We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Can I uninstall Akamai after Update 23?

The Update 23 Release notes say:
    "Akamai Netsession Download Manager technology has been removed. The http download functionality has been upgraded to be multi-threaded and more robust."

However:
    I still see "Akamai Netsession Interface" listed in Programs and Features on Windows.
    I also still see netsession_win.exe running in my process list.

Is this still in use after U23? Can I uninstall Akamai?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmBeaches View Post
    The Update 23 Release notes say:
    "Akamai Netsession Download Manager technology has been removed. The http download functionality has been upgraded to be multi-threaded and more robust."

However:
    I still see "Akamai Netsession Interface" listed in Programs and Features on Windows.
    I also still see netsession_win.exe running in my process list.

Is this still in use after U23? Can I uninstall Akamai?

Thank you.
    Yep you can uninstall it. I did the day the update went live & had no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by peachykins View Post
    Yep you can uninstall it. I did the day the update went live & had no issues.
    okay. thank you!

And for an official comment as well: Yes, you can opt to uninstall it if you wish.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Google+ - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    And for an official comment as well: Yes, you can opt to uninstall it if you wish.
    Okay. Thank you for the reply.

Also, I found that it appears possible that Akamai may be shared by other software on your computer.
    I found an app in the Windows control panel named "Akamai Netsession Interface Console" which would appear to list any other software that depends on Akamai if you want to check it before removing.