got polished or finished over a couple xpacs - like music, hobbies, and crafting.

    The 4 month window for xpac rollout seems a bit short, but I bet they can flex on timelines, if needed, as the team gets more experience and feedback with this.

    All the rest of those worries will have to be seen. Maybe there will be things that don't work. Then they can change. If SSG is committed to trying it out then I'll give it a go. I still have 15 characters on Crick if it doesn't work out.
    Centuries ago, in primitive times, before the dawn of civilization, there were things that would be inconceivable to us today; such things as poverty, disease, violence, senility, and love.

  20. #20
    Ya, I honestly don't see the point. From the way they're describing it I don't understand why they couldn't just turn it into an event on the current servers.

    Something like, the community needs to finish 70% of Moria before a set date to earn a reward, but any progress made in Mirkwood before Moria is done will not count towards the community goal.

    If it was an actual classic server, I'd be all over it, but I can get the same experience by just making a new character on any of the existing servers.
    *Motivating quote from LOTR*

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,396
    Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post


    You are right. It isn't. It's a server designed to mimic the old experience, whilst leaving modern game features and modern bug fixes intact. I don't have a problem with this to be honest, who wants to go around and manually loot all friggin corpses? Who wants to have to wait for a boss to spawn because some dweeb hit it first and now it doesn't count to your quest? Nah..... the tagging and auto-loot feature have been a tremendous improvement, I would get annoyed if I had to play like before 2010 or so....
    No its not. It is the current game, capped at 50. I see no difference between this and rolling a new toon. Absolutely possible I missed something.

    From Cord:
    A Legendary server runs alongside existing servers, and therefore contains many of the changes that have been made to the game over the years, such as UI improvements, bug fixes, changes to game systems, etc. In cases where we have updated or changed the layout of regions, the Legendary server uses the updated version of the regions. In cases where we have changed items or player abilities, the Legendary server uses those updated abilities. Some content or gameplay that isn’t appropriate to the Legendary server’s current level cap may be restricted, until that portion of the story unlocks with level cap increases (one does not simply walk into Mordor on Legendary until the time comes).
    They aren't even locking out bears and HEs! This is literally live + time lock.

  22. #22
    failed even before release
    Xolla;Tishina\Arkenstone

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurinuor View Post
    The reason behind your rant is: you are not VIP and want it for free. You did never put real money into the game, right?


    It's not a failure, it's a great idea and I like it!
    I was actualy meant SSG's resources. And you are wrong i have spent a lot of money into the game more than any other game in my life.
    Argohald 120 Champion(main), Phokalin 120 Guardian, Helectra 105 Warden Aegean eagles kinship in Evernight
    Aleziana 105 Lore master, Ellinas 100 Guardian, Armonia 65 Captain in Landroval

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleziana View Post
    I was actualy meant SSG's resources. And you are wrong i have spent a lot of money into the game more than any other game in my life.
    Okay, but nobody is forced to play on the legendary servers. It's additional! So nothing can "fail". I know a lot of people who will come back for this and they are really excited.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Palentian View Post
    This is literally live + time lock.
    Yep, it is....

    And I am OK with that.

    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

 

 
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload