We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Key and Lootbox confusion.

Can someone clear up my key and lootbox confusion in as few words as possible? I'm hearing conflicting information from various sources.

Do sturdy steel keys still drop? Do the old lootboxes still drop?
    What are the new lootboxes? How to open them? What's in them?

Thank you.
    “ädvëntürës ärë nöt äll pönÿ-rïdës ïn mäÿ-sünshïnë.”

Do the old lootboxes still drop > no
    Do the strudy steel keys (SSK) still drop > no, they are still available on shop though.

There is two new lootboxes, one 10 > 115, the other 116 > 120. Stuff in those is scaled to your lvl. they're both opened by black steel key (BSK).

But the SSK you stocked are still usable on old lootboxes you may have stocked.
    Contrary to what has been said, it seems gorgoroth lootboxes still use BSK, when they said they would use SSK.

Thank you!

Okay, actually this raises another question. For those 10 - 115 lootboxes, how do you get BSK while you are leveling? Store only, or do they drop?

The 3-year and 7-year anniversary boxes will give you black steel keys, but other than that, store only. I did see a few on the AH for 900 gold or so, if that's in your budget.

All keys are exclusively store only now. Even meta deeds that used to award keys no longer do so.

Quote Originally Posted by NeebPlayer View Post
    Thank you!

Okay, actually this raises another question. For those 10 - 115 lootboxes, how do you get BSK while you are leveling? Store only, or do they drop?
    All keys for lootboxes are now Store only. However, while leveling, you will be earning a parallel currency called Motes of Enchantment (or Embers of Enchantment at cap level), and those Motes can be exchanged for lootbox gear from a Motes of Enchantment Vendor.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Existing leftover Sturdy Steel keys people had can only open leftover existing old lootboxes (up to Anorien)
    It will take a while for people to sell remaining keys to those with remaining boxes (or vice versa) and what next is anyone's guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanhalt View Post
    Do the old lootboxes still drop > no
    Do the strudy steel keys (SSK) still drop > no, they are still available on shop though.

There is two new lootboxes, one 10 > 115, the other 116 > 120. Stuff in those is scaled to your lvl. they're both opened by black steel key (BSK).

But the SSK you stocked are still usable on old lootboxes you may have stocked.
    Contrary to what has been said, it seems gorgoroth lootboxes still use BSK, when they said they would use SSK.

So with other words my ssk are worthless since I don't have any old lootboxes anymore. There are several items that are not on the vendor from these old boxes like stat tomes which are now only in the store and the pick-a-mount box (these mounts are not on the vendor) unless I didn't find that vendor yet.

new lootboxes are 30 to 115 not 10 to 115 .

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    All keys for lootboxes are now Store only. However, while leveling, you will be earning a parallel currency called Motes of Enchantment (or Embers of Enchantment at cap level), and those Motes can be exchanged for lootbox gear from a Motes of Enchantment Vendor.
    Will previous items that were "lootbox unique" such as the items listed below still be obtainable within the game in any way? Also, the "lootbox gear" you mention, is this only cap-level (or 115 and 120) armor, or also e.g..... level 40 or level 60 armor while leveling up?

Lootbox items we can no longer easily get: (The tomes

- Mithril Coins
    - Pick A Mount Box
    - Tome of Defense
    - Tome of Attack
    - Level 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, and 80 Jewelry pieces.

The tomes were regularly awarded from lootboxes. I know they are already awarded from hobbit presents, but maybe we can increase their drop rate slightly to off-set? Also make them NOT bind on account so we can easily pass them around in kin or sell them.

The Jewelry pieces were great as well. I saved them ALL, and when I launched a new alt.... I had some bling for them at various levels.

With the removal of lootboxes it seems that some of these rewards will no longer be available to anyone unless they BUY a key from the store.

I would make a case here to add some of the above items to the daily Hobbit Presents, or make the Hobbit Presents a little better in its rewards as an offset to losing the regular old lootboxes.

So....

Can we....

- add "Mathom Jewelry" to hobbit presents to off-set the loss of level jewelry from old lootboxes? Same as the armor, get a box and whichever character opens it gets one that is on their level and with their stats.
    - add the "Pick a mount" to hobbit presents. (Also make them bound to account so you can move it to another toon)
    - increase Defense and Attack tomes drop rates in hobbit presents, and make them unbound?
    - I know Mithril coins are already on hobbit presents, but perhaps increase its chance ever so slightly.

Finally, allow us to "disenchant" things awarded by hobbit presents if we want.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    So....

Can we....
    Just. Remove. All. The. Loot-boxes.

Fini.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfoot View Post
    Just. Remove. All. The. Loot-boxes.

Fini.
    This.

Oh and SSG with this no one means remove them from the game and sell them in the store. We mean remove all lootboxes from the game and remove all keys from store as well. Not to put lootboxes in store. Remove them to never be seen anywhere again. Neither keys nor lootboxes, so that You focus on designig fun content again and not to design grind with abyssmally low rewards to make us buy keys in the store. Lootboxes and their keys have totally taken over the design decisions it seems. It's like some have been struck with Dragon sickness now that we enter dwarven regions.
    Last edited by Lord.Funk; Oct 12 2018 at 04:56 PM.

