We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Haddock View Post
    thanks for the link - think I've got that in my d/loaded utilities folder - but will give it a go regardless.
    re: mouse - have been thinking about that, and have just picked up a ps/2 mouse - waiting for a used keyboard to come from ebay, then will give 'em a go.

but re: temps - if all cores are staying below 50 degrees that's ok?
    I haven't been seeing anything over 45 with my 4.5 ghz o/clock.
    With an old AMD chip like mine, 50C would be just about OK, but with a modern Intel chip, it is barely idling, so that rules that out.
    (My Phenom 1090T just clocked 37C playing LOTRO on full everything).

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    With an old AMD chip like mine, 50C would be just about OK, but with a modern Intel chip, it is barely idling, so that rules that out.
    (My Phenom 1090T just clocked 37C playing LOTRO on full everything).
    actually HTM reported rather higher temps - going up to a max of 59C on one core - but as googling suggested that's still perfectly ok for an o/c'd modern chip, I guess I'm still ok there in terms of throttling (?).

yarbro - have you ever posted any HQ movies of gameplay with your athlon?

I was going to ask you how 'smooth' your gameplay is it, given max settings, but don't think a written description is really going to be that helpful.

I appreciate that there are the 'faultlines' in the game where a hitch / stutter is going to happen regardless of h/ware, but I'm intrigued by your contention re: older processors, and wonder if that is an approach that might yield smoother gameplay - even if overall fps is lower ...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Haddock View Post
    yarbro - have you ever posted any HQ movies of gameplay with your athlon?

I was going to ask you how 'smooth' your gameplay is it, given max settings, but don't think a written description is really going to be that helpful.

I appreciate that there are the 'faultlines' in the game where a hitch / stutter is going to happen regardless of h/ware, but I'm intrigued by your contention re: older processors, and wonder if that is an approach that might yield smoother gameplay - even if overall fps is lower ...
    I havent, as I didnt have the software to record with; I do have Relive now, mainly because my 5 y/o wants to be a YT star, but I havent played with it much. If I get a chance before we bugger off to China for most of December, I will post a link.

Some of what I said is specific to AMD cpus; the ranges AFTER Phenom II, but BEFORE Ryzen* are all terrible for things like gaming, although they score very well in benchmark tests. This is because AMD removed half the memory channels whilst only improving memory speeds slightly; so they get saturated and cannot keep up. Those benchmarks tests were "gamed" to give the best results.

As I've said, the FX6300 I had was OC'ed and over volted to 5.01GHz and ran on the very edge of thermal shutdown (55-58C) playing LOTRO, just to match the 1090T running at 3.7GHz (standard voltage), and max'ing out at 37C.

* I rate the "AM1" series as a decent lightweight system, even if there is no upgrade path now, I have a middle range "AM1" series that runs LOTRO pretty well on med-high settings; as smoothly as my OC'ed 1090T runs on high-ultra high, yet uses around 1/8th the power , and an obsolete 1GB HD6670 gfx card. Now I havent run MT with it, but it has handled everything up to Rohan without issues @35-40fps.

I now have my hands on a 4th Gen Intel i3 3.6GHz DDR3 system, so it will be interesting (after New Year), to compare how it handles LOTRO to the ancient X5450 Xeon 3GHz DDR2 system.
    (Ex government lease, looks like brand new (has brand new 120GB Intel SSD), and cost me £79!! 2nd hand, the parts would cost nearly triple that!!)

Same here, new to lotro. Played to lvl 18 so far and I quite like the game but I just can't deal with this stuttering/fps spikes or whatever he the heck it is anymore. Been playing on VIP server and planned on buying lotro points now for black friday but I don't see the point in spending money when it's like this after years ( I see threads going on way back )

I'm a bit confused there's not even more threads on this tho, I'm starting to wonder if there's a lot of people playing the game on older hardware that works better with the game engine or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Grolnir View Post
    Same here, new to lotro. Played to lvl 18 so far and I quite like the game but I just can't deal with this stuttering/fps spikes or whatever he the heck it is anymore. Been playing on VIP server and planned on buying lotro points now for black friday but I don't see the point in spending money when it's like this after years ( I see threads going on way back )

I'm a bit confused there's not even more threads on this tho, I'm starting to wonder if there's a lot of people playing the game on older hardware that works better with the game engine or something?
    like I said above, I've had this situation with all too many of the (high fantasy) games I've most keenly wanted to play over the years - both online and otherwise. Lotro is the first where I can see myself putting up with it (at least, shy of Rohan / MT - where it really is (crashingly) ott, based on a bit of swift travel I've indulged in ...), as the world design etc is just so well done and atmospheric (but only with max, or close-to, graphics settings!).

If only through some wondrous technical slight-of-hand, the techies could sort it out, but I would have to assume that's unlikely - unless the 64 bit client is produced out of the top hat after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Grolnir View Post

LOTRO game engine is from the era of single core cpus; so a strong, fast core is needed. Unfortunately, most modern cpu designs do away with the high Ghz, high power, high heat designs and go for lower power, multicore designs; so your multi-core cpu may chew through a modern game with much more advanced gfx, but choke on LOTRO because it cannot handle the single core load.

Also, newer games pass much of the intensive computation off to the gfx card - LOTRO does it ALL through the cpu, as gfx cards that could handle the load just didnt exist at the time the engine was written.

LOTRO game engine is from the era of single core cpus; so a strong, fast core is needed. Unfortunately, most modern cpu designs do away with the high Ghz, high power, high heat designs and go for lower power, multicore designs; so your multi-core cpu may chew through a modern game with much more advanced gfx, but choke on LOTRO because it cannot handle the single core load.

Also, newer games pass much of the intensive computation off to the gfx card - LOTRO does it ALL through the cpu, as gfx cards that could handle the load just didnt exist at the time the engine was written.
    you'd wonder if they couldn't at least revamp things so some of the graphical stuff could be passed over to the GFX card now - but having said that, I think they did that with EQ2 - now, don't laugh, but before the graphics were dumbed down at some pt. a few yrs back, at max settings that was a beautiful looking game - but same prob. as with Lotro - CPU was being asked to do everything. Saga of heroes did the same thing irrc - poor performance (although great looking at max settings), so they lowered the graphical quality and attempted to offload more of the work to the graphics card - but all it seemed to result in (as with EQ2) was a poorer looking game which ... still ran badly.

From what I have read, the ball was dropped by WB who had Turbine concentrate on mobile games that tanked. So by the time the issues with LOTRO were becoming critical, WB threw in the towel and there was no money for devs to do the job properly.

So all this new content is like chrome trim and go faster striped bolted onto a supercar chassis, but powered by a Model T Ford engine.

From what I have read, the ball was dropped by WB who had Turbine concentrate on mobile games that tanked. So by the time the issues with LOTRO were becoming critical, WB threw in the towel and there was no money for devs to do the job properly.

So all this new content is like chrome trim and go faster striped bolted onto a supercar chassis, but powered by a Model T Ford engine.
    very nicely put.

Wink Fixed for myself!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD212 View Post
    Hi,

So far I'm really enjoying Update 23, the visual changes and the Harvestfest fun but I am getting horrible hitching and stuttering. Now I've played LOTRO since day one so I know it always has some but this is a LOT more. Nothing changed on my end so I'm just wondering what's going on? I expect it to be like that in the Haunted Burrow or places loaded with players but I'm getting a significant hitch in various places.

Hey there, I just wanted to let y'all know in the forum having this problem, if you have g-sync or free-sync enabled that might be the problem. I was suffering through a ton of microstutter and hitching just like you and I ended up disabling freesync for this game in my AMD settings and voila! They problem is 99% gone, I rarely see any stutter anymore. I would make sure that is disabled and have the game installed on an SSD.

My specs:
    i7-4770k
    RX 590
    16gb ddr3 1600MHz
    SSD

I have got g-sync enabled - so will give this a shot - although I have a feeling (based upon, oh so many similar 'switches' over the years with a number of games) I'll be disappointed.

anyhow - pleased for you, hope it stays smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by 7ONr0CQUjV View Post
    I found a solution that has resolved this issue for me. Shilofax was a big help and allowed me to narrow in on the problem quickly.
    My computer has an Onboard LAN adapter --- RealTek PCIe GbE Family Controller
    It turns out since the launch of Windows 10 windows has not played nice with this adapter.
    First I went to the RealTek website and downloaded the newest driver but it dind't resolve the issue (I still recommend doing this as windows update will install a working driver from 2015 by default).
    Upon further research I discovered it's some of the settings that cause the device to malfunction.
    1. Right click the device and go to power management - uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"
    2. Under Advanced "Energy Efficient-Ethernet" - disable this
    3. Under Advanced "Green Ethernet" - disable this
    4. Under Advanced Speed and Duplex set a value I selected "100Mbps Full Duplex" but you may want to choose another option
    If this still doesn't resolve the issue you may also want to reset TCP/IP by typing this in a administrator command prompt "netsh int ip reset" (no quotes)

If this doesn't resolve the issue for you check all your USB devices to make sure they've got the most recent updates. Anything that's not working properly and causing the device manager to refresh frequently will cause the hitching issues in LoTRO. Start there and trouble shoot your peripherals by unplugging them one-by-one to see which is causing the problem.

I have the same driver and have just implemented this. Thanks for the help and hopefully it will work.

Uggh. I had almost given up on LOTRO because of this. I would play and intervals ranging from a minute on down to every few seconds there would be a freeze for half a second or so. Then the music would restart and the game would resume. This would happen even in the character selection screen, and so was completely unrelated to graphics settings, memory leaks, etc. I had played LOTRO for a couple years on this system without issues (after making enough tweaks to ensure that places like Bree would no longer force my machine to slow to a crawl) so I knew this had nothing to do with my machine's hardware, although I *DID* have the same Realtek ethernet card mentioned earlier. I tried the remedies in this thread (and others) without any success. I combed through logs, spent hours and hours searching the web, loading and unloading drivers from Dell and the compnent manufacturers' websites, even resetting my Windows 10 installation back to default. Hopefully my cure might work for someone else out there before they have to go through all this...

While trying to figure out what was going on I noticed that Device Manager was refreshing over and over again at fairly frequent intervals. I left it open on a second monitor, fired up LOTRO and sat on the character selection screen. Sure enough, when Device Manager refreshed Lotro would freeze and the music would restart a half second later. This was always followed by a second Device Manager refresh within a couple seconds that would not cause the LOTRO hitch. I watched the pattern repeat over and over again until I was absolutely sure. Every second Device Manager refresh would choke LOTRO.

Further investigation revealed that if I disabled *ALL* network adapters (WIFI, Ethernet, and a USB Ethernet adapter I was troubleshooting with) the Device Manager refreshes would stop. I logged into LOTRO, sat at the character select screen and then disabled the network adapters and, sure enough, no hitching or freezing until the timeout was done and it told me the network connection had been lost.

I did a lot more troubleshooting to try and zero in on the issue, but I will cut to the chase and give you the solution: Disable the SSDP Discovery Service. Most of you can do without this 24/7 as it's used to discover UPnP devices on the local network for things like media streaming. Some of you might just need to stop the service while you play LOTRO and then restart it when you are done.

And now, since I did a (as it turns out unnecessary) Windows 10 reset, I have a lot of stuff to re-install. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Challen66 View Post
    Uggh. I had almost given up on LOTRO because of this. I would play and intervals ranging from a minute on down to every few seconds there would be a freeze for half a second or so. Then the music would restart and the game would resume. This would happen even in the character selection screen, and so was completely unrelated to graphics settings, memory leaks, etc. I had played LOTRO for a couple years on this system without issues (after making enough tweaks to ensure that places like Bree would no longer force my machine to slow to a crawl) so I knew this had nothing to do with my machine's hardware, although I *DID* have the same Realtek ethernet card mentioned earlier. I tried the remedies in this thread (and others) without any success. I combed through logs, spent hours and hours searching the web, loading and unloading drivers from Dell and the compnent manufacturers' websites, even resetting my Windows 10 installation back to default. Hopefully my cure might work for someone else out there before they have to go through all this...

While trying to figure out what was going on I noticed that Device Manager was refreshing over and over again at fairly frequent intervals. I left it open on a second monitor, fired up LOTRO and sat on the character selection screen. Sure enough, when Device Manager refreshed Lotro would freeze and the music would restart a half second later. This was always followed by a second Device Manager refresh within a couple seconds that would not cause the LOTRO hitch. I watched the pattern repeat over and over again until I was absolutely sure. Every second Device Manager refresh would choke LOTRO.

Further investigation revealed that if I disabled *ALL* network adapters (WIFI, Ethernet, and a USB Ethernet adapter I was troubleshooting with) the Device Manager refreshes would stop. I logged into LOTRO, sat at the character select screen and then disabled the network adapters and, sure enough, no hitching or freezing until the timeout was done and it told me the network connection had been lost.

I did a lot more troubleshooting to try and zero in on the issue, but I will cut to the chase and give you the solution: Disable the SSDP Discovery Service. Most of you can do without this 24/7 as it's used to discover UPnP devices on the local network for things like media streaming. Some of you might just need to stop the service while you play LOTRO and then restart it when you are done.

And now, since I did a (as it turns out unnecessary) Windows 10 reset, I have a lot of stuff to re-install. :/
    We need a Poll, has is anyone NOT running Win10 suffering from this problem? And does this suggestion work for everyone who is suffering, and who has tried the other fixes.

All hail Challen66! I was playing a few weeks ago, going along perfectly fine, when my client started stuttering approximately every 30 seconds during the middle of a play session. It would freeze for about 1 second every 15-30 seconds, regardless of where I was, including on the character selection screen. I do not reboot my machine often, so I gave it a nice reboot. Problem remained after the restart and has continued to be an issue since then. I tried every graphical adjustment in the game known to man, including turning the graphics settings to the lowest possible option and disabling everything that could be disabled. No dice. The only result was that the game looked like a dog threw up on the screen, but it still froze every 30-ish seconds, just like clockwork, even on the char selection or creation screens.

Tried disabling the SSDP Discovery Service and I was just able to do a horse race without a single freeze! I have no idea why this spontaneously became an issue during the middle of a play session on a machine that had not had any recent Windows, driver, or client updates, but this fix worked. Thank you!
    Last edited by jtjavins; Jun 09 2019 at 02:41 PM.

Heh, well, I'm on Windows 10 and I've nearly always have that one turned off, since it is not needed for me. So, I've never had this issue causing hitches. Those, for me, were local load from hitting the disc. Another one that does this, for me, is when the screen saver refreshes once per day. That will affect LotRo, if I'm playing it when this happens. So let that be a warning to others that local client issues do occur and mindlessly blaming the servers for stuff that the servers can't control is daft. That, of course, doesn't mean that server side stuff, particularly load, can't cause hitching.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by cdq1958 View Post
    Heh, well, I'm on Windows 10 and I've nearly always have that one turned off, since it is not needed for me. So, I've never had this issue causing hitches. Those, for me, were local load from hitting the disc. Another one that does this, for me, is when the screen saver refreshes once per day. That will affect LotRo, if I'm playing it when this happens. So let that be a warning to others that local client issues do occur and mindlessly blaming the servers for stuff that the servers can't control is daft. That, of course, doesn't mean that server side stuff, particularly load, can't cause hitching.
    I was fairly certain the problem was on my local machine, because it wasn't tied to any particular area or activity. When you can set by your watch by a one-second lockup every 30 seconds on the *character creation screen* you probably need to take a look at your local machine. My hunter almost got killed while farming hides in the North Downs because the lockup would let the bull catch up to her and stun her (admittedly, she's a baby and I was hunting way above-level, but still...) That said, I still have the regular server-side stutters, of course, but those are manageable and to be expected on any MMO, especially one as old as LOTRO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2