We do intend to offer a vendor that will provide appropriate lootboxes to those with old Sturdy Steel Keys. Release Date TBA.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

We do intend to offer a vendor that will provide appropriate lootboxes to those with old Sturdy Steel Keys. Release Date TBA.
    That's fantastic, thanks!

So now we can pay for boxes and then pay for keys in the store. And neither will drop anywhere yet the box contains loot that cannot be attained anywhere in game (pick a mount, mithril coins, etc).

Where's Hurin?

Release TBA? Why wasn't it released with the patch?? Oh right...you want to make sure people buy those keys in the store for that quick cash grab. Silly me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfoot View Post
    Release TBA? Why wasn't it released with the patch?? Oh right...you want to make sure people buy those keys in the store for that quick cash grab. Silly me.
    a) it wasn't a patch - it was an update....
    b) they had new areas and a rebalance or gear and lootboxes to consider
    c) we've been told to hold on to the keys as they'll let us get boxes
    d) so why be snarky and sarcastic unless you were going to do that no matter what?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    So now we can pay for boxes and then pay for keys in the store. And neither will drop anywhere yet the box contains loot that cannot be attained anywhere in game (pick a mount, mithril coins, etc).

Where's Hurin?

I already read someone else comment in another thread saying "Hurin was right". That made me smile inside. Yes he was. He was not alone in his conclusions, but yes he was definetly right all along.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Funk View Post

I already read someone else comment in another thread saying "Hurin was right". That made me smile inside. Yes he was. He was not alone in his conclusions, but yes he was definetly right all along.
    Hurin was right is also saying (although I am paraphrasing), "don't buy keys from the Lotro Store, ever". If we want SSG to stop with all this loot box/key business then we need to collectively not support it!

Nuff said!

Jorlan

Quote Originally Posted by TaSwavo4God View Post
    a) it wasn't a patch - it was an update....
    b) they had new areas and a rebalance or gear and lootboxes to consider
    c) we've been told to hold on to the keys as they'll let us get boxes
    d) so why be snarky and sarcastic unless you were going to do that no matter what?
    You've almost mastered the art of deflection. Well done. Have a cookie.

And by all along, you mean a long long time. I can imagine somewhere in the course of this Beta, he might have gotten a stroke and that's why he isn't here. (Just kidding. I hope not.)

So now we can pay for boxes and then pay for keys in the store.
    No, the vendor that Cordovan is referring to is for OLD boxes so people can use up their OLD sturdy steel keys. The Black Steel keys you buy in store won't even open those.
    The boxes on that vendor will likely sell for mere silver or so, just to allow people to use old keys.

And neither will drop anywhere yet the box contains loot that cannot be attained anywhere in game (pick a mount, mithril coins, etc).
    Yeah, something needs to be done for the pick a mount.... I say add it to Hobbit Gifts, and make it Bound to Account so you can move it.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Alewyze View Post
    My apologies to Hurin for past criticisms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormtower View Post
    Just three words:

Hurin

was

right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormtower View Post
    Yeah, this. Hurin has been very eloquent and vocal about the design degradation in the game since the advent of the store.
    Quote Originally Posted by sapienze View Post
    Many people have seen this evolution in action. Hurin is by far the most vocal and has maintained his view with a steadfast that never wavers. Looking at the history from the inception of the store to today, it become more obvious with each release.
    Where's Hurin?
    Quote Originally Posted by jorlan View Post
    Hurin was right is also saying (although I am paraphrasing), "don't buy keys from the Lotro Store, ever". If we want SSG to stop with all this loot box/key business then we need to collectively not support it!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeebPlayer View Post
    And by all along, you mean a long long time. I can imagine somewhere in the course of this Beta, he might have gotten a stroke and that's why he isn't here. (Just kidding. I hope not.)

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    No, the vendor that Cordovan is referring to is for OLD boxes so people can use up their OLD sturdy steel keys. The Black Steel keys you buy in store won't even open those.
    The boxes on that vendor will likely sell for mere silver or so, just to allow people to use old keys.
    They are still selling the old sturdy keys in the store.

I would be fine with adding this lootbox vendor if they removed the keys from the store and it was just a service for those who have a stockpile of otherwise-useless keys. No problem at all.

I would also be fine with it if they added everything (EVERYTHING) that was available in the old boxes to a barter vendor somewhere. Barter motes for mithril coins or a pick-a-mount box, sounds good.

Instead, they are selling old lootboxes, now unobtainable in-game, for a TBA price, plus old keys, also unobtainable in-game, for money, to provide loot, at least some of which is unobtainable in-game.

They had better convert those Character Bound Sturdy Steel Keys awarded from the Anniversary Gifts to Character Bound Black Steel Keys.
    It is logical, in view of the times in which we live. But to be logical is not to be right, and nothing on God's earth could ever make it right!
    - Judge Dan Haywood

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast